The Advent Loudspeaker (the original)

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
lenjack
long player
long player

Re: The Advent Loudspeaker (the original)

Post by lenjack » 13 Aug 2019 21:49

Just reread an article in the 2/92 issue of Audio Magazine, an interview with Henry Kloss, the designer of both of these speakers, and he feels these were both, his best work, but he gives the edge to the Advent, especially in the bass. You can read it herehttps://www.americanradiohistory.com/Ar ... 992-02.pdf on page 34, towards the end of the interview, although I heartily recommend reading the entire thing, since it's so fascinating.

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 13 Aug 2019 21:54

Belmont wrote:
13 Aug 2019 21:03
How exactly do these compare against the KLH Model Six? I see they have the same designer, and a similar driver compliment. I loooove my Sixes, especially for the rich bass and realistic midrange, but the highs have always been kinda..eh. Worth seeking out the Advents, or should I look elsewhere?
Before you give up on KLH 6 do a web search on "recapping KLH 6". If your KLH have never had their crossovers worked on they are a couple decades overdue for new capacitors. The caps in the KLH were not expected to last 3 decades and replacement can really refresh the sound.

Belmont

Post by Belmont » 13 Aug 2019 23:00

pivot wrote:
13 Aug 2019 21:54
Belmont wrote:
13 Aug 2019 21:03
How exactly do these compare against the KLH Model Six? I see they have the same designer, and a similar driver compliment. I loooove my Sixes, especially for the rich bass and realistic midrange, but the highs have always been kinda..eh. Worth seeking out the Advents, or should I look elsewhere?
Before you give up on KLH 6 do a web search on "recapping KLH 6". If your KLH have never had their crossovers worked on they are a couple decades overdue for new capacitors. The caps in the KLH were not expected to last 3 decades and replacement can really refresh the sound.
I’ve recapped them already with Dayton caps. They sound fantastic, but if I could just find something with a bit more air up top, that would be lovely.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 14 Aug 2019 01:15

Well it's official.....I didn't wait until Thursday......they are now part of my ever growing collection of speakers...
I think they epitomize that "east coast sound" of the 70s....neutral and smooth with very nice bass. A very nice
listenable full sounding speaker.
Here they are...
Advent1.jpeg
(82.81 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Advent2.jpeg
(91.45 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Advent3.jpeg
(138.77 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Advent4.jpeg
(94.47 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 14 Aug 2019 15:19

That refoam looks correct with a "concave" profile. Seen incorrect refoams that can impact performance. Very clean looking rebuild. You did well!

Keep your eye open for a second pair to try "stacking". The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=44881

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 14 Aug 2019 16:39

My ideal setup would be (all in proper working condition, of course), Hafler DH-110 preamp, Hafler DH-500 power amp, 4, original Advent speakers, two per side, stacked. =P~ [-o< =D> :wink:

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 14 Aug 2019 16:53

pivot wrote:
14 Aug 2019 15:19
That refoam looks correct with a "concave" profile. Seen incorrect refoams that can impact performance. Very clean looking rebuild. You did well!

Keep your eye open for a second pair to try "stacking". The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=44881
As I suspected these Advents are a very nice match with my Yamaha CR-2020. I've listened to them with my Pioneer SX-850 and now the CR-2020. The Yamaha opened up the highs a bit which I liked. I haven't listened to them with my Sansui Eight but will probably do that sometime today or tonight. Although I suspect given the sound characteristics of the Eight the highs will be warmer than with the CR-2020. But one never knows until you try it.

As for the stacked Advents, the guy I bought these from has a stacked pair of Advent A-3s. When he found the 2nd pair of A-3s he decided he would sell these ones. I've done some reading on the whole "stacked Advents" phenomenon. Will be doing more, I find it quite interesting.

I read some of your topic about the wiring in a stacked setup. I always thought the most straight forward way would be to hook one pair up to Speaker output A and the other pair to Speaker output B and then use the speaker selector switch, button or knob (as the case may be) to select Speakers A+B. Just as if you were running 4 speakers, 2 for front and 2 for rear, only in this case you would be stacking right and left channels. Since that's how the receiver is designed to drive 4 speakers, I would think that's how the impedance would be more stable once it goes from 8 ohms to 4 Ohms (assuming both pairs are 8 Ohm speakers).

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 14 Aug 2019 21:43

Well as Gomer Pyle would say.....surprise surprise surprise....the Advents sound excellent with my Sansui Eight. I thought for sure they might sound too warm and neutral for my ears with that receiver. Not in the least. They sound warmer than with the Yamaha but with really no drop off in the high end detail.

I've experimented some with speaker placement today as well. I was reading that in small listening areas one good option to avoid bass cancellation is to place the speakers very close to the front wall. This was a quote I read from the article..."As you move your speakers closer to the wall, the cancellation notch in your frequency response moves to higher frequencies. ".

So I tried that hoping they didn't sound boomy and they don't. But the bass definitely sounds fuller from where I am usually sitting to listen. I also experimented with taking them off the stands. (We never had speaker stands in college...lol). I don't hear too much of a difference on the stands or not on the stands. Beginning to wonder if I really need the stands. But I want to see what my Ohm C2s and ADS L730s sound like with and without the stands. Also want to hear what they all sound like with the stands closer to the wall.

Here is how I have the Advents set up right now as I listen while posting this...
Advent5.jpeg
(37.1 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Advent6.jpeg
(35.8 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 14 Aug 2019 22:21

The Allison principle remains valid for all speakers. For best bass balance - least cancellation and smoothest response - woofer center should be as different distances as possible from 3 nearest wall boundaries. Ideal ratios are 1:1.25:1.6. Roy Allison published a paper on this in the 70's.