speaker refoaming

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
lenjack
long player
long player

speaker refoaming

Post by lenjack » 17 Sep 2019 23:40

What is the best online dealer for do it yourself woofer refoaming?

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: speaker refoaming

Post by musicmn » 18 Sep 2019 03:04

Hi lenjack, I've refoamed a lot of speakers in the last five years and I have a couple of go to guys they are midwest speaker repair, simplyspeakers.com, and I have also bought foam kits from Nashville speaker repair. All three have given me great service and there foam kits are top of the line. I hope this helps.

paulrenea

Post by paulrenea » 18 Sep 2019 03:08

I suggest going to eBay and Amazon and see what is available in your foam size requirement. Unless you have expensive woofers, just go with best price for generic replacement foams. If you need some guidance videos for doing the re-foam job, go to YouTube and you should find a good number of helpful videos on the subject. Use a good quality glue like Aleene's Original Tacky Glue which can be bought at Walmart. If you need to remove the speaker cone dust caps in order to have easy access to use card stock spacers between the magnet and circle where cone enters the magnet, these caps can be found at eBay and Amazon as well. I only visit Vinyl Engine once in a while, so good luck with the adventure. Take your time and do a good job.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 18 Sep 2019 03:32

Any of the more reputable commercial speaker repair companies that also sell to the public online will have a very good on-site video and materials to assist in your repairs. For the greater percentage of speakers, it isn't a difficult project, just requiring some time, patience and a steady hand. Plus a little prep along the way. YouTube may or may not be a good option, as it is too easy to end up repeating the mistakes of some of the "presenters". The guys who manufacture, install and sell surrounds are not likely to steer you wrong. Done right, it is a very satisfying undertaking. Also, be leery of one size fits all kind of marketing, as this can easily fall into the same category of buying "universal fit" belts....some speakers have very specific surrounds, and generics will not work correctly. Lots of research, prep and attention to detail=successful project and like new sound reproduction. You might want to check out Orange County Speakers...not too far from you...a great site (hope I've remembered the name correctly). Cheers and good luck! :wink:

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 18 Sep 2019 13:31

Thanks all. On Paradigm Titans, does anyone know how to remove the grills?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 Sep 2019 13:40

lenjack wrote:
18 Sep 2019 13:31
Thanks all. On Paradigm Titans, does anyone know how to remove the grills?
Go in from the rear.

Cheers,
Alec

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 18 Sep 2019 13:43

Thanks Alec. I suspected that. Simply speakers says no need to uses shims. I'm leery of not using them.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 18 Sep 2019 14:48

I refoamed a pair of Titans without shims and it was no problem. These are a small woofer and pretty straight forward.
For foams I found generic ones that had the correct size specs - inexpensive but the cost is waiting for the mail from China.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 18 Sep 2019 16:13

Anyone else re refoaming Titans without shims?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 Sep 2019 18:04

I did a couple of pairs of Titans, without using shims. The spiders held them well enough that there was no problem.
BTW, the Titans are one of the better small speakers that I have heard. I like them better than the PSB Alphas.

Cheers,
Alec

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 18 Sep 2019 18:24

IME smaller speakers <8" generally do not need shims when re-foaming.

I've been buying new foam surrounds from Simply Speakers.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 18 Sep 2019 19:22

With as many posts as you guys have, and since Alec has done Titans without shims, I fully trust you fellows judgment on this. I supplement my Titans with a 10 inch Hsu sub which came with a 250 watt amp.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 18 Sep 2019 21:48

I haven't done Titans, but have done several other pair using kits from Simply Speakers...and haven't used shims on any of them. Btw, they have an eBay store as well.

Cleaning the old foam and glue off (woofer AND frame) is the most tedious aspect of this job.