Noob question re running pre amp into peered speakers

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Limeydog
England

Noob question re running pre amp into peered speakers

Post by Limeydog » 03 Dec 2019 21:25

Hello,

Sorry, I have looked on several sites and forums, and I think I know the answer but I don't want tomato an expensive mistake:

1) I have an Audio-Techica AT-LP60-BT turntable which I believe has a bit in Pre-Amp.

2) It has a Phone/Line switch which my understanding means I can bypass the built in amplifier

3) My understanding is a Pre Amp such as ART DJPRE II Phono/Line Pre-Amplifier will produce better quality amplification than the one built into the deck

4) If I run my Audio-Techica AT-LP60-BT via a ART DJPRE II Pre-Amplifier into Edifier R1280T Active Bookshelf Speakers (which I understand to be power and therefore not requiring the pre-amp) will this set-up still benefit from the Art Pre-Amp? i.e. how does this set-up resolve the fact that there is a pre-amp and Powered/Active speakers?

Please correct me where I have got the wrong end of the stick. Many many thanks. Ant

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Noob question re running pre amp into peered speakers

Post by Alec124c41 » 03 Dec 2019 21:39

The phono preamp corrects the response curve, and raises the signal level to line level.
In this case, the ART DJPRE II Pre-Amplifier also seems to have a volume control.
If the speakers have volume controls, you can set them to max, and use the preamp to control your volume.

Cheers,
Alec
Last edited by Alec124c41 on 03 Dec 2019 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 03 Dec 2019 21:40

Yes run lp60 (switched so built in phono is off) to ART DJPRE II to powered(active) speakers will work

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 03 Dec 2019 21:45

Limeydog wrote:
03 Dec 2019 21:25
4) If I run my Audio-Techica AT-LP60-BT via a ART DJPRE II Pre-Amplifier into Edifier R1280T Active Bookshelf Speakers (which I understand to be power and therefore not requiring the pre-amp) will this set-up still benefit from the Art Pre-Amp? i.e. how does this set-up resolve the fact that there is a pre-amp and Powered/Active speakers?
Do not confuse preamp and phono-preamp. You need a phono preamp to amplify and RIAA equalize the cartridge signal. For that, you use either the AT-LP60 built-in phono preamp and feed directly the powered speakers, or either the phono output of the AT-LP60 goes in the ART-DJ phono preamp which produce a line level output for the powered speakers.

Limeydog
England

Post by Limeydog » 03 Dec 2019 22:10

Alec, thank you and mercy; Andy cheers and thanks; Bernard mercy beaucoup. So So helpful, seriously, very grateful. Muchas gracias all!!

British Raj
England

Post by British Raj » 04 Dec 2019 16:43

I have a similar query on another thread I started yesterday... except I am driving B&O Beolab 8000 active speakers. No volume control on the speakers. I was wondering if a decent phono headphone amp would work.
When I plug my smart phone to the speakers, the sound is perfect but I want to play my vinyl on them without putting the signals through an integrated NAD 3020E as that amp is humming.
Any advice gratefully received.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 05 Dec 2019 12:33

British Raj wrote:
04 Dec 2019 16:43
I have a similar query on another thread I started yesterday... except I am driving B&O Beolab 8000 active speakers. No volume control on the speakers. I was wondering if a decent phono headphone amp would work.
When I plug my smart phone to the speakers, the sound is perfect but I want to play my vinyl on them without putting the signals through an integrated NAD 3020E as that amp is humming.
Any advice gratefully received.
The output from a phono/headphone preamp would be equivalent to the output from your phone, so that should work.

Cheers,
Alec