PS Audio Stack?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Bob257
United States of America

PS Audio Stack?

Post by Bob257 » 18 Oct 2019 15:11

I'm still very confused as to the direction I want to go for an amp upgrade. I won't be doing anything for at least a year since I've spent way too much this year! I'm running the Focal 1028be speakers, Rega P6 turntable, and a Marantz 6006 CD player. My current amp is a Yamaha a-s801. It's rated 100 watts/channel. My thoughts for the future are: 1) Luxman 505 MK II, 2) a PS Audio M700 stack with the phono preamp, or 3) McIntosh MAC7200. All in increasing price of course. The Luxman is rated 100 watts/channel, the PS Audio is 350watts/channel, and the McIntosh is 200 watts/channel. The prices are: $4900, approx $6500, and $7500 respectively. Any thoughts? Is there another integrated amp I should be considering? The Yamaha sounds okay so could I be going down "rabbit holes"? I'm sorry to bug everyone, but I'm pretty new to this.

rewfew
long player
long player

Re: PS Audio Stack?

Post by rewfew » 18 Oct 2019 16:23

It's like that old Cole Porter song, It's Just One Of Those Things. You got that itch for something new. Is it frivolous or a love that will last. The website Audiogon is full of people selling those frivolous things, moving on to something new. Wished I could tell you. I'm glad now I never had a lot of disposable dough to fling at those things. DIY was my route, but it's not everyone's bag. You'll figure it out, hopefully without just one of those crazy flings. ( As the song goes).

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 21 Oct 2019 17:05

Hey Bob. Just on a wild tangent, you might check out this vintage article from Stereophile on the Crown DC-300 power amplifier.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/cro ... -amplifier. Or this of the Crown D-150A Series II amplifier.
https://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/crown ... ies-ii.htm
Why these antiques? And from a company known for PA amplifiers. Well, because they're very well regarded. And for a pittance in outlay compared to newly minted audiophile contenders. With your nice focal speakers, these babies might impress you what vintage can do. Course, you'd have to go separates with pre and phono preamps.
But you could really go zaftig using this tube preamp to make a funky hybrid sound statement.
https://www.transcendentsound.com/masterpiece.html Highly regarded. And money to spare from the least obtrusive example mentioned.
There you have it. That's my offering in lieu to my initial post. Probably not your cup o tea. But something I'd lust for if I was on the make for amperes for your type of speakers.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 24 Oct 2019 03:24

Hi Bob. My main rig has a PS Audio stack of their Stellar Gain Cell DAC/pre and class-D S300 power amp, driving a pair of JM Lab/Focal Mezzo Utopia floorstanders, and I think it sounds quite nice.

Having the extra power and damping really creates a lot of headroom for peaks and transients. I have also noticed a much fuller, flatter frequency response at lower volume levels. And this gear is dead quiet with a very low noise floor. It is very revealing with no added harmonics, so if you like hearing micro details with no color added, this setup might be the one for you. I know some people prefer a warmer sound, so just personal preference. I think the PSA gear will give you the best value.

Also, you could run digital-out from your Marantz CD player into the PSA DAC and see how it compares to the CD player's onboard DAC.

Btw, I found that upgraded power cables, and a power conditioner, really take things up a notch further...and take the noise floor down even lower.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 24 Oct 2019 03:29

jdjohn wrote:
24 Oct 2019 03:24
Hi Bob. My main rig has a PS Audio stack of their Stellar Gain Cell DAC/pre and class-D S300 power amp, driving a pair of JM Lab/Focal Mezzo Utopia floorstanders, and I think it sounds quite nice.

Having the extra power and damping really creates a lot of headroom for peaks and transients. I have also noticed a much fuller, flatter frequency response at lower volume levels. And this gear is dead quiet with a very low noise floor. It is very revealing with no added harmonics, so if you like hearing micro details with no color added, this setup might be the one for you. I know some people prefer a warmer sound, so just personal preference. I think the PSA gear will give you the best value.

Also, you could run digital-out from your Marantz CD player into the PSA DAC and see how it compares to the CD player's onboard DAC.

Btw, I found that upgraded power cables, and a power conditioner, really take things up a notch further...and take the noise floor down even lower.
jdjohn.....I have looked into a power conditioner.....one that was affordable. Have seen a couple of used ones on Ebay that have a good reputation. Like Panamax for instance. Do you have any suggestions ?

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 24 Oct 2019 03:44

Personally, I have a PS Audio, but started with a Chang Lightspeed, which is a sleeper, under the radar brand.

I have heard good things (from people I trust) about Panamax, Furman, Audioquest, and for folks with deep pockets, Shunyata.

I would say avoid Monster...anything.