Anybody heard from Dave Smith (DK Loudspeakers) lately?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Anybody heard from Dave Smith (DK Loudspeakers) lately?

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 01 Jul 2009 17:06

I sent some drivers down to Dave Smith in Essex a couple of months ago and have heard nothing since. I've tried calling, left messages etc but there has been no response.

As Dave was getting on a bit I'm starting to fear the worst. Anyone live near Hornchurch?

JT

connectaudio

Re: Anybody heard from Dave Smith (DK Loudspeakers) lately?

Post by connectaudio » 08 Aug 2009 17:36

No i have a driver with Dave too, no response to calls...

jon tiltman wrote:I sent some drivers down to Dave Smith in Essex a couple of months ago and have heard nothing since. I've tried calling, left messages etc but there has been no response.

As Dave was getting on a bit I'm starting to fear the worst. Anyone live near Hornchurch?

JT

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 10 Aug 2009 09:47

As an update - I called him last week and got an answer!

He said his daughter had been ill and he'd been spending a lot of time at a fairly distant hospital. I wished her well, he told me that he was quite busy but should have my drivers done in a week or two.

Try calling him again this week and you might be in luck.

JT

Stickinsect

Post by Stickinsect » 09 Sep 2009 11:29

Did you get your repaired loudspeakers back?Mine went for rebuilding 14 months ago!

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 09 Sep 2009 15:50

Not yet! I tried calling him yesterday and leaving a message but he's not got back to me.

My better half is starting to get annoyed with a pair of 4' tall driverless cabinets in the spare room - the plan was to fix them and then sell one or the other pair of monster speakers!

JT

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 11 Sep 2009 11:09

Mine went for rebuilding 14 months ago!
I must say that is one hell of a long time for any repair. Why I use Wembley Speakers. 8 days and all returned in great order. Not saying that's the same for everyone and some jobs will of course be more involved, but I received great and quick service.

Stickinsect

Post by Stickinsect » 11 Sep 2009 12:02

I used Wembley previously to repair an Epos ES14 driver successfully,but was recommended to DK when I was getting my Dahlquist DQ10 bass drivers rebuilt.

ticket

Post by ticket » 08 Oct 2009 09:11

I sent my speakers to Dave 17 months ago - he quoted a 2 week turnaround. I've yet to get them back. When I managed to get hold of him (which is difficult) he initially said he was waiting for parts. I have a list of the number of times I've called him, mostly without success. I last got hold of him in late July and he said the parts had arrived, but I've heard nothing since.

I understand his work is truly excellent, but you can make your own mind up based on this level of service.

ticket

Post by ticket » 08 Oct 2009 09:37

And by the way - it's pointless leaving a message - he never gets back to you.

I didn't mention that I sent 2 pairs of speakers to DK and when I've managed to talk to him he appears to carefully avoid talking about the second pair - I fear the worst and have pretty much given up on getting the speakers back. In fact, I've since bought replacements for the first pair!

I only sent the speakers to DK rather than Wembley as Dave said he could also repair the second pair. Wembley told me straight that they could not repair the second pair.

Need I say more?

Apparently he turns up at the Audiojumble in Tonbridge from time to time and there's one this weekend - a bit to far for me to go to actually see him face to face, however!

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 09 Oct 2009 09:20

ticket wrote:I sent my speakers to Dave 17 months ago - he quoted a 2 week turnaround. I've yet to get them back. When I managed to get hold of him (which is difficult) he initially said he was waiting for parts. I have a list of the number of times I've called him, mostly without success. I last got hold of him in late July and he said the parts had arrived, but I've heard nothing since.

I understand his work is truly excellent, but you can make your own mind up based on this level of service.
This mirrors my experience entirely. I managed to speak to him in July, he said he needed parts and it'd be a couple of weeks. There's been nothing since.

As the phone seems to be a waste of time I'm going to try writing to ask him to forward the drivers to Wembley - I'm sick of the sight of a huge pair of empty cabinets crowding up my spare room and feel like taking an axe to them.

JT

ticket

Post by ticket » 09 Oct 2009 14:24

Good luck! Please let us know how you get on.

starboy

Dave

Post by starboy » 12 Oct 2009 19:47

Dave's a good mate who has got me out of trouble more than a few times when he did not have to bother. Especially when I turn up with six foot panels needing help immediately.

Saw him yesterday and may drop by his gaff on Saturday. Just PM me your info as regards what drivers and I'll pass it on. He's not the type to be logging on to forums to read this banter.

Rgds

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 12 Oct 2009 20:02

PM sent. Thanks in advance.

JT

ticket

Post by ticket » 12 Oct 2009 20:50

Starboy - thanks for the offer. I'll send you details

starboy