What do you have on the workbench?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Dual_Jean

What do you have on the workbench?

Post by Dual_Jean » 02 Jun 2017 23:49

I’m inviting in here all audio enthusiasts who love repairing their gears or restoring them. Enthusiasts include, professionals, semi or passionate just like me who are doing this as a hobby.

I bet I’m not the only one and this is the reason why I decided to create a dedicated post just for this purpose since I couldn’t find anything similar under this forum and also because I could see passionate sparingly post their projects as trophies.

Now is the time to share your tips and tricks to counter the effects of time on our old apparels that we would like to bring 6 feet under ground...

The ball is now open! :D

Dual_Jean

Re: What do you have on the workbench?

Post by Dual_Jean » 02 Jun 2017 23:57

Here's what I have

- 3 X B&O Beolab 5000 1967
- 2 X B&O Beomaster 5000 1967
- 2 X UHER CV140
- 1 X DUAL CV40

The one on the bench is actually the B&O Beolab 5000 which I'm breaking-in. It meets or surpasses original specifications in some areas. Best sounding restored amplifier to date.

I know, I need to clear the other stuff in this garage :lol:
Attachments
IMG_9350.JPG
(99.33 KiB) Downloaded 384 times

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 03 Jun 2017 02:25

On the bench is a pioneer pl 530. A customer bought this turntable off of ebay and it does not return the tonearm to the rest stand, easy fix but it needs a complete service. In the wings is a dual 1229, dual 1218, dual 1258, and a realistic lab 54 and lab 400. All need compltete servicing. And there are at least 15 more turntables my garage that need work. I have two customers that buy and sell vintage stereo equipment by the car load. So they keep me pretty busy. :D

gofar99
United States of America

Post by gofar99 » 03 Jun 2017 16:40

Hi, Right now a Transcriptor Saturn. An odd duck (cool looking though) with more adjustments than the average automobile. The Vestigial Arm is a trip all by itself. The photo is set up for show, it now has an ADC-XLM mounted and a dust bug. Acrylic cover on the way as well as a few small parts. It does play now. The tone arm takes a bit of rethinking to use. Only the very front part lifts. The brush is actually in the wrong position. It goes parallel to the arm in a more rearward location. Funny thing is that it makes a nice rest for the cartridge. Otherwise it swings free. I also have a Marantz 2265B and a custom valve preamp on the bench now. In a box next to the bench (next project) is a Talos security system DVR. Talk about uniformative setup instructions.
Transcriptor Front.jpg
(270.16 KiB) Downloaded 358 times

Dual_Jean

Post by Dual_Jean » 03 Jun 2017 19:28

Good for you man!

If old stuff was that bad, you wouldn't that busy I think. The more I'm restoring old audio gears, the more I realize how electronic engineer where so good building HIFI equipment without all the chips we have today.

It should keep you busy for many years to come still! :lol:

musicmn wrote:On the bench is a pioneer pl 530. A customer bought this turntable off of ebay and it does not return the tonearm to the rest stand, easy fix but it needs a complete service. In the wings is a dual 1229, dual 1218, dual 1258, and a realistic lab 54 and lab 400. All need compltete servicing. And there are at least 15 more turntables my garage that need work. I have two customers that buy and sell vintage stereo equipment by the car load. So they keep me pretty busy. :D

Dual_Jean

Post by Dual_Jean » 03 Jun 2017 19:30

Oh boy!

This is really serious man? When this turntable was manufactured?

Interesting machine :D

gofar99 wrote:Hi, Right now a Transcriptor Saturn. An odd duck (cool looking though) with more adjustments than the average automobile. The Vestigial Arm is a trip all by itself. The photo is set up for show, it now has an ADC-XLM mounted and a dust bug. Acrylic cover on the way as well as a few small parts. It does play now. The tone arm takes a bit of rethinking to use. Only the very front part lifts. The brush is actually in the wrong position. It goes parallel to the arm in a more rearward location. Funny thing is that it makes a nice rest for the cartridge. Otherwise it swings free. I also have a Marantz 2265B and a custom valve preamp on the bench now. In a box next to the bench (next project) is a Talos security system DVR. Talk about uniformative setup instructions.
Transcriptor Front.jpg

gofar99
United States of America

Post by gofar99 » 03 Jun 2017 20:55

Hi, Approximately 1972.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 04 Jun 2017 00:47

I have another thread discussing my issues with a Carver MXR-900 receiver, "The Receiver" as old Carver marketing literature refers to it.
Carver900.jpg
(149.3 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
So far, I have replaced the four big power supply capacitors, and switched around some of the transistors in the input section. Still a few issues to sort out :?

Last week, I had this Adcom GTP-500II preamp on the bench with an FM tuner problem.
AdcomGTP500ii.jpg
(225.15 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
The fix was a $2 tuner trim pot. I had been looking for a pre-amp mate for my Adcom GFA-555, and finally found one for cheap, only requiring the $2 fix. I'd love to sell this combo to a good home :D

toaster999
Great Britain

Post by toaster999 » 04 Jun 2017 09:51

Sony STR-7035. Gorgeous condition and Amplifier section works well. Tuner section doesn't however and not sure how to test it - I believe the FM modulator is duff, but how do I test it?

Dual_Jean

Post by Dual_Jean » 04 Jun 2017 13:11

That's a good return on the investment! :lol:
jdjohn wrote:I have another thread discussing my issues with a Carver MXR-900 receiver, "The Receiver" as old Carver marketing literature refers to it.
Carver900.jpg
So far, I have replaced the four big power supply capacitors, and switched around some of the transistors in the input section. Still a few issues to sort out :?

Last week, I had this Adcom GTP-500II preamp on the bench with an FM tuner problem.
AdcomGTP500ii.jpg
The fix was a $2 tuner trim pot. I had been looking for a pre-amp mate for my Adcom GFA-555, and finally found one for cheap, only requiring the $2 fix. I'd love to sell this combo to a good home :D

Dual_Jean

Post by Dual_Jean » 04 Jun 2017 13:15

You're getting into something I'm actually learning. You will need at least an 200 Mhz oscilloscope and the service manual but make sure all the rest is in good shape, a modulator doesn't go just like this.

toaster999 wrote:Sony STR-7035. Gorgeous condition and Amplifier section works well. Tuner section doesn't however and not sure how to test it - I believe the FM modulator is duff, but how do I test it?

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 04 Jun 2017 17:38

This little guy is on my bench at the moment:

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq15 ... f3gcyh.jpg

I'm working on a Kenwood KD-2033 turntable. The plastic container in the picture is normally attached to the underside of the unit. In it is a small plastic rotor, it rotates in the silicone fluid in the container to slow down the movement of the tonearm's auto-return.

Fluid has been leaking out of the container, and I needed to refill it. The thick oil is slowly dripping into the container, with the help of a metal clip and aforementioned little helper :D

(many thanks to musicmn for the advice. I have the turntable up and running, auto-return is working and I have sound in both channels. Fitting the container will be the last thing I do, I don't want fluid leaking out again when the unit is on it's side...)

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 07 Jun 2017 01:06

Hey Jabi that' s a really neat way of filling that cup. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever come across one of those again. I spoke too soon about that PL 530 being and easy fix. The customer that owns this turntable bought it off of flea bay as a working turntable with a fresh coat of new veneer. The turntable looks great but the mechanism is a mess. It looks like to me that all the seller did was remove the entire mechanism. Then veneer the base and just put the mechanism back in and called it good. So far I have found that the rods that activate the micro switches for the small tonearm motor are all bent up. The contact strips that ride on the cam gear attached to the tonearm motor were bent and in the wrong position. The cue rod was covered in grease so it dropped like a rock. The main part of the mechanism still has all the old black graphite grease on it. The pitch controls are hard to turn and need cleaning with deoxit. And the rest of the switches need to be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated so they work nice and smooth. The biggest problem I have is that I cannot get the tonearm to return at the end of a record. Something is out of position and so far I haven't been able to find it. Oh well tomorrows another day. :D

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 07 Jun 2017 13:05

I did a full strip and reveneer job on a PL-530 a couple of years ago. I took lots of pictures, maybe you can make out how the gears are supposed to be ligned up by looking at them?

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=70751&hilit=PL+530

viperon

Post by viperon » 07 Jun 2019 23:18

Japi Roelofs wrote:
04 Jun 2017 17:38
This little guy is on my bench at the moment:

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq15 ... f3gcyh.jpg

I'm working on a Kenwood KD-2033 turntable. The plastic container in the picture is normally attached to the underside of the unit. In it is a small plastic rotor, it rotates in the silicone fluid in the container to slow down the movement of the tonearm's auto-return.

Fluid has been leaking out of the container, and I needed to refill it. The thick oil is slowly dripping into the container, with the help of a metal clip and aforementioned little helper :D

(many thanks to musicmn for the advice. I have the turntable up and running, auto-return is working and I have sound in both channels. Fitting the container will be the last thing I do, I don't want fluid leaking out again when the unit is on it's side...)
Hi japi

Im having the same issue (and more others) with the Kenwood kd-2033.
the center spindle
the motor absorber mountings

any chance we can discuss a bit?
do you have some photos for reference? service manual?
thanks