Marantz Imperial 6's/vintage bookshelf speakers - opinions?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Jmoog

Marantz Imperial 6's/vintage bookshelf speakers - opinions?

Post by Jmoog » 22 Aug 2019 23:02

I am looking for a set of vintage speakers for my two stereo systems. I am currently using a pair of Magnavox floorstander speakers from the 1980's that don't sound horrible to me but I know that I can do better.

The first system is a Marantz 4415 quad receiver with a Garrard SL 72b TT.

The second system is a Pioneer SX-626 receiver with a Pioneer PL S70 TT.

I read that the Marantz receiver was paired with the Marantz Imperial 6 speakers. Has anyone had any experience with the Imperial 6's? I like the fact that the 6's are bookshelf speakers and as my listening room is not very big I think bookshelf speakers may be a better way to go.

Any other suggestions for a set of vintage bookshelf speakers that may work well with both systems? Thanks.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Marantz Imperial 6's/vintage bookshelf speakers - opinions?

Post by musicmn » 23 Aug 2019 16:25

Hi, i just sold a pair on Imperial 6's that I have been sitting on for two years. I planned on doing a full restoration on these speakers but never got around to it. IMO these are not really bookshelf speakers in the genuine sense. They are large speakers measuring 24" high x 12" deep x 14" wide estimated size and they are very heavy. I did hook them up to a Sansui QRX 3000 receiver and turntable and gave them a good listening to. They were not the best sounding speakers. I really don't like the Phenolic type tweeters that are used in these speakers. To me they are very tinny sounding with very little detail. If you can pick them up at a good price (under $50.00) and upgrade the tweeters to a soft dome type. Then upgrade the caps in the crossover you may end up with a very good sounding speaker. As far a good Bookshelf speaker meaning something smaller in size. I do know that most manufactures of speakers like JBL, Klipsh, BIC, Yamaha, Bose, ect all made some very nice sounding smaller size speakers. So check out as many of them as you can and pick the set that sounds best to you. I hope this helps.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 23 Aug 2019 18:48

For smaller bookshelf speakers let me add ADS to the above list. I have a pair of ADS L730s and my buddy a pair of ADS L810s. They sound very similar. But both have that classic ADS sound....smooth, refined and detailed with tight punchy bass. Even the smaller 2 way bookshelf speakers sound exceptional.

Before I purchased my L730s I did a lot of hunting for what people were writing about ADS speakers. And I have yet to see anything where the person did anything but praise them.

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 23 Aug 2019 19:33

Here's another vote for ADS's. Another set of vintage speakers that should pair up nicely would be the Dynaco A-25's.

I used to own a pair of Imperial 7's that I really liked. They were very similar in sound to the JBL studio monitors in sound.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 24 Aug 2019 00:50

Do you have a budget for these speakers?
I haven't heard the Marantz Imperial 6s, but I can't believe they are very good. There were a lot of REALLY crappy speakers made in those days.
If you want some older bookshelf speakers, I would seek out models from ADS, KEF, B&W, Rogers, Spendor, Celestion, Polk, Advent, or Dynaco.

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 24 Aug 2019 14:23

Sunwire wrote:
24 Aug 2019 00:50
I haven't heard the Marantz Imperial 6s, but I can't believe they are very good. There were a lot of REALLY crappy speakers made in those days.
Don't mean to contradict you but you might want to give the Marantz Imperial series of speakers a listen before you lump them into the 'junk' category. You'll be surprised.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 24 Aug 2019 17:05

Although there are those who like those Imperial speakers, I'm not one of them. IMO/E they sound mediocre at best. I would seek out models from ADS, KEF, B&W, Rogers, Spendor, Celestion, Polk, Advent, or Dynaco as Sunwire posted.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 25 Aug 2019 00:37

I also have a pair of Ohm C2s which are an excellent sounding bookshelf speaker. I also recently picked up a pair of The Advent Loudspeaker....Advents first release I believe. I got that pair for 150.00 and both the cabinets and drivers were in excellent condition. Listening to the Advents as I type this....certainly not as smooth and refined as my ADS L730s, but they are a very very nice sounding speaker. Of course when both speakers were initially released the ADS cost many of hundreds of dollars more than the Advents and are a 3 way speaker as opposed to the 2 way Advents.

But if you can find a pair of these Advents in good to excellent condition they can probably be had for less than 200.00, where the ADS L730s or 810s in excellent condition would probably cost north of 300.00.....unless you stumble on a really great bargain !

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 25 Aug 2019 00:59

I don't know if they fit your size or price limits, but I think KEF 103.2 speakers are a very good value at their current selling price ($250-350).
These were the most popular speakers in the last store where I worked, and for very good reason.
http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/kef- ... 2-327.html