the home of the turntable

What is the Best All Around Vintage Receiver Ever Made?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers

What is the Best All Around Vintage Receiver Ever Made?

Postby wallifishrmn » 13 Mar 2014 11:33

Question: which receiver made during the 1970's-early 1980's do you think was the best one based on 1. Features 2. Looks 3. Quality. Price.I know this is based of individual likes and dislikes just like some people like chevys and some like fords--but that alright--we're all experts here.

Please explain why you selected the model based on the 3 factors above:Features available; Looks; Quality; and Price.

You can only list 1 or maybe 2 at most. I see people listing their ten favorite whatevers all the time--none of that here--pick "ONE" or maybe 2 that you could live with for the next 20 years.
wallifishrmn

United States of America

Re: What is the Best All Around Vintage Receiver Ever Made?

Postby wgallupe » 13 Mar 2014 13:00

Marantz 2285B is my favorite. It has that classic 70s sound, a very good tuner and phono section, and a robust power supply to drive most speakers. In my basement system together with a Thorens TD126 turntable, it drives my very inefficient Magnepan MMGs just fine! Also, I think it looks great:
marantz2285Bblue.jpg
wgallupe

United States of America

Postby wallifishrmn » 13 Mar 2014 13:10

WHAT A GREAT IDEA----POST A PICTURE OF YOUR FAVORITE RECEIVER. Love it wgallupe--great looking. I knew the smartest audio people were on this forum.
wallifishrmn

United States of America

Postby jrobby » 13 Mar 2014 14:54

My favorite receiver is also a Marantz, in this case a 2216B. I just like it's classic "silver faced look". It is only 16 watts per channel but don't kid yerself it performs well above it's modest rating.I use it in a small room with small bookshelf speakers and it performs admirably.If you pop the top you can see why, a huge transformer supplys the power.It has a classic "warm" sound that I really like,dare I say almost a "tubelike" quality. The tuner section is topnotch and the phono stage is no slouch either. And of course the best for last, the uber cool blue dial lights. Whats not to like.
Attachments
Marantz 2216B 003.jpg
jrobby

Postby pivot » 13 Mar 2014 15:30

I have never been a fan of typical Japanese receivers from the '70s and '80s. In general gutless amps with harsh, cold sound. Others will not agree and there are examples of exceptions. Some Onkyo, Marantz and Sansui stand above the usual Kenwood and Pioneer mix.

If I had to have a Japanese receiver of that period I would be looking at Yamaha. Maybe a CR-1020 or CR-1040. Prettier looking than most of the competition and the chassis layout is more open and easier to work on. Anything from the '70s or '80s is overdue for a good service.

http://www.classicaudio.com/value/yam/CR1020.html

The only receiver I have personally owned of the period was an Advent Model 300.

http://www.davidreaton.com/PDFs/A_very_ ... Advent.pdf

One of the best phono stages ever in a receiver. Ran mine as a pre-amp to a McIntosh 2505 but used the onboard 15 watt amp to run Stax headphones.

Also at the time I sold and liked Tandberg gear. I thought the Tandberg receivers sounded more "mellow" then the typical competition. Might suggest one of the more moderate powered in the line, like a TR 2060.

http://seventiesstereo.blogspot.com/200 ... 20260.html

All this is IMHO and YMMV.
Kevin R-M

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Hamlet Act 1
pivot
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby Ottermel » 13 Mar 2014 18:12

Also, Luxman R-1050 and its variants
When the music fades so will the world
Ottermel

Canada

Postby Joe in Seattle » 13 Mar 2014 19:37

Having grown up in that era I can say that the Marantz is what I wanted, but I couldn't afford it. I used an integrated amplifier at first, then a Pioneer receiver, then moved up to Harman Kardon electronics. At present my vinyl system goes through a Rogue Cronus Magnum tube amplifier, but the downstairs home theater system is based around a Marantz amp.
Joe in Seattle

United States of America

Postby johnnywalker » 13 Mar 2014 20:20

The last receiver I owned was a Yamaha CR-1020. Boy, what a beautiful thing (see link in pivot's post above)! Plenty of guts, ran my stacked Advents wonderfully. But I decided to get into separates and sold it. Now I sure wish I had kept it.
johnnywalker

United States of America

Postby Alec124c41 » 13 Mar 2014 23:33

Yamaha CR-1020 and 2020, Sansui 9090, Marantz 2275, Technics SA-5770 all made beautiful music.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby Steve Morris » 13 Mar 2014 23:35

I love my old Marantz Receivers.
My 4400 is just awesome, very powerful, great sounding and good looking.
My 2225 is also great, used every day morning and evening as the heart of my bedroom system.
I also have the baby of them all the 2010, don't be fooled by the 10 watt rating, it is just great.
My later 2226 and 2238 receivers are also great.
I can't say these are the best, I just love them.
Pink Triangle/Helius/Audio Technica AT0C9/Audio Research PH3SE/Audio research LS7/Audio Research D115 Mk2 /Acoustic Research AR9LS.
Steve Morris
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby Tinkaroo » 14 Mar 2014 17:01

Sony70653.jpg
Sony70652.jpg
Sony70651.jpg
Sony70651.jpg (18.68 KiB) Viewed 23311 times

I would like to give a vote for the Sony STR-7065 receiver.

It has very nice styling with its aluminum front, nice analog tuning scale and tuning meters, and well laid out switches and dials.Mine also has a very nice walnut casing.

I believe this was Sony's top of the line receiver circa 1973.It has some nice features such as outputs for 3 speakers.High and low filters.Switching modes for stereo-Reverse-L+R-Left and Right. Tape monitoring. Hook ups for a turntable, auxiliary and two tape inputs. The tape inputs can also be used as auxiliary inputs if not using a tape deck. It has dual 1/4" microphone inputs with a mixing control on the front panel.The tuner tunes in stations well and the dual tuning meters are helpful in getting it centered.

It puts out 65 watts per channel at 8 ohms of clean power. The build quality looks to be excellent.I think all models of this series and the preceding 60 series are all of excellent quality.

Even though it was fairly expensive when new, they can often be found at reasonable prices used nowadays, compared to that of other manufacturers with similar features.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby Pikey » 15 Mar 2014 13:59

I had one of these Nytechs for a while , regarded very highly back then.
It had a smoked dust cover too which looked quite smart!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg549/Pikeyp/nytech-cta252.jpg

People loved the looks of these Nytechs, but I think it was the high quality sound at only 25 watts that did the trick! ... cost was £200+ I think?
Rega RP6/Nagaoka MP200 >> Arcam Alpha 8R/8P >> Mission 752 (bi-amped)
Retired/resting! .. JBE 3 Slate .. Garrard Zero100S .. Musical Fidelity A2
Pikey

United Kingdom

Postby Paraneer » 15 Mar 2014 14:34

If the title of this thread was the "best looking" vintage receiver, then I have to vote for the Sony that Tinkaroo posted. That receiver is just downright beautiful - with its gleaming aluminum panel to its symmetrical styling with the two large knobs on each side of the display window. And I was never a Sony fan but looks like they hit a homerun with this one back in the day.
VPI Traveler V2, Ortofon Rondo Blue, Simaudio Moon 110LP
Technics SL-1400, Audio Technica AT-14sa, Pro-ject Phono Box S
Marantz PM15S2 LE, Oppo 103, Simaudio Moon 100D
Dynaudio Focus 260's & a REL T1 Sub
Paraneer
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby w_axlrose1 » 15 Mar 2014 15:05

My vote would go to the Yamaha CR-2020

Technics SL-1200MK5/Audio Technica AT150MLx, Pro-Ject Tube Box S, Yamaha A-S500, Tannoy Mercury V4, Yamaha CD-N500, Sony MDS-JE480, Sony TC-K630ES, Yamaha YDS-12, Sennheiser HD439.
w_axlrose1

United Kingdom

Postby Tinkaroo » 15 Mar 2014 16:06

I think styling is part of the criterion here, and the Marantz's look pretty nice, as do some of the Pioneers and Kenwoods too. Somehow the digital models don't have as much style appeal for me.

I like the styling on the Yamaha, although I don't I've never heard a 2020 in person. I'm sure it must sound amazing though, since I've heard others from that era.

I have a Yamaha CT-600 tuner from around the same time period that has the similar styling and sounds great. I like the light blue back-lighting on the tuning meters.

The only drawback for me is the tuner dial only lights up over the cursor and the rest of the dial is dark at night. The red LED's look pretty nice in the dark too.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Next

Return to Amplifiers and Loudspeakers