Need some input - unusual receiver overheating issue

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Need some input - unusual receiver overheating issue

Post by Tinkaroo » 12 Jul 2019 13:19

Yes, I'm sure it must be frustrating! ](*,)

It may need another cleaning, but the second guy should have made sure those buttons were working without issue since that was what he was supposed to fix. Perhaps you should have followed up with him right away.

Whatever the case, it's better than a meltdown and something relatively minor and fixable. That is great news!

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 12 Jul 2019 18:04

Your tech has a different definition of "complete rebuild" then I do. Find a better tech. The last step in complete rebuild should include a run on a distortion analyzer and the purchaser should get a hard copy of the results. As a McIntosh dealer we ran every amp we sold, not just McIntosh, on the bench. I am disappointed current McIntosh dealers are no longer required to have the test bench. With the current software based test gear would seem the hardware investment would be minimal. Sorta shows that the sales staff is at least moderately competent too.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 13 Jul 2019 17:49

Had a friend over yesterday for about a 2 1/2 hour listening session using my friend's Yamaha CR-2020 and the Ohm C2s and then the ADS L730s. We gave it a workout, although I can't get the decibels up TOO much in my condo. But both of my neighbors were gone for a bit so all bets were off : )

The CR-2020 performed flawlessly with no adverse affects, other than the continuing issue with the FM Dolby button and the Audio Muting button.

It's looking more and more like the CR-2020 survived this episode.

Me and my friend also found all the drivers online for the one blown ADS L810 and are expecting all those to arrive sometime this week, and then we will replace the drivers and attempt to bring the ADS L810s back to the land of the living as well.

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 24 Jul 2019 06:55

Update on the ADS L810s that were damaged during this audio adventure. All the drivers had been delivered and I installed them in my friend's cabinets earlier tonight.

The L810s are back and singing......they sounded great with the Sansui G-5500 he just picked up for 200.00.

And my Sansui Eight is in the shop for a few minor items. Although I am also getting a quote on a partial recapping. I expect to have it back by the end of August : )