The legend of stacked Advents

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: The legend of stacked Advents

Post by pivot » 24 Oct 2019 16:25

As I said before about stacked Advents - "They do what they do very well, they don't do everything, nothing does."

johnnywalker
long player
long player

Post by johnnywalker » 24 Oct 2019 17:31

Adamo0926, those stacked Advents are gorgeous. I had stacked Advents back in the 1970's, and they seemed to sound the best with an AT-14Sa cart. What cart are you using?

Also, you might think about getting them off the floor. I used a short stand (about 12", if I remember correctly), and the bass seemed to get tighter.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 24 Oct 2019 18:04

johnnywalker wrote:
24 Oct 2019 17:31
Adamo0926, those stacked Advents are gorgeous. I had stacked Advents back in the 1970's, and they seemed to sound the best with an AT-14Sa cart. What cart are you using?

Also, you might think about getting them off the floor. I used a short stand (about 12", if I remember correctly), and the bass seemed to get tighter.
Actually.....the bass sounds excellent with them set up like that. The cart I have is a Denon DL-110 and for CDs I have a Marantz CD6006. In my last post I described how I love the bass and big and enveloping sound the stacked Advents have but wish they could have the detail and clarity that my Ohm C2s and ADS L730s have along with the airiness in the vocals those other two sets of speakers also have. If the Advents had those characteristics to the same extent as my Ohms and ADSs....then that configuration would be as close to perfect as I might ever get.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 24 Oct 2019 18:47

You may want to try them again with the speaker switches set to extended.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 24 Oct 2019 19:30

I know you like to tinker, but isn't it an awful lot of work to keep switching your 3 speaker setups back and forth, when all you want to do is kick back and listen to some music? Do you do this in the middle of a listening session? When you switch, do you haul the unused speakers out of the way, or out of the room, and put the replacement ones in the same favored spot? I'm not picking on you...I'm just curious.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 25 Oct 2019 01:18

lenjack wrote:
24 Oct 2019 19:30
I know you like to tinker, but isn't it an awful lot of work to keep switching your 3 speaker setups back and forth, when all you want to do is kick back and listen to some music? Do you do this in the middle of a listening session? When you switch, do you haul the unused speakers out of the way, or out of the room, and put the replacement ones in the same favored spot? I'm not picking on you...I'm just curious.
Actually had the stacked Advents set up for over a week.....then decided to set up one of my other pairs for comparison. Speakers are the easiest components to switch out. Right now I have the Ohms and ADSs both hooked up, and I can easily just switch to either by selecting either Speaker A or Speaker B from the receiver. And I can just take one off the stands and put the other pair on the stands.

Obviously, when I do go back to the stacked Advents, that takes a little more effort : )

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 25 Oct 2019 01:28

OK, thanks.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 25 Oct 2019 01:45

Tinkaroo wrote:
24 Oct 2019 18:47
Next time I set them up I plan to do just that.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 25 Oct 2019 17:51

Tinkaroo wrote:
24 Oct 2019 18:47
Just set up the stacks again......and all 4 speakers with the switch set to extended.

Put on the James Taylor LP again......night and day difference : )

With the switch in that position I would probably have dial back the mid range and treble tone controls on the
receiver with some other LPs and most CDs. Or for CDs I could simply move the switch back to the flat position. But I certainly have many options for massaging the sound for different recordings.

On a side note....on one of my Advents I noticed that the tweeter would cut out occasionally and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that aforementioned attenuator switch in the back. Because if I move it the tweeter seems to cut in and out at times. I assume there may be oxidation of some sort on the contacts. Is that something I can clean myself or should I play it safe and have a tech take a look at cleaning it up and checking the contacts ?

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 25 Oct 2019 20:06

If you can access the switch's internals give it a good cleaning and flush with DeOxit. It's the best contact cleaner that's easily available. Amazon and Parts Express carry it.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 25 Oct 2019 20:18

Go for it with Deoxit. Certainly worth a try.

syzygy
United States of America

Post by syzygy » 26 Oct 2019 19:05

In my bachelor days, around 1980, I had double Large Advents, a Carver cube amp (400 wpc?) on each channel, and an Advent 300 used as a pre, in a pretty large room with a high ceiling. That system would rock out - “Live at Leeds” was great!

SpruceMoose

Post by SpruceMoose » 28 Oct 2019 00:46

I ran my single large advents on a Carver cube. Excellent!!

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 28 Oct 2019 02:53

So here is another question....I have read in more than one place online that the only speakers that benefit from this stacked configuration are Advents and they should be the only ones that should be stacked.

Now there is no question after listening, that the double Advents sound so much better overall than just when I am playing a single pair. But why would some other speakers not benefit from a configuration like this ?

It makes me wonder if any other bookshelf speakers would benefit from this type of configuration. Certainly it would seem that speakers that are very similar to the Advents would benefit also. Speakers like AR's, KLH's, etc.

But what about stacking speakers like ADS bookshelf speakers, or KEF's, or even something like, gulp, Cerwin Vega's ?
Would those see any benefit or would they actually sound worse than just a single pair ?

There seems to be this prevailing notion out there that this only works well with these large Advents.....what say you ?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 28 Oct 2019 13:30

As I said, I have done this with the original Rega speakers. It sounded very good indeed, and bu doubling up, reduced the risk of blowing the speakers, should one want higher volumes.
Yamaha NS-1000 and Quad ESL 57 speakers were also known to be stacked, but more expensive.

Cheers,
Alec