Finally getting a dedicated room....some advice seeking

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Pscm

Finally getting a dedicated room....some advice seeking

Post by Pscm » 04 Sep 2019 03:24

So it would seem my son will stay in college and I approached my wife about building a wall in our finished basement and got a yes. So this means the room I will have will either be 13.5 x 12 ft or 13.5 x 15 ft. It will have 7 ft ceiling height. Not the best room size I know but better than nothing. My initial thoughts were trying the rule of thirds but thought I would get some input.

I had mentioned in a post a couple of years ago that I am going to build it aviation themed being that is what I do for a living. I got invigorated in the fact that we tore down a commercial aircraft for a customer and they were trashing the pilot seats. These babies are sweet. I also got the mounting tracks from the aircraft. They have height adjust, recline, dual lumbar adjust and adjustable armrests. Some new leather and will likely have some really cool listening chairs. I have also been collecting some trinkets along the way to decorate with but am not going to go crazy. The one thing I am after but haven't found the right one yet is a galley to house equipment and records.

Any input is appreciated.

Solist
Slovenia

Re: Finally getting a dedicated room....some advice seeking

Post by Solist » 05 Sep 2019 21:38

You probably know the answer. Position and listen, reposition and listen again. One of the most immersing experiences I have got, was in a listening room under the roof. And not a big room either. So, the ceiling behind the speakers was sloped, and the speakers were positioned at an angle, approx 45 degrees of the long axis of the room. Some smartly positioned cylindrical diffusers/absorbers and the speakers were not there. Literally for the sake of me I could not tell that the speakers were plugged in.

I really like the idea about the aviation listening chairs. They will certainly give some character to the room.

ChrisfromRI
United States of America

Post by ChrisfromRI » 12 Sep 2019 06:21

This worked well for us as a compact analog audio area in one of our listening rooms. The home-made turntable is wall shelf mounted, and the console for record and tape storage also supports the home-made tube phono stage and its external power supply, as well as a tape deck for playing 2 track 15 ips master tape dubs. I built the console to fit birch plywood bins that were available already built on ebay.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/487 ... 3418_k.jpgNH Record Bins by c f, on Flickr

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Sep 2019 08:04

I also like the aviation chairs idea...What would be cool is building some type of "cockpit" and instead of windows, a big TV screen, so it could double as a movie/entertainment/sports room, if that was an interest...The seats could be facing the cockpit, like on a real plane, too...A receiver with a dial that looks like a radar screen or gauge would be another decor option...Think Pioneer QX-747 or even a KLH Model 27 that has those unique "control panel"-type knobs...A KLH Model 18 tuner has that nice vintage look about it, too, and could be a nice accent piece...That's one thought...You could outfit the room with lots of wooden shelves and keep some aviation memorabilia in between the records...Maybe some aviation-related travel posters on the walls...or framed record albums with planes on the covers (Think Dave Brubeck's "Jazz Impressions Of Eurasia", Joe Walsh's "The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get" or Norrie Paramor's "Jet Flight", for example...)...Whaddya think??? Anything stand out to you? :-k

If all else, you could build this nice propeller clock for the room...

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 12 Sep 2019 08:22

If you want some real fun, there was a TV show called Disco Step-By-Step out of Buffalo, New York in the late 70's and was filmed in a club called the 747 Lounge attached to a local hotel. From what I remember there was disco balls, chrome and glass everywhere and video screens on the dance floor. The 747 Lounge looked like the inside of an aircraft. I wish it was still around. I did have to leave the room when the "Make it or Break it" segment came on though. Just a thought for an aircraft themed listening room...

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 14 Sep 2019 01:07

Getting back to the room itself- go with the larger dimension. (Best bass response) And if you can, avoid parallel walls. That gets goofy in a home but it sounds better and is easier to treat without having to “kill” all the natural reverb.

In the basement, if your first floor joists are exposed, use them. Avoid the temptation to put up a smooth ceiling. Hard, but not smooth or too uniform are great for diffusion. Again, avoiding the “dead” room.

In a home, you will have to come to a compromise. So plan your record shelves on the side wall where the first reflection will occur. The pre planning is tough, but you build it once, and enjoy. Spend that time up front- it’s well worth it.

hoolio
Australia

Post by hoolio » 14 Sep 2019 01:24

Have you got enough power outlets built in? Now would be the time to do this. I've never had enough. :lol:

Pscm

Post by Pscm » 15 Sep 2019 01:40

Thanks for the theme ideas and suggestions. The room already has the ceiling. I only need to build one wall to get my own area. The room will be slightly rectangular.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 15 Sep 2019 02:25

Good point on outlets. If you can pull the “main” one for the system off the top of the panel (where power first hits the rails) that’d be the best.

US code these days is one every six feet max (unless it’s changed) so if you have the option, you might as well load up on them.

When I do new work, I keep the lighting circuits separate from the outlets. That way you can clearly see the damage after you get electrocuted.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 15 Sep 2019 08:38

I built my HiFi room, but what you have could sound great positioning things optimally. Love the aircraft seats idea very cool indeed.
We need pics of how this ends up!
Cheers
Chris

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 15 Sep 2019 09:28

When you build the wall....think about building a turntable mount....some people build a plinth which reaches down into the foundations and provides a rock solid base to mount a table on ....if you have the kind of table and set up that will benefit from that kind of approach. :D

djcoma

Post by djcoma » 18 Sep 2019 04:50

Jim Leach wrote:
15 Sep 2019 02:25
Good point on outlets. If you can pull the “main” one for the system off the top of the panel (where power first hits the rails) that’d be the best.
How's that?

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 18 Sep 2019 08:14

Speaking of outlets, something I wish I had paid more attention to at the time, was to allow for free and easy access to the backs of all my equipment to make quick and easy access to inputs/outputs, antennae, grounds, and the inevitable snake's nest of wires and cables. It makes future adjustments and additions/changes a lot more pleasant. I'm too big and getting too old to be clambering over and around racks and components and would absolutely enjoy a walk behind capability. Some easy work with a sabre saw could create some believable overhead storage bins and 'faux' aircraft windows along one or both walls, and I think some discrete aircraft style overhead and floor lights would look awesome as well if the theme goes that far. Lots of possibilities with some imagination. Some additions like these would also help soften the reflective nature of bare walls at the same time. Sounds like a fun project. Another big thumbs up for the aviator chairs as well! Cheers! :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8)