The legend of stacked Advents

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Adamo0926
United States of America

Re: The legend of stacked Advents

Post by Adamo0926 » 17 Oct 2019 00:17

Well they are here and the legend is not a mirage. The best analogy I can make is this......take any 2 of The Beatles and have them perform together and they are still very very good. But all 4 of them together....is well.....The Beatles.

The bass is just beautiful with all 4 pumping. The sound just wraps it's arms around you it seems like. The sound is what you would expect to hear from a really really nice good sized floor standing pair of speakers.

Right now listening to "All The Roadrunning" by Mark Knopfler and Emmy Lou Harris. Driving the stack with my Sansui Eight receiver.

I'm quite impressed so far.

Here are a couple of pictures....grill cloth on and off....
AdStack1.jpg
(38.34 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
AdStack4.jpeg
(29.86 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 17 Oct 2019 00:29

Very nice! Is there any difference between your old pair and the new pair? Are they both all stock?

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 17 Oct 2019 00:45

I can almost hear them through your photos... =P~ =D> 8) :D If I was your neighbor, I'd invite myself over to listen, then send you to the kitchen for a couple of brews, and when you got back... .... :lol: I'm only serious :!:

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 17 Oct 2019 00:53

spensar wrote:
17 Oct 2019 00:29
Very nice! Is there any difference between your old pair and the new pair? Are they both all stock?
Both are all stock with recently refoamed woofers. Nothing has been done to the crossovers or the tweeters. So I have basically gone into a time machine and am experiencing the history of the stacked Advents for the first time.

And isn't this what "vintage" is really all about ?

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 17 Oct 2019 00:55

lenjack wrote:
17 Oct 2019 00:45
I can almost hear them through your photos... =P~ =D> 8) :D If I was your neighbor, I'd invite myself over to listen, then send you to the kitchen for a couple of brews, and when you got back... .... :lol: I'm only serious :!:
It seems I am not the only one who is mesmerized by the sound coming from this configuration....
AdStack5.jpg
(48.81 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
AdStack6.jpg
(44.65 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 17 Oct 2019 04:22

Experiment with a low, 1 foot or less, speaker stand and experiment with room placement. I recall I had mine on low stands and about a foot and 1/2 to two feet out from the back wall. Depends on room and listening location.

The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Nnicola
United States of America

Post by Nnicola » 17 Oct 2019 05:38

I've been running stacked Advents now for about two weeks and love them. Actually, to be completely accurate, it's a pair of OLA's, and a pair of NLA's, not the much talked about stacked OLA configuration. I fooled around with which speaker should be on top and which should be on the bottom and have a preference for the NLA's on top, but that very well may be related to my taste and the acoustics of the room.

I've run them with two different Harmon Kardon receivers, the HK 795i and the HK 3490. The HK 795i produces 70 watts per channel and the HK 3490 120 watts per channel. There is a big difference in sound with the extra 50 watts per channel, so you may want to make sure that you have enough power to drive both sets.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 18 Oct 2019 01:24

Now listening to XTC's "Skylarking" with this set up on the Kenwood KD-500 turntable (Grace G-714 tonearm and Fidelity Research FR-1 MK3F cartridge). The Advents now being driven by my 100 wpc Yamaha CR-2020 (my only receiver with an integrated phone pre-amp for this low output moving coil cart.

This is an amazing combination. The turntable is just back from the tech who did a sweet job getting it ready to roll. The combination of the deck, Grace tonearm and the Fidelity Research cart is quite the performer.

Here is a video that the tech posted on Youtube to document that he worked on this table...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glMeiHb ... e=youtu.be

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 19 Oct 2019 03:54

SpruceMoose wrote:
15 Oct 2019 20:43
Get them! I bought my first pair new in the late’70s. They sounded great. I found another pair in the mid ‘90s and stacked them. Sounded amazing. Took both pairs apart and built them into custom double advent enclosures. Even better! Been running them like that ever since as the front channels of my home theatre rig, along with a double advent center channel.

Do it. You won’t be sorry.
Spruce......do you have any pictures of your custom enclosures ? Would love to see that....

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 19 Oct 2019 16:44

I would suspect the enclosures would adversely affect the sound.

SpruceMoose

Post by SpruceMoose » 20 Oct 2019 23:56

Here ya go. As for the enclosures adversely effecting the sound, stacking them isn’t exactly what the Advent corporation had in mind either. :wink: You can also see 1/2 of my center channel double Advent. That’s a whole lot of Advent across the front of my HT rig. 8)
ABAC3876-2723-4BE4-B799-B62B7754EF7E.jpeg
(245.31 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
EA4690F2-99B0-4A5A-BA88-1843FE54C93D.jpeg
(280.93 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 21 Oct 2019 01:56

Thanks much.....looks great ! Certainly unique !

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 24 Oct 2019 03:23

Well after spending quite some time listening to the double Advents configuration, I have dismantled them for now and hooked up my Ohm C2s on the stands again.

So here are my impressions as of now....

The Advents do not have the detail and the clarity of my Ohm C2s or my ADS L730s. However I love the big, encompassing sound that comes from those stacked Advents. Plus the bass is amazing. If they had the clarity and detail of my Ohm's or ADS's, I don't know that I would ever need to listen to another speaker set up.

So having all these speakers and configurations is making me understand more clearly what I think would be a perfect speaker for my ears. The big enveloping sound of the stacked Advents but with the clarity and detail in the high frequencies and upper mid-range. More open and airy vocals as well like my Ohm's and ADS's.

So what would bring me close to my sonic nirvana ? Maybe a larger floor standing ADS speaker (which I have yet to demo yet). Maybe one of the Ohm Walsh speakers (though I have listened to those and I don't think they have super great detail and I also don't think they sound as big as the stacked Advents do).

Perhaps a nice electrostatic speaker like Martin Logan ? Obviously the electrostats (which I have listened to) have fabulous clarity, detail and airiness....but my concern is they would not sound as big and enveloping as the stacked Advents and may also be a little bass shy when compared to a floor standing ADS speaker for instance.

Obviously there are a zillion other speakers out there that I have never listened to...

So I guess the search for a speaker that I would consider to be sonic paradise will continue.....

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 24 Oct 2019 14:59

I don't know the solution for bass.....but for everything less.....biggest Magnepans you can afford with a decent high current capable amp. I don't have a dedicated sound room where I can do the right setup. I miss owning Maggies.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 24 Oct 2019 16:15

pivot wrote:
24 Oct 2019 14:59
I don't know the solution for bass.....but for everything less.....biggest Magnepans you can afford with a decent high current capable amp. I don't have a dedicated sound room where I can do the right setup. I miss owning Maggies.
Pivot.....I have a small listening area as I live in a condo. Those big Magnepans would never work here. The only way I could go that route would be to turn my basement into a sound room (and since it's unfinished that would take a lot of loot).

The smaller Martin Logans would fit nicely though and I certainly love the mids and highs of the MLs that I have listened to. But I fear that I would have to go the subwoofer route with a pair of MLs. Although some of the MLs I have heard do have very sufficient bass and would probably be fine for the space where I listen.

I will say that the sound of the stacked Advents changed with the material that was played, as is true for just about every speaker I think. With material that was well engineered during recording the Advent stacks sounded just superb. But last night when I played the LP "Dad Loves His Work" by James Taylor, an album that is an overly warm recording, it just sounded dull and lifeless on the Advents. On the Ohm C2s, it came alive. As you could hear much more detail in the percussion, acoustic, guitar parts, etc. And Taylor's voice also sounded more open and less muffled.

Now I'm sure playing with the tone controls and maybe setting the tweeter switch on the Advents to "extended" might bring a little more of that detail out. But it could also make it sound more harsh as well. I didn't really try that so next time I set up the Advent stacks I will try that. Or perhaps using an equalizer could bring out that detail while keeping it from being too harsh....but I would hate to go down the equalization path.