Should I recap my Advents?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
juggerjay1975
United States of America

Should I recap my Advents?

Post by juggerjay1975 » 18 Sep 2019 22:52

Hi all! I just scored a pair of "New Advents" from the '70s. The owner is a gentleman in his nineties who is moving to a small apartment and couldn't take them with him. He had them refoamed in 2007 and they are in GREAT shape. My question to you all is should I get them recapped? Will I notice a difference in sound? I've been using ADSL520s for 10 years and my ears are very accustomed to their sounds. The Advents have much more bass but they seem to lack in the mid-range. They have a crossover switch in the back featuring decreased, normal and extended. They all work.

Do you all think it would be worth it to have them recapped? Any insight would be appreciated! Here's a photo of them.
Attachments
20190916_192940.jpg
(181.54 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Should I recap my Advents?

Post by lenjack » 19 Sep 2019 01:19

I would. Simple enough, and inexpensive. If they are in good shape, they are FABULOUS speakers, if they are the originals. Advent never made anything better.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 20 Sep 2019 03:41

+1 On the re-cap. I have never been disappointed on the improvement after upgrading crossover caps. Do some research on the best replacement caps for that model. Poly-film caps will undoubtedly yield the best results, and then it relies on budget.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 21 Sep 2019 23:39

What are your thoughts on re-capping the orginal "The Advent Loudspeaker"...which I purchased fairly recently.

I like the original Advents quite a bit but overall they can't really compare to my ADS L730s or even my Ohm C2s. Of course those are 3 way speakers as compared to the 2 way Advents. And don't jump all over me with the line about a great 2 way can sound better than a 3 way....lol Yes they can.....but I think you have to empty your wallet quite a bit more to get that....

My ADS L730s are still my top speaker of the 3 pairs that I have.

If you are used to that ADS sound you will he hard pressed to find a speaker in that range that will knock it off it's pedestal. I am a huge fan of the ADS sound with their detailed but oh so smooth upper mid and high frequencies and their punchy and tight bass.

If I ever go back to floor standers I will be looking for the ADS 1090 or 1290.

ChrisfromRI
United States of America

Post by ChrisfromRI » 23 Sep 2019 02:35

Yes, re-capping 50 year old speaker crossovers is a very good practice. Todays film capacitors are available in the same capacitance/voltage values and are far more transparent, plus you know they will be accurate as to their actual values. Old crossover caps were generally electrolytics which are notorious for drifting in capacitance value over time, plus drying out and going poof under power. Finally, getting your Advents up off of the floor might be a good idea as well.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 23 Sep 2019 05:18

ChrisfromRI wrote:
23 Sep 2019 02:35
Yes, re-capping 50 year old speaker crossovers is a very good practice. Todays film capacitors are available in the same capacitance/voltage values and are far more transparent, plus you know they will be accurate as to their actual values. Old crossover caps were generally electrolytics which are notorious for drifting in capacitance value over time, plus drying out and going poof under power. Finally, getting your Advents up off of the floor might be a good idea as well.
While a prudent thing to do....no amount of recapping will make my original Advents rival the sound quality of my
ADS L730s or my Ohm C2s. The original Advents sound very nice but in a different kind of way. They are more nostalgic to me than anything else because my roommate in my Senior year at the University of Massachusetts had them set up in our off campus apartment.

So as much as I like their sound they really can't match the refinement, smoothness and detail of the ADS's or the upper mid to high frequency clarity of the Ohm's. But sometimes I enjoy listening to a little bit more of a raw, back to basics, college dorm room kind of sound which is why these Advents won't be going away anytime soon : )

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 23 Sep 2019 16:12

Definitely, the soft dome tweeter of ADS should out-perform what looks to be basically a specialized cone tweeter in the New Advent. But re-capping the Advents is still worth the money for however they get used in the future. I also agree with Chris that getting them (or any monitor speaker) on stands will dramatically help with the sound. It helps not only with isolation, but also getting the rake angle correct (i.e., pointing up towards your head/ears). I can recommend IsoAcoustics stands without hesitation.

Jay, your receiver (at least the right half of it) looks nice. Has it been service...re-capped?

juggerjay1975
United States of America

Post by juggerjay1975 » 23 Sep 2019 18:22

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it. To jdjohn, I have never recapped my HK receiver but I have cleaned the pots. I purchased it about a decade ago on Craigslist.

I just purchased some stands that are actually "mid-century plant stands" from Amazon for fairly cheap. That will get them 6 inches off the ground.

Adamo0926, thanks for your opinions on the ADS. I love my 520s. I'm starting to dig the Advents as well and will most likely recap them. Thanks all!!

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 24 Sep 2019 01:31

Here are a couple of pics of my Advents on stands....
Advent1.jpeg
(82.81 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Advent2.jpeg
(91.45 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Advent3.jpeg
(138.77 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Advent4.jpeg
(94.47 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

Bill_Ashton

Post by Bill_Ashton » 25 Sep 2019 00:43

In one word "YES!" Made a great difference in my 1980-ish B & O M75's...

theclosetguy
United States of America

Post by theclosetguy » 26 Sep 2019 00:30

I'm going to be blunt here. Passive Speaker caps are never stressed. The voltages are so low they never get hot or overheated. That's a false truth. Granted with time they MAY drift or dry out. Have you tested them? Do you own a DVM? I don't understand why anyone would randomly decided to repair electronics without first testing the components. If the components test good and the speakers sound great to you, why change them.? Also changing out vintage caps and resistors will most decidedly change the sound.
I have a pair of Radio Shack Minimus-7's. I think they are at least 35 years old. And they sounded really good for a small speaker. If you research on the internet there is a recommended crossover upgrade. First order to 3rd order I think.
Since I've built at least 20 different systems myself, changing out the network was a no brainer. Completely changes how the speakers sound They still sound good connected up to my vintage Marantz 1060 Console Amp. But connected up to my Sonos Connect Amp. They sound like crap.
I regret thinking they could be improved.
Think about it.

ChrisfromRI
United States of America

Post by ChrisfromRI » 28 Sep 2019 05:57

I re-capped the crossovers in a set of working IMF loudspeakers that I bought, with replacement caps provided by Falcon Electronics in the UK. Falcon have a history with IMF and supply replacement cap sets for the IMF line of speakers, and several other British brands of speakers. They currently make a line of their own speakers as well, in keeping with classic BBC designs. The caps in my IMFs were almost 50 years old, and I actually did measure the ones I removed with a capacitance meter. One of the electrolytic crossover caps was over 30% off its marked value. I don't think it started that way as IMFs were a very high quality speaker brand with a lot of engineering and quality control. The new replacement caps were all within a few percentage points of their marked values. I listened before and after and there was a pretty big improvement in the sound, as both speakers were now better matched, sounded more alive, a little more transparent, and the imaging even seemed better. They sound great with some vintage tube equipment (also re-capped) on one of our systems.

I repaired another set of older speakers for a friend with one tweeter that wasn't working and thought to be blown. My mind was racing early on as I knew I could never get the same exact tweeter and it was going to probably take some effort just to find a suitable replacement that would fit the hole, have the same impedance, similar response, efficiency, etc. I knew in the end it probably wouldn't match the other speaker, and I might end up having to replace both tweeters... Well, it turned out that an electrolytic cap had exploded in its crossover, probably because it had dried out. I had to vacuum the exploded capacitor debris out of the cabinet, and none of the parts were large enough to determine its value. Thankfully I had the other speaker of the pair and I was able to determine the exploded cap's value from the still intact cap in the other speaker's crossover. It turned out the tweeter wasn't blown at all, it was just the cap - but I did replace all of the caps based on that one exploding. All of my worry about replacement tweeter(s) vanished...

NOYB
United States of America

Post by NOYB » 02 Oct 2019 02:15

juggerjay1975 wrote:
18 Sep 2019 22:52
Do you all think it would be worth it to have them recapped? Any insight would be appreciated!
Unless there is a problem, no.

If you do replace the caps, do so with same type if you want to retain the original sound as close as possible. There is more to capacitors that just simply the voltage and capacitance. Different types will have different characteristics even if they are of the same voltage and capacitance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalen ... resistance

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 06 Oct 2019 15:42

Just hooked up my original Advents again.....almost forgot how nice these speakers sound. Driving them with my Sansui Eight receiver...

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 06 Oct 2019 20:22

Original Advents, properly working, are/were, one of the all time greats. I'm sorry I still don't have mine.