Perhaps another ADS purchase coming....

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Adamo0926
United States of America

Perhaps another ADS purchase coming....

Post by Adamo0926 » 13 Dec 2019 02:39

A friend of mine recently picked up a pair of extremely hard to find ADS L980s from his Uncle's estate. He stopped by here with them and we hooked them up to my Pioneer SX-850 and they sounded fabulous. Definitely a lot more low end delivered by the 12 inch woofers than my ADS L730s....and a bit warmer and smoother sounding as well.

And these things are literally in mint condition....look like they literally just came out of the box.

I told him that if he decides to sell them (a distinct possibility) I would like the right of first refusal. They sold for 1135.00/pair back in 1983. But since they are near impossible to find there is no baseline for what they are selling for. I saw one pair on craigslist for 500.00 and they weren't even close to the condition these babies are in.

I had a pair of Klipsch Fortes that sold for just under 1100.00/pair back in the early 80s so I decided to use that as a reference. Mine were near mint and I copped 750.00 for them. So I told him if does sell I would offer him 700.00 for them. He said that was about the range he was thinking.

So these may find their way into my collection sometime in the future. Here are some pics of these beauties now set up at his place....
L980a.jpg
(40.97 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
L980b.jpg
(55.57 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
L980c.jpg
(60.3 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
L980d.jpg
(46.74 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
L980e.jpg
(50.39 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

PioneerFan

Re: Perhaps another ADS purchase coming....

Post by PioneerFan » 13 Dec 2019 13:45

I had a pair of ADS L-810's. As I am in New England, and they were made in Massachusetts, they tend to be somewhat more common here. I had them for about a year. Got them very inexpensively, locally, in excellent condition. Flipped them for about 10 times what I paid for them. I liked them, didn't love them. Of course, they were known for great midrange, which they did have. But the sound started to fatigue me, so I sold them. But for male vocals, like Sinatra, they were unsurpassed.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 13 Dec 2019 15:53

PioneerFan wrote:
13 Dec 2019 13:45
I had a pair of ADS L-810's. As I am in New England, and they were made in Massachusetts, they tend to be somewhat more common here. I had them for about a year. Got them very inexpensively, locally, in excellent condition. Flipped them for about 10 times what I paid for them. I liked them, didn't love them. Of course, they were known for great midrange, which they did have. But the sound started to fatigue me, so I sold them. But for male vocals, like Sinatra, they were unsurpassed.
Interesting....I have read tons about ADS speakers online and never once have I heard anyone say they were fatiguing. In fact one of my other friends has a pair of L810s and they are not fatiguing in the least. We both commented that we could listen to them for 24 hours straight without issue. So I am guessing that maybe the L-810s you had weren't exactly up to spec.

I am also in New England and while there are certain models of ADS speakers that are plentiful the L980 seems to be quite rare and near impossible to find.

My L730s sound very very similiar to the L810s....I think a little deeper in the bass with the single 10" woofer as opposed to the L810's two 8" woofers. However I think the L810 has the better mid-range as it has that legendary 2" dome mid-range driver and my L730's have the later 1 1/2" dome mid-range driver.

And I was surprised that the L980s were significantly warmer and smoother sounding than my L730s. The L980s were actually too warm for my taste when on the floor (I have carpeting), but the stands made a world of difference which makes the stands essential for them.

PioneerFan

Post by PioneerFan » 13 Dec 2019 19:54

Yes, to my ears they were really best suited to make vocals, and in that respect, kind of "one trick ponies". Of course, like all listening experiences, purely subjective.
Adamo0926 wrote:
13 Dec 2019 15:53
PioneerFan wrote:
13 Dec 2019 13:45
Interesting....I have read tons about ADS speakers online and never once have I heard anyone say they were fatiguing. In fact one of my other friends has a pair of L810s and they are not fatiguing in the least. We both commented that we could listen to them for 24 hours straight without issue. So I am guessing that maybe the L-810s you had weren't exactly up to spec.

I am also in New England and while there are certain models of ADS speakers that are plentiful the L980 seems to be quite rare and near impossible to find.

My L730s sound very very similiar to the L810s....I think a little deeper in the bass with the single 10" woofer as opposed to the L810's two 8" woofers. However I think the L810 has the better mid-range as it has that legendary 2" dome mid-range driver and my L730's have the later 1 1/2" dome mid-range driver.

And I was surprised that the L980s were significantly warmer and smoother sounding than my L730s. The L980s were actually too warm for my taste when on the floor (I have carpeting), but the stands made a world of difference which makes the stands essential for them.