Pioneer SX-780, Cleaning Volume Control-Help Please

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
PioneerFan

Pioneer SX-780, Cleaning Volume Control-Help Please

Post by PioneerFan » 15 Oct 2019 12:57

I have owned a beautiful Pioneer SX-780 for a few years now. I have taken it apart a few times, just to do some light dusting/cleaning, and find my way around in it.

Lately, my volume control has that "scratchiness" when turning it up. Sometimes, it will temporarily go away if I shut the unit off, and work the control back and forth. But, It eventually comes back.

Would love to get some DeoxIt into the pot. Unfortunately, I cannot see an opening on the part where a nozzle could go in.

Has anyone cleaned the unit, and if so, any tips as to how to get in there and clean it? Many thanks, Arthur

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Pioneer SX-780, Cleaning Volume Control-Help Please

Post by Tinkaroo » 18 Oct 2019 17:33

I was hoping someone would take the time to answer you but I guess they are all too busy! :lol:

There is a tiny hole on the side of each of the volume pots that can be used to spray the deoxit through and then you need to work the switch back and forth through min to max a whole lot of times.

Make sure the power is off when you do it. Remove the outer casing and locate the volume pot and its openings. You may also want to do the other switches and controls, especially the source switch and other pots while you have it open. Once the stuff has dried out a bit give the system a test before putting it back together. Don't be surprised if you need to repeat the procedure in a months time.

Check out YouTube for some videos on how to use deoxit for visuals and tips. Let us know how you make out. I have a few pioneer amps and receivers and they are beautifully machines. 8)

PioneerFan

Post by PioneerFan » 18 Oct 2019 19:52

YouTube videos are only helpful to a point, as I still have yet to see one that shows the volume being cleaned on the 780. I have yet to see any holes on the volume pot. Your answer differs from what I read elsewhere, that stated where the three leads go into the control, that that's the place to put cleaner in.

So, I really do need to hear from someone that has worked on this specific receiver.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 18 Oct 2019 20:04

Truth be known I own several Pioneer receivers amps and tuners from that era, plus have cleaned pots on at least a couple of dozen different models of receivers. There is sometimes a couple of entry points to add deoxit but we usually have to eyeball the specific pot and use our ingenuity to figure that out. Sometimes the opening might be on the side or bottom of the pot.Sometimes they are a bit tricky to get the tube in to squirt cleaner in.

I have recently looked at the pot for the 780 online and noted the hole to which I referred. If the spot where the wires goes in works for you then try that instead. The SX-780 uses similar volume pots for other receivers from that series and era.

PioneerFan

Post by PioneerFan » 18 Oct 2019 20:21

OK, well, I am going to open up the receiver tonight. Thanks, and, fingers crossed!