Temple Audio monoblocks.

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Woodbrains
England

Temple Audio monoblocks.

Post by Woodbrains » 22 Sep 2019 11:14

Hello,

http://www.templeaudio.net/monoblock.html

while ago I was recommended these Temple Audio monoblocks from a forum member, as I was looking for an affordable amp to replace my ageing Pioneer A400. There was lots of other good advice given about re capping the amp to reinvigorate it and keeping that, not re capping the amp and living with it, it isn't broken! Etc etc. But I still feel that my Pioneer is perhaps not at its best, and can be improved on. So these Temple Audio amps keep nagging at me as a possibility. In the elapsed time of being suggested these, I have saved up a bit of money, and want to get something to replace my amp.

Can anyone suggest a good pre amp that will be compatible with these, in the same sort of price region? I don't mind used, though not so aged that I will still have senility problems with the internals. It is funny that Temple Audio don't make one to match them, but that is the way it is. I have been looking around on the net, but don't really have any experience with choosing such a thing. I know Schiit Audio are loathed and loved in equal measure with internet critics, but I have an idea a Saga might be OK. If anyone has any better suggestions, then I'm open to persuasion. I actually wouldn't mind one with bass and treble controls, but it isn't a deal breaker.

Mike.

Cloudbase

Re: Temple Audio monoblocks.

Post by Cloudbase » 22 Sep 2019 16:49

Hi

Been running the Temple Audio monoblocks since about mid 2017, the same as shown in the link. Mid 2018 I then added the Temple Audio dedicated PSU's after thinking about it for awhile.
All I can say is wow, lovely transparency with the home built passive preamp added about the same time as I bought the monoblocks .
I expect most preamps will do the job.

You can only compare to what you have owned or heard over many years and I can say the TA/passive preamp combo hits the spot for me.

... Alan

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 22 Sep 2019 17:08

Cloudbase wrote:
22 Sep 2019 16:49
Hi

Been running the Temple Audio monoblocks since about mid 2017, the same as shown in the link ft. Mid 2018 cI then added the Temple Audio dedicated PSU's after thinking about it for awhile.
All I can say is wow, lovely transparency with the home built passive preamp added about the same time as I bought the monoblocks .
I expect most preamps will do the job.

You can only compare to what you have owned or heard over many years and I can say the TA/passive preamp combo hits the spot for me.

... Alan
Hello,

This is my plan too, get a pair of monoblocks then add the PSU later, when funds allow.

What pre amp are you using, home built as in a kit or some from a schematic, or is it totally your design. Anything you would recommend, a kit or something proprietary? I am competent at soldering kits, or could build from a list of parts and a schematic if I have to.

Mike.

Cloudbase

Post by Cloudbase » 22 Sep 2019 17:46

Hi Mike

Id been using an integrated amp and would have been happy to use this as a preamp but as well as being a big lump it had no "pre" out. I thought about the preamp side of things and decided to physically downsize.

Ended up building the Light Dependant Resistor (company name) pre which is supplied as a series of circuit boards. I made an enclosure and added a cheap wallwart psu.
Fortunately the LDR unit doesn't need an expensive psu. It saves you money. Being a kit supplied build its also fantastic value in itself and Chris the owner is a great bloke. As I was aiming for maximum transparency it seemed a good option.

I documented the build process here on Vinyl Engine. I think whichever pre you go for, passive or active if that's the term you'll not go far wrong.

.. Alan

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 22 Sep 2019 18:10

Hello Alan,

Many thanks for the recommendation, I'll look these up. In fact I think it was you who recommended the Temple Audio monoblocks initially, so thanks again for that, too.

Mike.