Opinions on new speakers?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
MortenOJ

Opinions on new speakers?

Post by MortenOJ » 13 Feb 2020 11:02

Hi guys. I'm currently on the lookout for new floorstanders. I currently own a pair of Audiovector SR3 Arretes, but to my ears, they are a bit lacking in the deep bass department. I am leaning towards the KEF Blade 2's, but i've been offered a pair of Focal Sopra No3's for a good price and I am also looking at the new Elac Concentro S 507's. Music is primarily rock/metal and they will be run by a Hegel H590. Any thought's or expiriences? Room is approx. 15x15 ft.

TudorTurtle
United States of America

Re: Opinions on new speakers?

Post by TudorTurtle » 13 Feb 2020 15:17

Wow, you're considering some great speakers!

I've heard the Sopra 3's and the two 8 inch woofers delivered very satisfactory bass, tight and deep sounding. The Audiovectors look amazing.

KeithB
Canada

Post by KeithB » 13 Feb 2020 17:03

If it's more bass you're after, check each of them for their low freq +/- 3db.

Your Audiovector SR3 Arretes only list +/- 6db of 24 hz, a little naughty imho. I'd guess they probably have a low 30s reading for +/- 3db
The Elacs also list 24hz, but even worse, they don't say whether it's -3, -6, -107db - again, a little naughty imho. I'd have to guess that's going to be -6, so again, -3 maybe somewhere in the 30 hz range.
The Kef Blades list their -3db as 40hz. A little surprising as I thought they would go deeper than that.
The Sopras are listed as 33hz -3db.

the 10hz from 20-30 is basically 1/2 of an octave and is fairly important imho.

The other issue is likely your room size. 15X15 is not a huge room and may give you some challenges getting that bottom octave regardless of what speaker you use.

I went through a lot of research a few months back to decide on a new set of floor standers for my LR system. One of the higher priority items was deep, fast bass. I really found a lot of floor standers these days sit mostly in the 30-40 hz LF at +/- 3db, which I presume is for design reasons trying to move away from larger drivers or 10 or 12" or more, which then need larger boxes, which then kill the aesthetic of a nice narrow "tower speaker".
After quite a lot of review, I finally narrowed it down to Wilson Watt/Puppy 7s, or Totem Winds, both of which have deep bass and all the rest. I ended up buying Winds, and am very happy.

MortenOJ

Post by MortenOJ » 13 Feb 2020 17:13

I doubt, that the Mrs will se the beauty in those speakers. I won't either, for that matter. But I'm sure they are very good speakers šŸ˜Š

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 13 Feb 2020 17:45

Can you audition Fyne Audio F-1 12?
They are -6db down at 26Hz and not huge for your room , plus sensitivity is 96db

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 13 Feb 2020 22:21

2 problems.

1) A square room is really brutal on bass, due to standing waves, cancellations, etc.
2) The respondents above talk about dB measurements, which are usually meaningless, depending on how and where, and by whom measured. I've seen specs on $15 speakers that claim -3dB or -6dB at 20Hz!

We don't listen to specs. We listen to music. You need to listen to them before you buy, preferably, with records or cds, of your own, that you're familiar with, and even then, you need to get iron clad written return privileges, because speakers never sound the same in your listening room, as they did at the store

KeithB
Canada

Post by KeithB » 14 Feb 2020 20:56

I don't listen to specs either, but if I'm looking for lots of deep bass and a reputable speaker maker tells me they are -6db @ 40 hz, I'm probably not going to bother taking the time to audition them. Specs are about helping to separate the fly-shiite from the pepper.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 15 Feb 2020 03:04

-6dB outdoors?, in an anechoic room?, in a square room?, in a rectangular room?, on axis? 30 degrees off axis?, etc? All these things make a difference. Specs narrow it down for you, but it's wise to go listen, and get those return privileges. I used to sell this stuff. Folks would buy speakers that sounded great in the store, and bring them back, because they sounded like crap, in their home.

kenny123

Post by kenny123 » 18 Feb 2020 04:14

Bought a pair of Tekton Enzo XL for Christmas,great bass wiith 35 watt tube amp,they crank with blues and rock!