the home of the turntable

Setup issues

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers

Setup issues

Postby travisfriedel » 13 Aug 2017 01:04

Hi, I'm having some issues with my new setup and I need some feedback.
I recently purchased:
a pair of Kenwood 165Watt max/60Watt min/8ohm 3 way speakers.
a Kenwood Integrated amplifier 7100a model (circa 1979).

I hooked up everything to my turntable and when I turn the amp on the sound is VERY loud and its not very clear. With the volume knob at 0, I can barely turn it and it will be too loud. I"m not sure whats going on.

I tried using a different pair of speakers (Technics 3 way speaker) and the sound was better but the loudness was too high and the volume knob was barely above 0.

What am I doing wrong? My turntable does not come with a ground wire, could this be a problem? I'm using 16 gauge wire with pin connectors at the ends of each wire to the speakers and the Amplifier wire terminals. Basically if you raise the volume just a bit you get a bunch of distortion. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
travisfriedel

United States of America

Re: Setup issues

Postby Sunwire » 13 Aug 2017 01:56

What kind of turntable?
Does it have a built in phono preamp?
If the turntable has a built in phono preamp, you need to turn the preamp off.
If you can't turn the turntable's preamp off, you need to plug the output from the turntable unto the AUX or another high level input on your amp, not the phono input.
If your amp has a MC/MM switch for phono, switch it to MM.
Sunwire
contributor

United States of America

Postby travisfriedel » 13 Aug 2017 02:51

That did it! Thanks I can't believe I didn't think to plug it into the AUX switch.
travisfriedel

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 13 Aug 2017 09:50

Kenwood- KT-7500 KA-7100.jpg

If you have the Kenwood KA-7100 amp as pictured here you can download an owners manual from HiFi Engine which is a sister site to this one.

It will explain what you can hook up to where, and how all of the controls work. Also specs, etc..
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby Pretorius » 14 Aug 2017 21:20

What is your turntable?

It seems you have learned your turntable has a built in phono preamp because the AUX input fixed your problem. Now find a way to turn off or bypass that built in preamp so you can hook your turntable to the phono input on your Kenwood.

I reckon the Kenwood KA-7100 has a better preamp than your turntables built in one. Its worth testing it anyway.
Pretorius

United States of America

Return to Amplifiers and Loudspeakers