Can I connect a pair of speaker to two stereos? Also 60's tweeter horns any good?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
scrapjack+

Can I connect a pair of speaker to two stereos? Also 60's tweeter horns any good?

Post by scrapjack+ » 25 Jan 2020 06:29

I tried searching and didn't find a result, yet I'm sure I'm not the first to ask such a question. I have to make speaker boxes for a old 60's Hewit Packard record player cabinet speakers now that the electronics are being rehoused, and was wondering if they would be good to tie into my main component stereo as well. I wouldn't turn both radios on at the same time of course. Would I need to splice a blocking diode into one or both speaker lines per speaker to prevent some weird poorly explained electrical witchcraft from occurring? I know these speakers sounded good on their original system, but so did the idler drive Garrard 3000, and it's ceramic flip cart with the 78's. I know the standards of hifi have risen since these were made, but will they still sound good on a component stereo, especially when compared to the typical pack in surround sound or stereo speakers that show up commonly at thrift stores?

In my typical two birds with one thread multitasking fashion of having far too many questions/problems per project, her's part two.
I also saw some old magnavox tweeter horn speaker cones for sale and wondered if they would be worth getting to make better speakers for my stereo in the current speaker box build. My speakers I intend to build boxes for are twin 12" cones and quad 4" tweeters without horns, and I have two face cylinders salvaged from a wooden tv to make "slot ported enclosures." Are such speaker horns typically good, and worth picking up? Would it likely be worth adding a horn tweeter to my box? When everything was in the old cabinet, I had to actually turn the volume down as it was "too loud" to handle, feeling the sound waves on the other side of the garage, so I think the amp has the power, unless the new speaker boxes diminish the volume somehow. I have never built speaker boxes before.

I also have some newer 8" cones laying around, maybe 11 undamaged, but I'm not sure I can add much without it exceeding 8 ohms. The original wiring is already kinda criss-crossed. Honestly, I haven't found a good resource on how multicone wiring is actually done or calculated. Tons of info on building base speaker boxes, but little on wiring old school floor standing speakers. As I understand I am going to burn tons of time actually building these speaker boxes no matter what I do. I am starting with a full sheet of plywood, as it was already around, so if cutting one or two extra holes will give better sound I might as well.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Can I connect a pair of speaker to two stereos? Also 60's tweeter horns any good?

Post by Alec124c41 » 26 Jan 2020 01:08

If you want to use one set of speakers with 2 different amps, get a pair of DPDT switches. That is double pole double throw. Wire the speakers to the center pair of contacts, and one amp to each end. Do this for each speaker.

Cheers,
Alec

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Re: Can I connect a pair of speaker to two stereos? Also 60's tweeter horns any good?

Post by Chiltern » 26 Jan 2020 12:59

Alec124c41 wrote:
26 Jan 2020 01:08
If you want to use one set of speakers with 2 different amps, get a pair of DPDT switches. That is double pole double throw. Wire the speakers to the center pair of contacts, and one amp to each end. Do this for each speaker.

Cheers,
Alec
This is exactly as Alec describes, must be something like this in the US.

Alan
DSCN9024.JPG
(198.76 KiB) Downloaded 31 times