Newbie Question

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
British Raj
England

Newbie Question

Post by British Raj » 20 Oct 2019 13:07

So ... like thousands of others, getting back into Vinyl after decades of not using it ... jeez ... I may as well be talking about drukqs! :twisted:

So by sheer chance (what was available on Gumtree on the day), I have ended up with -
A really nice example of a Rega Planar 2 - 1980s vintage with a rather nice RP250 tone arm, A&R P77 cart, Paratrace Low Mass Diamond stylus (that I had re-tipped by Expert Stylus), NAD 3020E Amp and ... Bang & Olufsen Beolab 8000 speakers.

Now, I have been around listening to people's set-ups with box speakers and while mine may be a bit lacking in the bass department (no sub), i am actually delighted with the quality of sound.

However ... I would like some advice and commentary on the set-up. The NAD 3020E has a 6.3mm earphone jack on the front face. I have a double ended male 6.3mm to 3.5mm PRO OFC PURE Digital Cable taking the signals from the NAD 3020E to the Beolab 8000s. As far as I understand, the Beolab 8000s are active speakers and the cable is not carrying power (only signal) from the Amp to the the speakers. When I turn the volume up, it is the speakers doing the work - not the amp.

1. Is my understanding correct?
2. Am I losing any quality as a result of my set up? In other words, would it work better if I configured things in an different way?

:?: :?: :?:

bernard1
France

Re: Newbie Question

Post by bernard1 » 20 Oct 2019 13:17

You should use the Nad preamp output (I think there is one, or the tape output if not) to feed the Beolabs, not the headphone output.
Edit: there is no preamp output on the 3020e, and the tape output level is fixed. You have to set the volume on the Beolabs.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 Oct 2019 13:42

Agreed.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 20 Oct 2019 14:33

Use what works for you.

Cheers,
Alec

British Raj
England

Post by British Raj » 20 Oct 2019 20:40

Exactly what I am doing now, Alex. And it seems to be working fine.

Bernard ... My NAD 3020E certainly has a line out at the back for Phono. The only reason I am not using it yet is because I dont have a cable that will go out from the amplifier and into the Beolab 8000s.
i.e. Left & Right RCA into Left & Right 3.5mm inputs which is what the Beolab 8000s take.

https://i.imgur.com/sU1WQ2H.jpg

Is anyone else plugging a Phono output from an Amp into Beolabs? Will I gain anything from investing in the special cables that I am not getting now?

Also, Am i giving my 40 year old amplifier an easier ride by just using the earphone output?

Much appreciate a technical response.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 Oct 2019 22:31

The phono connection is not an output. It is a phono input. Unless you are connecting a turntable, ignore it. You are not giving your amplifier an easier ride. Get yourself the proper connecting cable to go from the amplifier to your speakers. You should have no difficulty in obtaining the proper connector.

British Raj
England

Post by British Raj » 21 Oct 2019 11:33

My bad... Didn't describe it well.

So the RCAs coming out of the Rega are plugged into the Phono In sockets shown in the picture.

Where I have deviated from the norm is that instead of taking the sound from the amp via the Left and Right lines out, I am plugging the B&O speakers into the headphone jack in the front of the amp. This seems to be working really well.

Question is, will I see an improvement if I plug the dialers into the back via RCAs?

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 21 Oct 2019 14:42

I do understand what you are doing, I think you will see-no hear-an improvement, if you make the change.

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 21 Oct 2019 15:17

I gave a look at the Beolabs manual. Those speakers have no sound level control apparently. They are made to be controlled by a Beomaster or a Beovision. But you can connect them to a non B&O product that will control the sound level. That's what you do by connecting the Nad headphone output to the Beolab.
And this is the only way, as the tape output on your Nad is level fixed.
So, no, you will not see an improvement if you plug the dialers into the back via RCAs.
And you answered the question yourself when you said "i am actually delighted with the quality of sound".

To make it short :
no volume control on the Beolabs
no volume controlled RCA output on the Nad
only possibility is Nad headphone output to the Beolabs

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 21 Oct 2019 15:27

Can you state for a fact that the tape output level of the Nad, will not vary with the Nad front panel volume control? If so, I stand humbly corrected, and apologize to British Raj for the misinformation.

British Raj
England

Post by British Raj » 21 Oct 2019 17:47

I think Bernard is right ... I found some spare wires (cheap rubbish off Ebay) and connected the Tape Out (which is the only line out on the back of the NAD 3020E) to the Beolabs. I could not control the volume (which was too loud) or the Bass / Treble.

So finally, seeing as all I am taking from the Amp is a sound signal via the earphone jack, would I be right in saying the amp is not working harder when the volume goes up? The amp circuitry seems to run cool at all volumes.

Oh and if anyone is wondering ....'dialers' is my phone's auto-correct when I was trying to say 'speakers' :|

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 21 Oct 2019 18:26

Since you are not driving speakers directly, your amp is far from being strained.

Cheers,
Alec