the home of the turntable

Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers

Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Postby Tinkaroo » 09 Jul 2016 16:30

This thread is open to anybody who has an amp, receiver or set of speakers they really like and picked up dirt cheap, maybe under a hundred bucks at most. If it actually came from the trash or a dumpster even better, although we know it didn't really belong there.

I'll start the game off with my Kenwood KR-5600 receiver I bought for 40 bucks which only needed a bulb or two. It's got pretty cool styling and puts out 40 watts/channel.

Kenwood KR-5600.jpg

Let's show others that it doesn't have to cost a fortune to be able to listen to music and enjoy it. 8)
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Re: Cheap-Skates & Dumpster Diver's Club

Postby gofar99 » 09 Jul 2016 16:49

Hi, I'm always on the look out for stuff. The best one ever was a Marantz 2265B receiver in perfect shape at a thrift store... It had the 50HZ 100V cord on it and I got it for $50. Opened up the case, changed the cord to a 60HZ 120 reset the voltage setting and it was (and still is) perfect. Altec 1010 speakers. Klipsch KG4s, Phillips 212, the Dual 701 (I used for the custom project) and lots of other stuff all real cheap if you know where to look and know what is quality stuff. I haven't yet found any on the road side or in a dumpster...but I'm looking.
Good Listening, Bruce
DIY Custom Dual701,Jelco,DynaVector Karat23RS-MR
Empire 598,Origin Live,Grado Woodie
Sota,Jelco,Hana EL,AT33PTG/II
Transcriptor Saturn,Vestigial Arm,ADC XLM
gofar99
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 09 Jul 2016 17:04

gofar99 wrote:Hi, I'm always on the look out for stuff. The best one ever was a Marantz 2265B receiver in perfect shape at a thrift store... It had the 50HZ 100V cord on it and I got it for $50. Opened up the case, changed the cord to a 60HZ 120 reset the voltage setting and it was (and still is) perfect. Altec 1010 speakers. Klipsch KG4s, Phillips 212, the Dual 701 (I used for the custom project) and lots of other stuff all real cheap if you know where to look and know what is quality stuff. I haven't yet found any on the road side or in a dumpster...but I'm looking.

Wow, that was a heck of a deal on the Marantz! =D>

It sounds as if you have some great vintage equipment to listen to.

I've also got a Dual 701 and some Klipsch KG2 speakers. I got an amazing deal on the 701 too.

I haven't found any nice audio by the curb yet,just some water damaged Kenwood speakers that I salvaged some drivers from, but I keep looking. Last year I found a nice AC unit and a Weber Genesis BBQ.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby AceDeuce73 » 09 Jul 2016 17:51

I got my Pioneer PL-A45D for $15 off of Craigslist. All it needed was a new power cord, resolder the loose left channel cable, new belt and stylus. A few months ago I picked up a Pioneer SX-990 off CL for $40, missing a couple of knobs and needing a tuner pointer light. Then about a month ago I traded in a Sanyo Ultrx tape deck and a few dozen cassettes to a local record shop for $50 credit and got a PL-112D along with some used albums.
Mostly cheap, used gear and a little piece of Schiit
AceDeuce73

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 09 Jul 2016 18:42

AceDeuce73 wrote:I got my Pioneer PL-A45D for $15 off of Craigslist. All it needed was a new power cord, resolder the loose left channel cable, new belt and stylus. A few months ago I picked up a Pioneer SX-990 off CL for $40, missing a couple of knobs and needing a tuner pointer light. Then about a month ago I traded in a Sanyo Ultrx tape deck and a few dozen cassettes to a local record shop for $50 credit and got a PL-112D along with some used albums.

Those were some great finds and deals AceDeuce73! 8)

It shows what you can achieve with a keen eye and a bit of ingenuity.

I found this model AM/FM Cassette Recorder for 3 bucks last week. All it needed was a bit of cleaning, and the tape player works fine too. It's nice to be able to have something that will work if there's a power failure or you want something small and portable.

GE Radio.jpg
GE Radio.jpg (33.35 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby theobaci1 » 09 Jul 2016 21:01

Found an HH Scott 222c in mint condition containing a complete set of telefunken tubes at a church bazaar for a dollar which looked exactly like this one:
http://hhscott.com/_images/200%20-%20Am ... Integrated)/Amps,%20Integrated/Scott_222C.jpg
It steered me in that direction for the next 20 years in which I acquired a Scott 310B mono FM tuner and a 335 multiplex adapter both of which worked perfectly. It later lead me to purchase a new Jolida SG502A and later a Glow Amp One. I also had a pair of very efficient Klipsch Cf-1s that I would alternate hooking it all up to. In addition to ancillaries such as phono pre and passive pre amp (for Jolida and Glow Amp) I for some reason purchased a used MacIntosh MR77 FM tuner. Sold it all in 2010 when I bought my Rega, Monitor Audio system and never looked back.

Theo
theobaci1

Postby Big B5515 » 09 Jul 2016 22:15

I try to keep an eye out for such finds or good deals. A couple favorites are my $75 Pioneer SX-950 found last year in very good working condition, and also a nice sounding $30 pair of 10", 3 way MCS speakers from the same store. A favorite trash find was a 1962 Motorola console stereo I found almost 30 years ago, still working and yet to need any parts, caps or tubes replaced aside from stylus and occasional contact cleaning or lubrication of changer. I could list plenty else found cheaply, or finds that I no longer have or particularly care for, But these are 3 items are sticking to the topic at hand, and that I really like the sound quality of.
Big B
Vinyl, 78's, cylinders, and at least one radio or audio system in every room. Music around the clock is what matters most.
Big B5515
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 10 Jul 2016 04:46

Big B5515 wrote:A couple favorites are my $75 Pioneer SX-950 found last year in very good working condition

Did I help you find that one, Big B, or no? I'm sure I got you into checking out all the secondhand and antique shops... :wink:
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby nel27cain » 10 Jul 2016 05:12

i think all my vintage amp/receivers in used or in storage were all purchased under $50.
technics sl-1210m5g(at440mlb, at125lc), technics sl-1200mk1(audioquest aq404)
ar-xa(at120e), ar77xb(osawa100), thorens td165((at120e), dual1228(shure v15iii)
(pioneer a7, b&w dm580, mordaunt short ms5.1) (luxman r1030,ar18s)
nel27cain

Canada

Postby vinyl master » 10 Jul 2016 05:27

OK, as "Mr. Cheap Vintage" here, I don't know if I could list everything I've found so far for cheap, but here are but a few...

JENSEN LS-4B speakers (in original boxes) $10.00 from co-worker's garage sale
ADVENT Baby Advent II speakers $8.99 from local SA thrift shop
JBL J216a speakers $30.00 from Craigslist
DUAL 1226 turntable $45.00 from local antique shop
PHILIPS GA 427 turntable $40.00 from same antique shop
YAMAHA CR-620 receiver $45.00 from same antique shop
PIONEER SX-450 receiver $25.00 from Craigslist, local seller
Two HARMAN KARDON T-25 turntables from Craigslist, local seller $45.00 for both!
TECHNICS SA-101 receiver $10.00 from local thrift shop, Value Village, which does not exist anymore...
TECHNICS SA-211 receiver $20.00? from local estate sale, no-name speakers thrown in
DUAL 1009SK turntable from Craigslist, local seller $45.00
GARRARD 74m turntable from Craigslist, local seller $40.00, wanted for the Shure cartridge
PIONEER PL-12D II turntable $50.00
SANSUI SR-212 turntable $25.00 (Two very cheap buys that just happened to come my way)
RCA VICTOR 9-JY 45 rpm turntable $20.00 from local antique mall
FISHER-PRICE children's turntable $7.99 from local SA thrift store
BOSTON ACOUSTICS A-40 speakers $40.00 off Craigslist, local seller

The two I paid full-price for were the Sony PSLX-250H turntable and CROSLEY Cruiser turntable, both about $100 each, brand new in box...Both are unused at the moment!

I also bought a second PSLX-250H for $4.00, down from $8.00 on a half-price day at my local SA thrift store, the same place I got that 10 for $1.00 deal on albums a while back!

It's a lot to remember off the top of my head...

If I remember correctly, I also bought my PANASONIC SE-1217 tabletop console, my GE Slimline? turntable, my GE orange-and-white portable children's turntable, and blue Realistic Clarinette turntable for $50.00 or less each from various garage sales, secondhand stores, etc.

My Panasonic SG-X7 turntable stereo, my YORX Newave (sadly trashed now) and GE Wildcat turntable were given to me as gifts back in the day...And the Wildcat was a trash pick-up! I didn't know better back then, but HEY, they were FREE!

My first cassette player, also an Emerson, was a gift...

I also have two Sony dual cassette decks, a Sony receiver, and a Sony CD changer, each one from the thrift shop, except for one tape deck from a library auction, and all were $20.00 or less each...

I have 2 sets of KOSS headphones Pro 4AA's, a set of Pioneer SE-50's, a set of KOSS K6-LC's, a set of REALISTIC Nova-65's, and some old SONYs...Each set was less than $50.00 apiece...

I'm sure I could think of a few more items for the "discount" list here (There's just SO MUCH cool stuff!), and I haven't listed all of my equipment, as there are some items I paid more for, but they were worth it...

I also paid a little less than $50.00 for my RCA VICTOR 9-x-561 radio, and I got that beautiful GRUNDIG Majestic 97 tabletop radio from my man, Chris' estate sale for $40.00...

And now, I have a new DUAL 1019 turntable...I won't go into exact details out of respect for Austen, but it was under $100.00 again...If I lived closer to Seattle, I could've saved on shipping, but oh, well...She's worth it to me! :mrgreen:

And as far as know, I will probably keep finding the cheap, because I know where to look...I'll keep haggling, too, when I see something worth the price, 'cause you gotta know the jargon, if you wanna get a bargain! :wink:
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby macshifi » 10 Jul 2016 06:05

A curb shop find I made a few years ago was a Project One DR 330 turntable with an Audio Technica PB 12 S cartridge, still doesn't work, but did get a replacement stylus for, and a Project One receiver, I believe a Mark VI, it's not in the same area as my computer, so far untested, but does have built in power meters. Don't know why it was thrown out, other than the turntable won't start or run.
Another item I got recently was a Garrard SL 72 B with a Shure M 91 cartridge and stylus for $1.00 on E-bay with a dead motor, frozen speed change control, which I got freed up, but now the knob spins and doesn't change speed, it's not broken because I didn't use enough force to break anything, and, unfortunately, the seller packed it with the dust cover on the bottom, which means that one of the base's feet punched through the dust cover during shipping. Certainly cost plenty to mail it, as that was $42.

Mark
macshifi

United States of America

Postby landiepete » 10 Jul 2016 08:52

The only bargain I have (real bargain that is) is the Phase Linear Series 400II power amp.

The previous owner bought it second hand for way too much money and blew a power transistor. Had it replaced for another fortune, took it home, and saw it die with a bang 2 days later.

I bought it off him for 80 or so bucks (mid nineties, replaced the bridge rectifier and the two power caps (by computer grade ones) for about 50 bucks and it's been playing ever since. I had to replace a cap on on of the VU meter boards for about a buck.

Once I find a second hand decent integrated I will start restoring the Phase. And look for the right pre-amp to go with it. But there are no more bargains to be had at this time. I'll have to wait a year or two for the next fad to come along that makes people dump their stereo gear.
landiepete

Belgium

Postby Tinkaroo » 10 Jul 2016 10:43

Those are all great finds guys! 8)

The thing about great finds is that they don't come along every day, but sometimes when you least expect it. If they were that easy to to come across it wouldn't make them so special. I'm sure there are lot more to come.

A couple of years ago I got a Pioneer system from the mod 70's all pieces in great working shape that had a Pioneer SX-535 receiver, a PL-112D, a CD player and a cassette deck for a total of 100 dollars CDN.

Here is a picture of the receiver.

pioneer sx-535_2.jpg

Even if we don't use the equipment in our main systems, they might make the start of a great starter system for some young person just starting up. Just the other day I gave away a turntable and receiver to an older gentleman who's grandson was looking for something better to play records on that the Crosley type player he got from Canadian Tire. Of all the places to buy a turntable, that would be the last place I wold think of! #-o
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby Big B5515 » 10 Jul 2016 21:13

vinyl master wrote:
Big B5515 wrote:A couple favorites are my $75 Pioneer SX-950 found last year in very good working condition

Did I help you find that one, Big B, or no? I'm sure I got you into checking out all the secondhand and antique shops... :wink:

You did get me motivated to go out looking at the time, but that one just popped up when I least expected at a familiar junk shop (owner buys & cleans out estates) I often check when shopping for about anything used, if in the area. It's one of those places you often have to dig, or rearrange stuff to get to what you want to see. I had almost overlooked the receiver as it was fairly well buried. I had said I'd buy a nice Pioneer receiver in a second at the right price, as I remembered being impressed by a similar but seemingly larger model at my aunt's house almost 30 years ago. My Adcom system and tube amp have seen no use since this find was put in service.
Big B
Vinyl, 78's, cylinders, and at least one radio or audio system in every room. Music around the clock is what matters most.
Big B5515
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby henkNL » 11 Jul 2016 20:45

My list contains a Technics Direct Drive SL3110 (no cart) in good condition for €35,
Garrard SP 25 Mk3 / Shure M75E in excellent condition for its years for €49 a pair of Klipsch KSB 1.1 speakers also in excellent condition for €25 and an Akai GX-215D R2R in good condition for €60
I come across more cheap stuff in thrift stores but I only buy when it's at least in good condition (as far as I can see) and for a good price :D. Often even damaged stuff goes for too much money in my experience. But the search goes on (and on)...
Main System:
Amp: Van Medevoort MA111
TT: Rega Planar 3 with Elys 2
Speakers: B&W CM-1
SACD: Marantz SA 15 S 2
henkNL

Netherlands

Next

Return to Amplifiers and Loudspeakers