Replacing tweeter of B&WDM2a

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Pablo007
Belgium

Replacing tweeter of B&WDM2a

Post by Pablo007 » 13 Jan 2020 12:11

I'm almost certain one of my vintage B&W DM2a speakers has a non-working Celestion-Ditton HF1300, and I would like to replace it.
Is a tweeter just removed by undoing the visible screws up front, or is it more likely that the entire front baffle needs be removed (those screws, 10 of them) are also visible, and the tweeter then unscrewed from the rear of the baffle plate?
I suppose some soldering will be required to remove and re-attach the speaker wires? Is it difficult, are there any things to be very careful of, like heat damage? Thanks for any suggestions!

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Re: Replacing tweeter of B&WDM2a

Post by Chiltern » 13 Jan 2020 13:48

Looking at my own and other DM 2 speakers on the net, the baffle will have to be removed.

As you implied, the HF1300 will be fitted from the rear. I would expect the connections soldered, simple task.

Might be best to check the HF1300 with a meter for continuity, given your previous post re hearing, are you sure that the tweeter has failed. My own hearing can be hopeless and I often have to get help to confirm that tweeters are working !

Alan

Pablo007
Belgium

Post by Pablo007 » 13 Jan 2020 14:39

Thanks Allen! I listened with a toilet roll, and there can be no doubt about the tweeter being stone dead, as on the other cabinet, it hisses with verve.
I'll go to my "2nd home" and retrieve my replacement tweeter and the soldering implements.
I'm scared about opening up my beloved B&W's but need to show courage...there is no alternative!

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Post by Chiltern » 13 Jan 2020 15:25

Pictures of a HF1300.

Alan
HF1300.jpg
(182.53 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
HF 1300 1.jpg
(175.98 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

Pablo007
Belgium

Post by Pablo007 » 13 Jan 2020 16:03

That's the one! I'm g

Pablo007
Belgium

Post by Pablo007 » 13 Jan 2020 16:05

That's the one! I'm going to collect my things to replace that one. I hope the wire is long enough for soldering with some room to move, as I' m not nimblefingers!

Pablo007
Belgium

Post by Pablo007 » 14 Jan 2020 16:26

Guidance for others, please refer to the photo above, the upper photo.

See the three inner screw heads? Undo those, and ... the inner works (the turbine-looking thingy and some gasketlike thingies behind it) are released and fall backwards into the inner void of the housing. You will be unable to put the screws back in and "pick up" the parts that fell away... I don't recommend to undo those three screws.

On the DM2a, only the "inner perimeter" of the tweeter protrudes (through the circular aperture) from the baffle. The outer flange is affixed behind the circular hole in the baffle, hence inaccessible from the front. This is why, to remove (and replace) the tweeter, the entire baffle holding all the speakers needs to be removed (10 screws on my cabinet), and the tweeter removed from the rear.

So much is clear. I will continue my report on replacing the tweeter, but first I have to gather the replacement tweeter, soldering iron, etc. from elsewhere, which should take at least one week. I've enlisted the aid of a friend (four hands are always better than two), but he'll be unavailable until the latter part of the month. But I'll be back.
Meanwhile, thanks a lot Alan, and any further remarks are appreciated.

BTW, even failing one Celestion HF-1300, these speakers sound wonderfully warm and transparent...that's why, for me, they're keepers.

Pablo007
Belgium

Post by Pablo007 » 17 Jan 2020 13:21

I have two replacement
Celestion HF1300 Mk2 tweeters, 15 Ohm.
Am I correct in assuming they will be suitable for my DM2a speakers? The have screw-connect instead of solder tabs...

I also have two Coles 4001 16 Ohm units, presently I intend to replace one Celestion (perhaps 2, if it is easy to do), but in case of need, would these Coles units serve correctly?

Thanks for any help