Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Post Reply
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20346
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by vinyl master » 19 Jul 2016 07:41

Old Septimus wrote:I've been very lucky.

I found in our local recycling depot:

> Pioneer SX828. Controls needed cleaning, and I replaced about 5 lamps. The AM antenna was badly damaged, found one on Ebay and replaced it. This thing really sounds nice. Even had the rare speaker plugs!!

>Pioneer SX626. Controls were cleaned, some lamps replaced. I use it at work.

>Pioneer SA8100. Replaced output transistors on one side. Cleaned controls etc. Probably my favorite amp of all time. It's the one I use in my "man cave"

>Sansui SR2050 turntable. Ugly shape when I found it. After about 6 hours work it still looks ugly. As well there is serious motor hum.....but it works. Won't use it.

>Sony PS11 turntable. Really nice as found. Did nothing to it but replace stylus.

Then I was given:

>Pair of Dynaco A25s. Ugly as received with paint speckles and some Hippy style candle wax on cabinets, however I fixed that. Replaced capacitors and cleaned switches. Danish oil on case. Very nice.

>Pioneer PL514 turntable. Superb as received.

I bought:

Kenwood KA8100 for 15 bucks at a thrift store. Needs all electrolytics replaced. Perhaps this winter.

Not bad, eh?
Not bad, indeed, Old Septimus...There must be something in the water up there in Canada...I don't know how else to describe it, but I'd love to find some deals like that! =P~

OK, garage sale I get...Freebie from a friend? OK...Good day at the recycling depot? Fair enough...Curbside pick-up? Oh, yeah! But what I'd love to know is if anyone ever pulled something good out of the town dump or landfill yet? What is the cruddiest, stinkiest, filthiest piece of "junk" treasure (esp. electronic "junk" treasure) that you ever took home and brought back to life again? :-k

Anyone got any REAL doozies??? :-k

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7503
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by Tinkaroo » 19 Jul 2016 11:38

Old Septimus wrote:I've been very lucky.

I found in our local recycling depot:

> Pioneer SX828. Controls needed cleaning, and I replaced about 5 lamps. The AM antenna was badly damaged, found one on Ebay and replaced it. This thing really sounds nice. Even had the rare speaker plugs!!

>Pioneer SX626. Controls were cleaned, some lamps replaced. I use it at work.

>Pioneer SA8100. Replaced output transistors on one side. Cleaned controls etc. Probably my favorite amp of all time. It's the one I use in my "man cave"

>Sansui SR2050 turntable. Ugly shape when I found it. After about 6 hours work it still looks ugly. As well there is serious motor hum.....but it works. Won't use it.

>Sony PS11 turntable. Really nice as found. Did nothing to it but replace stylus.

Then I was given:

>Pair of Dynaco A25s. Ugly as received with paint speckles and some Hippy style candle wax on cabinets, however I fixed that. Replaced capacitors and cleaned switches. Danish oil on case. Very nice.

>Pioneer PL514 turntable. Superb as received.

I bought:

Kenwood KA8100 for 15 bucks at a thrift store. Needs all electrolytics replaced. Perhaps this winter.

Not bad, eh?

Those were some really great acquisitions Old Septimus! 8)

You have some lovely vintage components which didn't break the bank in the process. I can see you appreciate some of these classics as much as some of us do too. =D>

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia
Posts: 2666
Joined: 02 Mar 2006 05:08
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by davidsss » 19 Jul 2016 11:51

Japi Roelofs wrote:Picked up this Pioneer SA-7500 amp this afternoon, at one of the local thrift stores, for the grand total of € 10.
I really, really don't need another amp, but for this price I just couldn't pass it up. The lady at the counter plugged it in for me and it powered up, but I haven't tested it yet. It could use a bit of a clean up too, but otherwise there's no outside damage, except for some corrosion on the cover...

https://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq1 ... qdagjt.jpg
My first amp was something like that, maybe an earlier model. I seem to recall it was about 20wpc and it served me well for about 5 years. I think I bought it when I was about 15 or 16.

Good find, great price.

DS

Dolphin17
senior member
senior member
Posts: 356
Joined: 11 Aug 2015 20:17

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by Dolphin17 » 19 Jul 2016 13:12

Both my amp, a Nikko trm-750, and my tuner, a akai at-2400, I got for free off a local ROTC unit that was updating there stereo system and they were about to throw them away. Luckily I noticed them in time. If I haven't I probably wouldn't have had a working stereo for a lot longer. They have needed zero work done after I cleaned them with deoxit. The amp sometimes messes up one of the channels, but that's rare now. I'm very pleased with them both.

Old Septimus
member
member
Canada
Posts: 66
Joined: 01 Feb 2015 19:03
Location: The Mountains of Alberta Canada

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by Old Septimus » 19 Jul 2016 14:54

vinyl master wrote: OK, garage sale I get...Freebie from a friend? OK...Good day at the recycling depot? Fair enough...Curbside pick-up? Oh, yeah! But what I'd love to know is if anyone ever pulled something good out of the town dump or landfill yet? What is the cruddiest, stinkiest, filthiest piece of "junk" treasure (esp. electronic "junk" treasure) that you ever took home and brought back to life again? :-k

Anyone got any REAL doozies??? :-k
Hi Vinyl Master,
This is not a "landfill" site. We have a recycling depot that separates the electronics like computers, stereos, televisions, microwaves etc. from bio waste. Garden waste, like lawn clippings and leaves are dumped in separate bins.
All the electronics is generally quite clean, even though it can get rained on.

Old Septimus
member
member
Canada
Posts: 66
Joined: 01 Feb 2015 19:03
Location: The Mountains of Alberta Canada

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by Old Septimus » 19 Jul 2016 18:41

Tinkaroo wrote: I can see you appreciate some of these classics as much as some of us do too. =D>
Yes, I can admire and appreciate the new equipment, but at the age of 71, my hearing will be compromised.
( I mean I can hardly hear it when the wife asks me to take out the garbage. )

There is certain cachet to the older stuff, what with the wood, the decorative metal, the placement of the controls and the quality of the workmanship back then. The audio is also excellent or excellent enough for these old ears.

Progman2112
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 310
Joined: 15 Aug 2015 01:13

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by Progman2112 » 19 Jul 2016 23:31

Old Septimus,in regards to the 2050TT,my 1050c's motor started to make some noise so i oiled it according to manual but found that the oil lines were clogged.So pulled up on belt pulley/capstan and squeezed oil around the base of it and worked capstan up and down.Motor nice and quiet now,it was just thirsty.By the way,a buddy of mine who works at a mini-storage found a McIntosh4100 receiver in a dumpster there.I'm at his house and see it in his garage with stuff piled on top of it.He didn't even know what he had!I cleaned,lubed and polished it up and it works fine.

Old Septimus
member
member
Canada
Posts: 66
Joined: 01 Feb 2015 19:03
Location: The Mountains of Alberta Canada

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by Old Septimus » 20 Jul 2016 01:26

Progman2112 wrote:Old Septimus,in regards to the 2050TT,my 1050c's motor started to make some noise so i oiled it according to manual but found that the oil lines were clogged.So pulled up on belt pulley/capstan and squeezed oil around the base of it and worked capstan up and down.Motor nice and quiet now,it was just thirsty.By the way,a buddy of mine who works at a mini-storage found a McIntosh4100 receiver in a dumpster there.I'm at his house and see it in his garage with stuff piled on top of it.He didn't even know what he had!I cleaned,lubed and polished it up and it works fine.
When I brought the unit home I removed the motor in my unit, and lubricated the bearings. Then I cleaned the lines.

I created new vibration dampers for the motor using Sorbothane (a remarkable material, by the way)and did the same for the power transformer. I even temporarily raised the whole turntable on a foam pad, but even after all this I get a motor hum. I stop the motor, no hum.....maybe I'm too fussy, but my Pioneer PL514 has no hum...nothing.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something.....but what, I don't know.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20346
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by vinyl master » 20 Jul 2016 02:13

Old Septimus wrote:
vinyl master wrote: OK, garage sale I get...Freebie from a friend? OK...Good day at the recycling depot? Fair enough...Curbside pick-up? Oh, yeah! But what I'd love to know is if anyone ever pulled something good out of the town dump or landfill yet? What is the cruddiest, stinkiest, filthiest piece of "junk" treasure (esp. electronic "junk" treasure) that you ever took home and brought back to life again? :-k

Anyone got any REAL doozies??? :-k
Hi Vinyl Master,
This is not a "landfill" site. We have a recycling depot that separates the electronics like computers, stereos, televisions, microwaves etc. from bio waste. Garden waste, like lawn clippings and leaves are dumped in separate bins.
All the electronics is generally quite clean, even though it can get rained on.
I've heard and know of places like that, Old Septimus...By the way, how often do you get a chance to go down there, and is it rare or common to find decent stereo equipment getting thrown away with the rest of the so-called "junk"? I was just curious, if anyone in GENERAL has a good old-school "I was just scavenging through a pile of old trash, dirty diapers and banana peels and I found THIS!" kind of story from back in the day...On the curb side, stuff isn't often so visible or clean, so you never know what's there unless you're looking for it...Has anyone ever seen a stereo just sitting there with a sign that said, "FREE TO A GOOD HOME"? How about a box of records??? :-k Anyone ever find a stereo for free, and even for free, passed it up due to it's condition or model? :-k Has anyone ever regretted later not going back and picking it up? :-k

A co-worker friend of mine once related going into a wealthy, well-to-do suburb and seeing an entertainment center on the curb that she had just seen in one of our local furniture outlets for about $1000.00...Same brand, same model, too! She was actually looking for one for a back room, so she loaded it up in her truck, and took it home...It worked out nicely, and she saved $1000.00 in the process...She told me that someone even threw out half of an old car's body panels and parts right to the curb! :shock: You gotta wonder about people like this who have such riches that they can afford to throw away items like this... :-k

Progman2112
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 310
Joined: 15 Aug 2015 01:13

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by Progman2112 » 20 Jul 2016 05:29

Old Septimus,there's a place on the web called organdonorparts.com that is all TT parts.They have alot 2050 parts including a motor.My 1050 was running slow,turns out it was a overseas model with the 50hz capstan mounted.Found this site and got a 60hz capstan and TT up to speed now.These are well built and nice looking too.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7503
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by Tinkaroo » 20 Jul 2016 10:25

I think it is great to be able to give some of this equipment a new home and the love and care it needs, rather than just consign it to a dump for disposal.

There is too much today that gets thrown out over small issues, or since it's not the latest fad, or because it isn't built to last in the case of much of what is available to the consumer today.
Dual 1015.JPG
(319.41 KiB) Downloaded 954 times
This is my Dual 1015F turntable. I got it locally from a collector in plug and play condition, complete with base, dust cover and Shure M91ED cartridge for 80 dollars Canadian.

henkNL

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by henkNL » 20 Jul 2016 17:00

We also have a recycling depot in our city so I will certainly have a look there :mrgreen: Maybe I'm as lucky as you were, Old Septimus :D

spaceace
Posts: 1
Joined: 20 Jul 2016 17:22

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by spaceace » 20 Jul 2016 22:25

My favorite cheap Hi-Fi purchase was my bedroom receiver an MCS 3248. It was distributed by JC Penny back in the day. There were a number of manufacturers of this type of second label receiver, from the looks of the inside it must be japanese. THe workmanship is first rate. The sound in incredible with CD but what I like the most is the tuner. It is a lowly 3 gang unit but it sounds sweet.

25.00 5 years ago on E bay.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada
Posts: 7503
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 20:00
Location: Pixie Hollow by The Bay

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by Tinkaroo » 20 Jul 2016 22:52

spaceace wrote:My favorite cheap Hi-Fi purchase was my bedroom receiver an MCS 3248. It was distributed by JC Penny back in the day. There were a number of manufacturers of this type of second label receiver, from the looks of the inside it must be japanese. THe workmanship is first rate. The sound in incredible with CD but what I like the most is the tuner. It is a lowly 3 gang unit but it sounds sweet.

25.00 5 years ago on E bay.
That sounds like a great deal on a nice receiver. The consensus is that this model was built by NEC for JC Penny, but Technics also built some of their equipment. 8)

The last two digits indicate the power output of 48 watts per channel which ain't too shabby as Adam Sandler might say.

If you have a picture to share, it would be nice to see it.

Old Septimus
member
member
Canada
Posts: 66
Joined: 01 Feb 2015 19:03
Location: The Mountains of Alberta Canada

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by Old Septimus » 21 Jul 2016 02:23

vinyl master wrote: I've heard and know of places like that, Old Septimus...By the way, how often do you get a chance to go down there, and is it rare or common to find decent stereo equipment getting thrown away with the rest of the so-called "junk"?
I drive about 1/2 mile to work. Between work and home is the recycling depot, so I can go quite often, however they have posted a "No Scavenging" sign by the electronics so I don't pick around now as much as I did.

The truth is, I don't need more stuff and I'm thinking I'll get rid of some of it. A friend has been eyeing the Pioneer SX828 and he just might get it.

There is something a little distressing that someone would just dump perfectly good or easily reparable equipment just for convenience, but that is the time we live in.

Post Reply