Speaker parts explained

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
mrjaffa
Great Britain

Speaker parts explained

Post by mrjaffa » 21 Oct 2019 23:57

I have the floorstanding Monitor Audio Bronze 5 (https://images.app.goo.gl/jzmUhbpywognVK3S7) and was wondering whats what when looking at them.

I do now know the top “driver” (that’s right yeah?) is the tweeter. But what are the other two?

And the bottom part is the port, correct? Mine are inches away from the wall, so should I be using the supplied foam to bung it up? Front or back?

And I have one cable to each speaker, although there are connections for two cables on the speaker. I’m using the metal connector to connect these, but would it better for two separate cables to each speaker, but then how would you connect that to the receiver....

Cheers :-)

Bluesnote
Australia

Re: Speaker parts explained

Post by Bluesnote » 22 Oct 2019 01:07

You have the possibility to wire using 3 different methods

Single/ Bi-wiring/ and bi-amp
Have a look at your manual for instructions on how this is done (nice easy to follow diagrams, also advice on speaker placement).
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yt2ec4ypmu0g ... tracking=1

Chris

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 22 Oct 2019 05:27

Use the single cable for now.
Experiment with speaker positioning, and use what sounds best to you.
The bungs for the ports can suppress excessive bass booming, if that is a problem.
That should be a very good speaker. I have an older and smaller Monitor Audio pair, that sounds good to me.

Cheers,
Alec

mrjaffa
Great Britain

Post by mrjaffa » 22 Oct 2019 22:11

Thanks guys.

Can’t really experiment much with their position, limited with space and my set up.

I think my next upgrade may need to be speaker cables. I have some very old cables that I’ve used for a long time now, and when I recently had to install these speakers, I actually nearly tore through one of the cables. I can see the tear, but it obviously hasn’t actually gone through or it wouldn’t work, but I’m paranoid this could have effected the quality.

I need 8 metres of cable so need to keep them relatively cost effective and I’ve not really read any definite evidence of more expensive cable sounding better..... Right? ;-)

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 23 Oct 2019 01:53

My theory is that if you need special cables to make the speakers sound good, there is something wrong with the speakers.
Other people have different ideas ;)

Cheers,
Alec

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 23 Oct 2019 18:43

Do not expect different speaker cables to make any audible difference. If you're dissatisfied with the sound you're getting address the room acoustics even if you can't reposition the speakers.

Correcting room acoustics and proper speaker positioning are the two most important factors for better sound. Doing both is strongly recommended.