The legend of stacked Advents

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
lenjack
long player
long player

Re: The legend of stacked Advents

Post by lenjack » 28 Oct 2019 14:10

I think your question is a valid one, and should be explored.

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 28 Oct 2019 15:31

Quad 57 electrostatics were "stacked" in an attempt to overcome their dynamic limitations.

I recall seeing, but never hearing, stacked Dalhquist DQ-10s. As the Dalhquist were designed to look like Quads that seems to suggest itself, specially designed stands required.

Google around and you will find different examples of stacking other speakers, even mismatched pairs.

The downside is phase coherency, if you think that's a thing, goes by the boards and possible introduction of comb filtering effects from driver interference. (Google "comb filter/driver interference" for unending discussions of that).

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 29 Oct 2019 01:56

pivot wrote:
28 Oct 2019 15:31
Quad 57 electrostatics were "stacked" in an attempt to overcome their dynamic limitations.

I recall seeing, but never hearing, stacked Dalhquist DQ-10s. As the Dalhquist were designed to look like Quads that seems to suggest itself, specially designed stands required.

Google around and you will find different examples of stacking other speakers, even mismatched pairs.

The downside is phase coherency, if you think that's a thing, goes by the boards and possible introduction of comb filtering effects from driver interference. (Google "comb filter/driver interference" for unending discussions of that).
Gee thanks pivot....lol.....I remember when I started reading about standing waves and thought my head was going to explode. Now I just briefly perused a short article on, as you suggested, comb filtering......ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.....

Although I will admit I do find all this acoustic science stuff to be quite interesting.....but it's well beyond my pay grade...lol.

I'm still trying to figure out how a microscopic needle moving around in grooves makes me hear music.....

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 29 Oct 2019 02:39

#-o Could be a case of...the more you know, the less you know...I feel the same way re standing waves. I wish they would sit down. :? Then, of course, there's comb filtering...oy vey :!: :roll: #-o :lol:

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 30 Oct 2019 17:01

lenjack wrote:
29 Oct 2019 02:39
#-o Could be a case of...the more you know, the less you know...I feel the same way re standing waves. I wish they would sit down. :? Then, of course, there's comb filtering...oy vey :!: :roll: #-o :lol:
Damn.....the more I am listening to this "stacked Advent" configuration the more I am liking it. Even at lower listening levels the sound just is more encompassing and more dynamic it seems. It almost feels like I could reach out and touch the music.

And the 4 original Advents cost me a total of 290.00....150.00 for my first pair, and 140.00 for this most recent pair.

I am even considering bringing them to a local woodworking place and having the cabinets refinished to truly make them look like new cosmetically since the drivers in both pairs look close to pristine...

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 08 Nov 2019 18:11

At the moment I simply can't switch out the stacked Advents. Paired with my Sansui Eight they just sound wonderful.

I get my Pioneer SX-850 back today and will give them a long listen driven by that as well. But right now it seems like the Eight is a glorious match for them