Speaker confusion

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Bob257
United States of America

Speaker confusion

Post by Bob257 » 19 Aug 2019 23:59

I've been looking at so many reviews that my mind is almost blown!! I've posted questions about speakers here before so I apologize to bring them up again. I'm just a lost soul I guess. I use a Yamaha a-s801 integrated amp to drive them and Rega P6 turntable with the Exact MM cartridge. My current speakers are EPI 320 T/E's from the 80's. The woofer and midd have been replaced. I only sit around 7 feet from the speakers. I'm considering upgrading with (?) Focal 926, Paradigm 8500, or Martin Logan ESL or something else if I can get good suggestions and maybe find where I can hear them!! I was also looking at reviews of SVS Ultra Towers. I see that Martin Logan makes a model 40 that has ribbon tweeter but not electrostatic. Please help, especially if you've had some experience with any of those speakers.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Speaker confusion

Post by Alec124c41 » 20 Aug 2019 04:17

Take this as an opportunity to cruise any decent audio shops within reach, and listen to what they might have. Don't be in a hurry to buy anything. Just enjoy hearing all the different speakers, until you find yourself keeping coming back to a particular pair.

Cheers,
Alec

Bob257
United States of America

Post by Bob257 » 20 Aug 2019 15:34

Thanks Alec. The biggest problem I've encountered is finding stores that have the speakers to listen to!

chamaruco

Post by chamaruco » 21 Aug 2019 08:20

give an opportunity to an audition of dali's, my recent discover

Rahuul
India

Post by Rahuul » 21 Aug 2019 12:54

Hi Bob,

If you could also specify if you have a budget in mind and whether you have bookshelf or floor standers in mind it would help. I was just listening to a pair of Paradigms (not the model you mentioned) belonging to a friend and they sounded great in my opinion. However, a lot depends on the kind of music you like, room acoustics and a lot of other variables. You could read online reviews to shortlist and then go from there. But I would recommend listening for yourself or talking to people who use the same amplifier if that's possible.

If you can find a dealer who stocks them I would recommend looking at the Goldenear Triton Seven / Triton Five or other models from the range. They sound fantastic and work well with most amplifiers.

Bob257
United States of America

Post by Bob257 » 22 Aug 2019 14:53

I'm looking for a floor standing speaker. I use the EPI's now and they're not too bad for being older. My amp is the Yamaha s801 which is rated 100 watts/channel. The difficult part is finding dealers to audition the speakers!

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 22 Aug 2019 18:12

Problem is, that no matter how good, or bad speakers you audition, sound at a shop, it doesn't matter, because they will sound different, in your listening room, which is where it counts. You need to get written return privileges on anything you buy, for that reason.

Rahuul
India

Post by Rahuul » 23 Aug 2019 08:55

Hi Bob,

The reason I was suggesting the Goldenear models is that they work well with a variety of amps including tube and solid state. There is a provision to request for a demo on their website. Maybe you can fill in the form and see if they respond. Link below:

https://www.goldenear.com/support/vip-audition

Bob257
United States of America

Post by Bob257 » 24 Aug 2019 19:35

Well, I made a BIG decision, I bought a set of Focal 1028 Be speakers. Above my original budget but they sounded really good and, since they're discontinued, they were 43% off the original price. Now I'll figure out a way to sell my EPI's, Polk Subwoofer, and my Technics DL-20 turntable!!