Speaker AB switch

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
joea
United States of America

Speaker AB switch

Post by joea » 16 Sep 2019 23:45

Looking for a simple, cheap, "passive" AB speaker switch that is unlikely to blow up my receiver if switched when power is applied.

The intent is not to switch madly under power, but just to avoid the time delay in when comparing speakers, due to having to manually change the wires.

Screw post terminals are OK. Actually anything I can just plug the speaker wires into without having to solder on special ends.

Thanks.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Speaker AB switch

Post by Alec124c41 » 17 Sep 2019 04:33

Radio Shack used to sell them, with front panel switches for 4 sets of speakers. You might find one kicking around for not much cash.
A quick Google for speaker switch box brings up a number of products, aka speaker selectors.

Cheers,
Alec

joea
United States of America

Post by joea » 17 Sep 2019 19:51

Alec124c41 wrote:
17 Sep 2019 04:33
Radio Shack used to sell them, with front panel switches for 4 sets of speakers. You might find one kicking around for not much cash.
A quick Google for speaker switch box brings up a number of products, aka speaker selectors.

Cheers,
Alec
Thanks. Unfortunately, my previous Google searches and on Amazon yielded units with little information, with some suggesting they had some sort of "active" circuitry. None seemed to explicitly state they were only mechanical switches.

Well, I do have some old printer switch boxes around, or did, that I could "re-purpose". There's a word I'm coming to love, or hate, the older I get.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 Sep 2019 00:13

The cheaper ones are I believe, just switches. After that, you get into some designed for multiple room set-ups. that have some provision to avoid overloading the amp with multiple loads.
I see a Monoprice one at about $30, and a Pyle for $36, that give you the option to go either way.
These are passive units.

Cheers,
Alec

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 18 Sep 2019 08:29

I would be looking for a switch that opens before closing. That way, you don't get two sets of speakers in parallel and so place a relatively high (but relatively short) load on the amp's output.

You will have to do something to control the "pop" that will inevitably result from this. Clamping diodes may be the answer there.

joea
United States of America

Post by joea » 18 Sep 2019 13:48

aardvarkash10 wrote:
18 Sep 2019 08:29
I would be looking for a switch that opens before closing. That way, you don't get two sets of speakers in parallel and so place a relatively high (but relatively short) load on the amp's output.

You will have to do something to control the "pop" that will inevitably result from this. Clamping diodes may be the answer there.
IIRC one type was called "Break Before Make", the other "Make Before Break" . . . could also describe various projects I have tackled over the years.

joea
United States of America

Post by joea » 18 Sep 2019 13:49

Alec124c41 wrote:
18 Sep 2019 00:13
The cheaper ones are I believe, just switches. After that, you get into some designed for multiple room set-ups. that have some provision to avoid overloading the amp with multiple loads.
I see a Monoprice one at about $30, and a Pyle for $36, that give you the option to go either way.
These are passive units.

Cheers,
Alec
I'll take another look.