Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jun 2019 02:02

The D3 is fabulous, Japi! =D> For both of those, I'd say you paid a pretty fair price! Hope you got some pictures of these beasts, because they are (at least IMO) beautiful pieces of machinery! :mrgreen:

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 16 Jun 2019 02:52

I could paint a happy face on mine :!: =P~ =D> :mrgreen: :idea: :wink: 8)

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jun 2019 03:00

lenjack wrote:
16 Jun 2019 02:52
I could paint a happy face on mine :!: =P~ =D> :mrgreen: :idea: :wink: 8)
Nah, just buy one of these! Much better! :wink:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-of-Ac ... 3133996290

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 16 Jun 2019 03:20

Japi Roelofs wrote:
15 Jun 2019 21:59
Tinkaroo wrote:
14 Jun 2019 11:37
"This thread is open to anybody who has an amp, receiver or set of speakers they really like and picked up dirt cheap, maybe under a hundred bucks at most"
I hope no forum rules are violated when I post about some of my better turntable finds? :D

For example, tonight I got a sweet deal; I picked up two turntables, €75 for the both of them. One is a good looking and fully functioning Technics SL-D3. It didn't come with a headshell, however I found the correct one mounted on the other turntable: a National Panasonic SL-31.

This SL-31 appears to be a bit of a rarity. Almost no information to be found anywhere. I did find a picture here:
http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/355/1718.html, but that's about it.

It has a beautiful big wooden plinth, a classy looking tonearm, and it came with an intact dust cover. The platter spins but I hear some squeeking noise coming from underneath. A good cleaning & lubing should sort that, it's a fully manual table so shouldn't be too big of a challenge.

I'll post some pics once I have her cleaned up a bit. I think it's from the early seventies. I'm excited!
That National Panasonic/Technics SL-31 is a nice turntable. Likely AC motored. The kind of Belt Drive Technics should have never stopped making. Which was better than the DC motored common examples in the USA, and maintainable and serviceable. Not to mention beautifully styled. Thanks for sharing.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 16 Jun 2019 19:19

Here's some pics of the SL-31. It has a temporary mat and headshell. Need to do some overhauling — a good cleaning, dust cover polish, motor lube etc. The squeeky noise is probably just the belt rubbing against the speed changer fork.

I like the look of the tonearm, it reminds me of some Jelco models.
National Panasonic SL-31 1.jpg
(172.16 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
National Panasonic SL-31 2.jpg
(199.79 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
National Panasonic SL-31 3.jpg
(154.33 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
National Panasonic SL-31 4.jpg
(99.34999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
National Panasonic SL-31 5.jpg
(199.51 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 17 Jun 2019 09:08

Your SL-31 turntable looks beautiful and well built Japi! 8)

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 17 Jun 2019 22:42

Sounder206 wrote:
11 Jun 2019 06:21
Recently picked up an original NAD 3020 integrated amp that I stumbled upon through local Craigslist for a staggering sum of $100 bucks. Apart from the minor cosmetic wear on the edges, everything works beautifully. The seller happened to be a producer for a public radio news and jazz station here in Seattle and she used the amp to record her voiceover work.

I am very impressed with this amp, even at 20 wpc it sounds full and dynamic. Puts my Pioneer Elite A-35R (with a supposedly 45 wpc) from 2008 to shame. I now see why the 3020 earned its legendary status for budget amps.

Now I’m on the hunt for the 4020 FM tuner to go with it.
I bought the 'i' model of this amp, back in the day, and it's is a very good amp. There were discussions at the time as to which of the various versions/updates sounded best - many liking the original. Since then I've also picked up, over the years, an original and an 'e' model. I've used them on there own and as a pre amp with a large Yamaha power amp. All sound good to my ears.
Like you I've had a hankering to get the matching tuner, just to complete the set, (I have the 5120 turntable also) - I picked up the later model tuner with digital display (4225, matches the later style 3020's), but the original with large tuning scale is definitely the one to have. In keeping with this thread I hoping to pick one up for not too much cash - that said, so many advertised (auction sites etc.) are not in good cosmetic condition, scuffs,dent's and scratches, I know accidents happen, but I wonder sometimes what people do to their kit.

Paul

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 18 Jun 2019 11:43

paul401 wrote:
17 Jun 2019 22:42
Sounder206 wrote:
11 Jun 2019 06:21
Recently picked up an original NAD 3020 integrated amp that I stumbled upon through local Craigslist for a staggering sum of $100 bucks. Apart from the minor cosmetic wear on the edges, everything works beautifully. The seller happened to be a producer for a public radio news and jazz station here in Seattle and she used the amp to record her voiceover work.

I am very impressed with this amp, even at 20 wpc it sounds full and dynamic. Puts my Pioneer Elite A-35R (with a supposedly 45 wpc) from 2008 to shame. I now see why the 3020 earned its legendary status for budget amps.

Now I’m on the hunt for the 4020 FM tuner to go with it.
I bought the 'i' model of this amp, back in the day, and it's is a very good amp. There were discussions at the time as to which of the various versions/updates sounded best - many liking the original. Since then I've also picked up, over the years, an original and an 'e' model. I've used them on there own and as a pre amp with a large Yamaha power amp. All sound good to my ears.
Like you I've had a hankering to get the matching tuner, just to complete the set, (I have the 5120 turntable also) - I picked up the later model tuner with digital display (4225, matches the later style 3020's), but the original with large tuning scale is definitely the one to have. In keeping with this thread I hoping to pick one up for not too much cash - that said, so many advertised (auction sites etc.) are not in good cosmetic condition, scuffs,dent's and scratches, I know accidents happen, but I wonder sometimes what people do to their kit.

Paul
I think cosmetics are important, especially when you think of possible resale some day when you are done with, plus it helps with the pride of ownership too. Some minor things can be fixed, but sometimes bad cosmetics mean neglect and abuse which isn't worth wasting one's time trying to fix.
In such cases better to move on since there are plenty more fish in the sea.

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 18 Jun 2019 21:03

Tinkaroo wrote:
18 Jun 2019 11:43

I think cosmetics are important, especially when you think of possible resale some day when you are done with, plus it helps with the pride of ownership too. Some minor things can be fixed, but sometimes bad cosmetics mean neglect and abuse which isn't worth wasting one's time trying to fix.
In such cases better to move on since there are plenty more fish in the sea.
Your right Tinkaroo, this was popular unit so quite a few out there - somewhere! I'm in no hurry so will keep looking as and when till we find a clean item. Some things are easier to fix up/renovate and restore to a good cosmetic condition, even it means quite a change to the original look/finish, which is fine if it means the item gets a new lease of life, but I'm always surprised at how little care is given by some to equipment that wasn't cheap to begin with. Worse case is when you see something like B&O kit, (where the looks/finish is quite a big part of it's appeal) all biffed 'n' bashed - some folks must have more dosh to waste than me! Like a good chap, I've always tried to look after the kit I've owned, - see my halo shining! :)

Paul

Sounder206

Post by Sounder206 » 21 Jun 2019 08:29

paul401 wrote:
17 Jun 2019 22:42

Paul
I had found and bought a 4020 FM tuner off eBay and it arrived last weekend. It was the only “Series 20” tuner in the US listed for sale. It’s fully functioning, light had been replaced, and not a single dent though the edges on the metal faceplate also had the paint chipped off which happens during handling and storage. Hope to find a close matching touch up gray paint for these units.

Planned on having an all (or mostly) period-correct NAD setup going on, so I’m looking out for the 5020 or similar turntable (or from other brands). And been looking at a cassette deck, the 6020, but the one on eBay was pretty shabby and will be waiting for a nicer example. Though I’ve read in another forum that NAD cassette decks aren’t very reliable. 🤔

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 21 Jun 2019 22:04

Hey Sounder,

well done on getting hold of the tuner. The 5020 is a rebadged ADC direct drive ( think it's the ADC1500), I have one, it sounds ok, the worst part is the 'hollow' plastic plinth, many have suggested filling the gaps with "plasticine" to dampen things down. There is also a 5020a, but this is a very different beast, fully auto, belt drive, with an unusual headshell - I only know all this following a rather confusing discussion on here some years back, trying to offer advice, it took a few postings before realising we were talking about two different decks! :)
There's a later deck that's a rebadged 'Project' - but I think you should go all out for a 5120 with the Flat Tonearm, again I do have one, it's different certainly, but sounds much better than it's appearance would suggest. The later version with more conventional tonearm is a bit of a cop out in my opinion! :)
Never had or used a NAD cassette deck so can't comment, but the cd players are supposed to sound ok, but again no direct experience. Happy hunting!

Paul

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 22 Jun 2019 12:47

I have never found a Pioneer receiver in the wild
.... drop by a smallmovong sale on the way to a noon start estate sale .and come out with an SX-828 for $25... great day. The estate only showed BPC and low end turntable but under the table and a cd player is an SX-1050 for $50. Two super nice Pioneers in 2 stops on one day! Pics will follow later!

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 22 Jun 2019 15:49

Mind blowing.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 23 Jun 2019 04:06

lenjack wrote:
22 Jun 2019 15:49
Mind blowing.
Quite a day. When golfing, I have one hole in one in my life, and I don't expect another one of those either :-)

Some pictures of the 105 and 828, including a Sherwood S-7100A ($30), 25 watts per, from the same estate. From what I read that era lots on my hands already. The 828 cabinet had some kind of hack refinish or repair - looks like a complete sand down and perhaps even a bit of stripper.

Pretty crazy for $110 in Canuck Bucks:
1.jpg
Pioneer SX-1050
(66.55 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
2.jpg
Pioneer SX-828
(59.18 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
3.jpg
(68.67 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
4.jpg
(66.62 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
5.jpg
Sherwood S-7100A
(61.79 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 23 Jun 2019 08:52

Those were some amazing finds Spensar! 8)

A top of the line Pioneer SX-828, a highly sought after SX-1050 and a nice Sherwood too!
Talk about winning the trifecta! :mrgreen:

PS-The front corner wood pieces on the SX-828 are more than likely pure rosewood so worth preserving. The rest of the cabinet would look excellent with some fresh veneer.