Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
packgrog

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Post by packgrog » 11 Jul 2016 21:15

https://scontent-mia1-1.cdninstagram.co ... 3906_n.jpg

My Sherwood S-7110b receiver and Sony TC-R303 cassette deck both came from Impact! thrift shops, for $35 and $10, respectively. I was pleasantly surprised by both. The receiver in particular was a surprisingly good match for my old Pioneer HPM-40 speakers that I'd inherited from my mom after she bought some Boston Acoustic ones while I was in jr. high. The Sherwood needs a little work (power switch doesn't work, and there's a LOT of hiss when the speakers are engaged), but the sound is actually quite enjoyable, particularly for something that I got for so little money.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 12 Jul 2016 10:19

Those are some excellent finds Packgrog!

The Sherwood looks beautiful with it's baby blue lights and classic design layout, and the cassette deck looks like a really nice one too! 8)

It's nice to find a great deal on something that brings us so much musical enjoyment for a bargain price too. It just goes to show that it doesn't have to cost a fortune to get some nice looking and sounding equipment to get started with. =D>

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 12 Jul 2016 15:04

My living room system:

Dynaco A 25 speakers (cost me $7 at a thrift store)
Sansui 4000 receiver (cost me $15, private party)
Pioneer PL 12-D turntable (free gift from a friend, he shipped it to me from St. Louis, MO), dust cover hinges, $25 eBay Buy It now.
Onkyo TA-R 410 cassette machine, $29

$76 total.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 12 Jul 2016 15:29

KentT wrote:My living room system:

Pioneer PL 12-D turntable (free gift from a friend, he shipped it to me from St. Louis, MO), dust cover hinges, $25 eBay Buy It now.

$76 total.
That's a pretty nice system and pretty hard to beat price-wise! =D>

I've also got some Dynaco A-25 speakers and a Sansui 2000X so can relate. The Pioneer turntable is also well respected too.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Jul 2016 15:43

KentT wrote:My living room system:

$76 total.
Your finds remind me of myself, Kent...The only problem is that I paid nowhere near $7 OR $15 for my Dynacos and Sansui receiver...Still, they were (and are) worth every penny! 8)

ccashell

Post by ccashell » 12 Jul 2016 16:30

Shortly after I moved in to my new neighborhood, I drove off to work one day and saw a turntable sitting in one of my neighbor's front yards. I couldn't stop right then, so when I came back, I checked again, and it was still there with a "free" sign on it. I picked it up and took it home. It was a Yamaha P-550 from about 1982. the only thing wrong with it was the stylus on the Denon MC cartridge, which was hopelessly bent. I replaced the stylus and plugged it in, and have been enjoying it ever since. Hooray free stuff!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 12 Jul 2016 16:35

ccashell wrote:Shortly after I moved in to my new neighborhood, I drove off to work one day and saw a turntable sitting in one of my neighbor's front yards. I couldn't stop right then, so when I came back, I checked again, and it was still there with a "free" sign on it. I picked it up and took it home. It was a Yamaha P-550 from about 1982. the only thing wrong with it was the stylus on the Denon MC cartridge, which was hopelessly bent. I replaced the stylus and plugged it in, and have been enjoying it ever since. Hooray free stuff!
As he saying goes: "sometimes the best things in life are free". 8)

That was a great find and recycling at it's best! Much better being enjoyed by you than in some landfill. =D>

Squiffything

Post by Squiffything » 12 Jul 2016 17:16

You can find some good deals and build up a nice sounding system but it takes time and you have to work at it.

I decided to run through my current system and price it up for what I paid. OMG if the wife knew she'd skin me alive :wink: This does not touch the stuff in the shed or the spare room or any other secret places that I hide/store stuff.

A half decent system can be built up for low pennies

Thorens TD 160 B £53
Yamaha DSP-A592 From the loft from the 80’s
Yamaha RX-V390 RDS receiver £40
Yamaha KX260RS tape deck £10
Technics DD Free
Linn Katans Free
Sony DVP-NS700V SACD £25
Sony MD player £20
Sony DAB tuner £25
Sony 300 disc CD changer £20
KEF Cresta 2's £30
Quadral Speakers £41
Pioneer Amp £40
Pioneer EQ £10

https://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103 ... lkpj3j.jpg

I'm not going to list the cartridges because the wife really would skin me up but suffice to say I have a couple of MC's now and a couple of AT150's to give me a very good quality of sound.

There are lots of little bits that make up the system and improve it but at the end of the day a good sound can be produced from used equipment and on a very tight budget.

The one thing I hate is the old crappy pine unit that it stands on but it does a job, it was free and it fits. I hate it and will get rid as soon as I find something else :evil: :evil:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 12 Jul 2016 17:26

Wow, that is really impressive Squiffy!

I can imagine it would be hard for her to notice anything new in that large mind boggling array of equipment. :lol: But if you moved that plant she would probably notice.

Now if you tried to sneak a silver faced amp into the mix, it would stand out like a sore thumb. #-o

I have some of those stands too. Not quite what we'd like, but it'll do for now.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Jul 2016 17:45

ccashell wrote:Shortly after I moved in to my new neighborhood, I drove off to work one day and saw a turntable sitting in one of my neighbor's front yards. I couldn't stop right then, so when I came back, I checked again, and it was still there with a "free" sign on it. I picked it up and took it home. It was a Yamaha P-550 from about 1982. the only thing wrong with it was the stylus on the Denon MC cartridge, which was hopelessly bent. I replaced the stylus and plugged it in, and have been enjoying it ever since. Hooray free stuff!
Wow! That one sounds like the ultimate catch...Nothing wrong with free, if you come across something like that...The poor thing just needed to be loved! Good thing you were there at the right time to give it some love! =D>

I've often encountered a good deal locally, and thought to myself, "If I don't buy this and take care of it, who will?" 8-[

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 12 Jul 2016 17:49

Estate sale find. Dual 505-2 with Ortofon MC 100 and T-10 transformer for $15. When the doors opened for the sale, the vinyl fans had run upstairs to rummage through the LPS and I went directly to the living room and the hardware. :mrgreen:

Spent $50 to have it serviced and lubed by a good vintage electronics shop, and it sounds fantastic. Super pleased.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b324 ... %20505.jpg

More fun was a recent garage sale advertised as "grandpa is long overdue for a sale" and that there were "ancient electronics". Sale was to start at 7 am, I was there at 6:45 and saw a Heathkit AR13A receiver, and got to talking with the grandpa. Asked if he had a turntable, he lifted his eyebrows and said a Dual 1019 in the basement. He bought it in Germany when posted there with the forces, so it has a German CK5 plinth but needs a power convertor to use it. Nice Shure cartridge with hi-track stylus. Because is was one owner, there are documents, the cartridge shim, single and automatic spindles and a tool to remove and put on the platter c-ring. Nice Shure cartridge with high-track stylus. I get as much a kick out of finding the bits and bites as the tables themselves.

So $30 later I bought the Heathkit and the Dual. The receiver works nicely, tested with the 505. For the 1019 the start stop lever got stuck on start when I moved it there, so I can't test out the cartridge. Reviving the 1019 on as a winter project when I have more time and will not need to rush. I will add a picture later if I can.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 12 Jul 2016 17:51

Those were super finds Spensar! The Dual really looks beautiful! =D>

Just a tip on the 1019. Don't leave it stuck in the on position for too long or else you will get a flat spot in the idler. You may want to rotate the platter by hand to disengage the start switch and the idler from contacting the platter. Great turntable however! 8)
Last edited by Tinkaroo on 12 Jul 2016 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Jul 2016 17:53

Squiffything wrote:You can find some good deals and build up a nice sounding system but it takes time and you have to work at it.

I decided to run through my current system and price it up for what I paid. OMG if the wife knew she'd skin me alive :wink: This does not touch the stuff in the shed or the spare room or any other secret places that I hide/store stuff.

A half decent system can be built up for low pennies

Thorens TD 160 B £53
Yamaha DSP-A592 From the loft from the 80’s
Yamaha RX-V390 RDS receiver £40
Yamaha KX260RS tape deck £10
Technics DD Free
Linn Katans Free
Sony DVP-NS700V SACD £25
Sony MD player £20
Sony DAB tuner £25
Sony 300 disc CD changer £20
KEF Cresta 2's £30
Quadral Speakers £41
Pioneer Amp £40
Pioneer EQ £10

https://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103 ... lkpj3j.jpg

I'm not going to list the cartridges because the wife really would skin me up but suffice to say I have a couple of MC's now and a couple of AT150's to give me a very good quality of sound.

There are lots of little bits that make up the system and improve it but at the end of the day a good sound can be produced from used equipment and on a very tight budget.

The one thing I hate is the old crappy pine unit that it stands on but it does a job, it was free and it fits. I hate it and will get rid as soon as I find something else :evil: :evil:
That's not a bad list there, Squiffy...You have proven that one can be a thrifty skinflint (or do they say tight-arse over there?), even across the pond, which in our case, is a very good thing! =D>

I'm as cheap as they get, but I put the money where it counts!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Jul 2016 17:57

spensar wrote:Estate sale find. Dual 505-2 with Ortofon MC 100 and T-10 transformer for $15. When the doors opened for the sale, the vinyl fans had run upstairs to rummage through the LPS and I went directly to the living room and the hardware. :mrgreen:

Spent $50 to have it serviced and lubed by a good vintage electronics shop, and it sounds fantastic. Super pleased.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b324 ... %20505.jpg

More fun was a recent garage sale advertised as "grandpa is long overdue for a sale" and that there were "ancient electronics". Sale was to start at 7 am, I was there at 6:45 and saw a Heathkit AR13A receiver, and got to talking with the grandpa. Asked if he had a turntable, he lifted his eyebrows and said a Dual 1019 in the basement. He bought it in Germany when posted there with the forces, so it has a German CK5 plinth but needs a power convertor to use it. Nice Shure cartridge with hi-track stylus. Because is was one owner, there are documents, the cartridge shim, single and automatic spindles and a tool to remove and put on the platter c-ring. Nice Shure cartridge with high-track stylus. I get as much a kick out of finding the bits and bites as the tables themselves.

So $30 later I bought the Heathkit and the Dual. The receiver works nicely, tested with the 505. For the 1019 the start stop lever got stuck on start when I moved it there, so I can't test out the cartridge. Reviving the 1019 on as a winter project when I have more time and will not need to rush. I will add a picture later if I can.
Now you're talking! I wouldn't argue with that deal...Have fun with that 1019, too...I just got one myself, so it should also be a fun project for the future...Show us a picture, as we'd love to see it! =P~

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Jul 2016 18:03

You know, looking at everyone's responses here, I think the next time someone complains about the high prices of decent audio equipment, I'm going to have to direct them to this thread! I have yet to see ANY high-priced stuff here, and no one has posted a pic of a Crosley yet, either!

It may be cliché by now, but you guys are all proving that it CAN be done, AND on a budget! Kudos to you guys!! =D>