One Speaker Quieter Than The Other?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
paddypaws
England

Re: One Speaker Quieter Than The Other?

Post by paddypaws » 02 Dec 2019 22:23

My money would be on shorted turns in the quiet speaker. I’d measure the resistance of each, they should be within about 0.2 ohms of each other.

digthispig222
United States of America

Post by digthispig222 » 02 Dec 2019 23:10

I did try checking the resistance, but my multimeter doesn't appear to be working no matter what I do. I even tried testing the good speaker and still got nothing. I did do the 9V battery test, and you can see where it sort of pops outward (I think this is a good sign?).

digthispig222
United States of America

Post by digthispig222 » 03 Dec 2019 00:55

I finally managed to get the magnet off while trying to be as non-destructive as possible. Once I got it off, I noticed something strange. There were bits of the magnet that were flaking off. Is this a sign that I should replace the magnet? If so, does it need some special kind of magnet?

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 03 Dec 2019 00:56

lenjack wrote:
02 Dec 2019 14:33
Not only did they fake it, they tried to make it look like an expensive tweeter.
lmao.....hard to believe a company would actually do something like that but nothing really surprises me anymore. Probably not against the law but ethically that's pretty low.....trying to convince a buyer that it's a 2 way speaker rather than just one full range driver.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 03 Dec 2019 01:01

digthispig222 wrote:
03 Dec 2019 00:55
I finally managed to get the magnet off while trying to be as non-destructive as possible. Once I got it off, I noticed something strange. There were bits of the magnet that were flaking off. Is this a sign that I should replace the magnet? If so, does it need some special kind of magnet?
I am with Tinkaroo on this.....first off that company is crap. Second, any company that would put a fake tweeter in their speaker should be completely dismissed out of hand.

My suggestion.....use them as something useful.....like interesting door stops or book ends. Or perhaps just remove whatever driver is in there and use the cabinets as a pots for a plants.....

Exerting all the effort you seem to be putting into this is like putting lipstick on a pig.

digthispig222
United States of America

Post by digthispig222 » 03 Dec 2019 01:07

Yes, I'm already aware that Soundesign has a reputation for making sub-par products (and the speakers and matching stereo system I'm sure are no exception) and that I'm probably putting too much time and effort into this. I just thought this whole thing would've been kinda fun. Oh well, at least I still have the matching speakers to a cheapo GPX all-in-one stereo system, haha.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 03 Dec 2019 04:38

digthispig222 wrote:
03 Dec 2019 01:07
Yes, I'm already aware that Soundesign has a reputation for making sub-par products (and the speakers and matching stereo system I'm sure are no exception) and that I'm probably putting too much time and effort into this. I just thought this whole thing would've been kinda fun. Oh well, at least I still have the matching speakers to a cheapo GPX all-in-one stereo system, haha.
Actually.....when you look at it like that, using these speakers as an experiment for you trying your hand at solving a technical issue is not all that bad an idea. These are the things to experiment with......if you screw up it's not like you would be ruining a pair of JBL L-100's or something.....lol.

UsableThought
United States of America

Post by UsableThought » 03 Dec 2019 06:04

paddypaws wrote:
02 Dec 2019 22:23
My money would be on shorted turns in the quiet speaker. I’d measure the resistance of each, they should be within about 0.2 ohms of each other.
Shorted turns = insulation failed due to overheating (overpowering) of speaker, e.g. via too much clipping at overly high volume etc., yes? To me, a cooked winding seems unlikely if the symptom is merely "quieter" rather than dead or distorted sounding. But I can't say for sure as I don't have a lot of experience cooking speakers.
digthispig222 wrote:
02 Dec 2019 20:34
So after reading some of these responses, I'm thinking maybe I should look at the magnet. Does anybody know of a non-destructive way to get the magnet off?
What's your objective here? What's your troubleshooting approach based on? Usually it would be the old "divide and conquer" so as to rule part X out and part Y still in. However you need some knowledge for that.

The best advice you've been given so far came from aardvarkash10 (and later from paddypaws) - namely, to measure and compare DC resistances for the coils on both speakers; you responded that your meter doesn't seem to be working. If you wanted to continue along technical lines, task one would be to get the meter working or else replace it if it truly seems dead (e.g. even after replacing battery etc.). Quite good digital meters are super-cheap these days & a meter is a good thing to have around even for very occasional DIY use.

You could also post a query on a repair-oriented forum such as the one I linked to before. Or you could Google to find beginner-oriented sites and/or articles on loudspeaker failures - e.g. Rod Elliott over at Elliott Sound has a long, rather technical article on exactly that here.

Really, my guess is that you're not so much interested in serious learning and/or repairing - you're more after the enjoyment of taking a strange object apart & fooling around w/ it a bit. If that's the case, have fun taking the speakers apart any which way you can! I've certainly amused myself by destructively taking things apart from time to time. The trash can awaits.

paddypaws
England

Post by paddypaws » 04 Dec 2019 13:11

No removing the magnet is a one way street and it’s very unlikey to be the magnet. It’ll be the coil or a connection to the coil.

PioneerFan

Post by PioneerFan » 04 Dec 2019 15:19

If you have a voltmeter, wouldn't checking the DC Offset on each channel be helpful, to see if there is a variance out of the amp?