2 Channel amp to receive hook up

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
jeep1+
United States of America

2 Channel amp to receive hook up

Post by jeep1+ » 17 Jun 2019 12:10

I'm in need of advice. I retired and going back to my vinyl days since time is more available.
I plan to purchase 2 channels Integrated amplifier to listen to my vinyl records as I'm not satisfied with current sound which is coming from 5.1 receiver. My question, Is it possible to connect the 2 channel amp. to the receiver in such a way that when I want to listen to vinyls I just use the 2 channel amp instead receiver where the 6 speakers are connected to right now. Another simple wards, Turntable to 2 Chanel amp to 2 main speakers only by selection, somehow through the 5.1 receiver where speakers are hooked on to, or I would need two sperate systems (not an option). I have a limited knowledge so please explain as you would do to 5th grader. I would appreciate it.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Re: 2 Channel amp to receive hook up

Post by raphaelmabo » 17 Jun 2019 14:40

It depends a bit on the 2 channel amplifier. There are 2 channel amplifiers with special ports for connecting to a 5.1 receiver - this simply lets the receiver acts as the pre-amplifier and decoder and the 2 channel amplifier as a power amp for the front L and R speakers, and the 5.1 receiver drives the centre channel and the rear channels. You simply press a button on the 2 channel amplifier to set it into "home cinema mode", and then press the same button again to disconnect the 5.1 receiver and restore to normal 2 channel operation. For example, Micromega has several 2 channel amplifiers that do this - it's called "processor input". I believe Music Hall has amplifiers that can do this too, and some others. So shop around.

If the 2 channel amp doesn't have a special "processor input" connection, then you may use the tape input/output ports for this. But this won't disconnect the pre-amp in the 2 channel amp, so you get double volume controls, not an ideal solution. But if the 2-channel has an input for only the power amp, then you can choose that one instead. Some 2 channel amps can disconnect the pre-amp and power-amp section, this way you can disconnect the pre-amp and connect the 5.1 to the power amp input in the 2-channel amplifier. It's not as easy as pressing a button to switch, you have to disconnect some cords and connect some other cords, but it can be done.

So, it really depends on the 2 channel amplifier how one does this. The easiest is to choose a 2 channel amp that has a "processor input" or a "home cinema port".

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 17 Jun 2019 14:46

From the Micromega user manual (for IA 60 - IA 100 and IA 180 2-channel amplifiers): "The PRO ON mode allows to use the power amplifier section of your amplifier in combination with an external multi-channel Audio processor."
https://micromega.com/docs/notice_uk_ia60-100-180.pdf

Here you connect the 5.1 receivers pre-out for L and R channels to the PRO IN-input on the 2 channel amplifier. You connect the 2 channel amp to the L and R front speakers, and the 5.1 receiver to the centre and rear-channel and subwoofer.

Some other makers also have this function, but I can't give you a list of them because I haven't done enough research. :) But ask your local retailer for the function.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 17 Jun 2019 16:19

j1+: That surely is possible, but how exactly depends on the capabilities of your equipment.

For example, you could simply hook the front left and right speakers up via a speaker switch, so that that stereo pair can be switched between the speaker outputs of the surround receiver and of the integrated amp. That method would work with practically any surround receiver and integrated amp - but you'd need to purchase that switch, too, and there would be no extra benefits.

Another, but more nifty way would be to use a surround receiver with pre-amp outputs (= pre-outs) in combination with an integrated amp with a "power-amp direct function" or respectively switchable pre-out/main-in loop (like for example a modern Marantz PM8006 or a classic Harman-Kardon PM655). In such a case you could hook the front left and right pre-outs of the surround receiver to the power-amp direct/main inputs of the integrated amp, to which the front left and right speakers remain connected all the time and on which you can decide with a little switch at the front plate, whether its power-amp section is fed by its own pre-amp section or rather an external pre-amp (which in this case would be the pre-amp section of the surround receiver). Advantage: That way the power supply of the surround receiver has more power at hand for the rest of the speakers/channels (*), as the power-amp section of the integrated amp already takes care of the front left and right speakers - and of course you wouldn't need to buy an extra speaker switch. Disadvantage: For surround use both the surround receiver and the integrated amp would have to run, so you have to pay for the possibly better sound quality with a somewhat higher power consumption. And it isn't quite as easy to integrate a subwoofer in such a set-up - or in other words, this kind of set-up is better suited, if one owns proper front left and right speakers, which don't require subwoofer support for stereo use.

And then there'd still be some more ways, but before discussing these, I'd say, it would rather be a good idea for you to tell, what stuff you've already got (with brands & models) - because it doesn't make much sense to cover options you wouln't have in practice, as your particular stuff might happen to not be equipped accordingly. So for now I'll leave it at the two pretty different approaches described above.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

*) This typically is/used to be most beneficial in case of lower-ranking surround receiver models, which not rarely can/could only provide pretty ample power, if only two channels of the power-amp section are/were simultaneously driven (instead of all channels). However, unfortunately in the meantime quite a few lower-ranking surround receiver models already don't offer a full set of pre-outs for all channels anymore - and what also seems pretty much gone on the lower-ranking models is the multitude of analogue audio and video inputs (also including the usual analogue 5.1/7.1/whatever multichannel input), apparently in favour of quite a few HDMI inputs and other modern functions like Bluetooth, network, internet radio and streaming service support. So what one can do also depends a lot on what generation of surround receiver one has at hand...

jeep1+
United States of America

Post by jeep1+ » 17 Jun 2019 16:39

Manfred, thank you so much for the detailed information, as to what I have right now; receiver Yamaha RX-V995 receiver, Pioneer BDP-FD95 Bluray player, with it 2 front main Klipsch Lascala, Rear 2 Klipsch Hersey, Center Klipsch RS 64 and SVS sub. I'm researching possibility of purchasing Yamaha integrated amplifier A-S3000 to use it with the Technics SP-10 MK2 turntable to listen to my vinyl collection and this is what got me trouble :)

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 17 Jun 2019 19:56

j1+: And how big is the room/listening zone or respectively how far away from the front speakers do you sit? And do you typically listen in rather high levels?

In any case, the A-S3000 sports a "main direct" function, and your RX-V995 sports a full set of pre-outs (albeit split into two groups of RCA jacks - i.e., the front left and right outs aren't located right next to the rest of the pre-out channels) - so it's up to you, whether you'd prefer the solution with the speaker (or respectively amp) switch or would rather also want to profit from the new integrated amp in surround use, despite the higher power consumption.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

jeep1+
United States of America

Post by jeep1+ » 18 Jun 2019 12:03

Manfred, Your advice of having Int. amp connection with receiver and benefit from the integrated amp in surround (movie watch) is the option i would like the most despite having both the Amplifier and receiver on. The distance from main, front speakers to my listening location is 12', main speakers are 10' apart. Room is rather narrow and long 12'x18'. One last question, what cable(s) connectors I would need to connect the amplifier and receiver? and watching movies in this set up where and how the Volume will be adjusted? since the main speaker are hooked up to amp and the resto to receiver?
Go Bayern!

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 18 Jun 2019 19:46

j1+: I see - so not exactly a huge room/listening zone. Then I'd think you'd easily get away with the A-S1100 or the aforementioned Marantz PM8006, if you'd like to save a bit, especially considering the high efficiency of your LaScalas.

Well, and regarding the cable, that just takes a regular RCA-to-RCA stereo interconnect of reasonably good quality. My usual ready-made suggestion over here would be the Cordial CFU-x-CC (x = length in metres) - these are well made from decent cable material and terminated with decent Neutrik/Rean NYS373 plugs and reasonably priced. Something in that quality class will do the job just fine, but unfortunately I'm not familiar with the US audio cable market, so I can't simply link you to a close equivalent. Whereas in case you'd prefer to make 'em yourself anyway, I'd suggest to use Mogami W2964 and teminate it with either the Neutrik/Rean NYS373 or the Amphenol ACPR, whichever you like better.

Well, and an integrated amp with some sort of "power-amp direct" function should basically act just like a separate power-amp, as soon as that's activated - so in your case that would mean that the volume during surround use would be controlled by your RX-V995. I.e., the power-amp direct funtion basically separates the power-amp section from the pre-amp section and switches its inputs over to the external power-amp/main inputs instead. So it's basically pretty similar to a conventional, unswitched pre-out/main-in loop, with the jumpers removed and an input selector switch installed at the main-ins instead (and with one branch of that going to the pre-outs of the integrated amp and the other fed by a random external pre-amp (or source with adjustable output level)) - just already conveniently integrated into the integrated amp (and hence also possibly a part of the remote-controllable functions in case of remote-controllable models).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

jeep1+
United States of America

Post by jeep1+ » 19 Jun 2019 18:05

you mentioned the A-S1100 or AS-2100 amplifiers, what is the difference between those two and the A-S3000 only the Power capabilities? maybe I should as you said spend say 1/3rd the money?

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 20 Jun 2019 05:39

j1+: Well, basically compared to the A-S1100 the A-S3000 buys you two extra (pairs of) balanced inputs, a tiny bit more power, frontal MM/MC switching and a headphone volume trim function (presumably intended for the purpose, that one can adjust the headphone output volume a bit, so that it's closer to the output volume of the speakers), the A-S2100 one extra (pair of) balanced inputs, frontal MM/MC switching and again that headphone volume trim function. Personally I'd deem the latter rather superfluous, same for the balanced inputs. And frontal MM/MC switching can be either good or bad - good, if one actually swaps between regular (= high output) MMs & MIs as well as high-output-MCs and regular (= low output) MCs as well as low-output-MMs & -MIs pretty often, and bad, if one doesn't and hence would rather prefer the corresponding switch at the rear, where the cleaning woman or the drunk party guest will less likely interfere with it. ;)

So my guess would be, that the A-S1100 would already do the job just fine for you. While the A-S2100 would only seem advisable, if the frontal MM/MC switching would be really useful for you and/or you'd deem it not unlikely, that you're going buy a source with balanced outputs sooner or later and would then tend to regret having saved some money by "only" having chosen the A-S1100. But I don't think you'd ever have a reason to regret not having chosen the A-S3000.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

jeep1+
United States of America

Post by jeep1+ » 20 Jun 2019 11:54

Influential and logical analysis.
Esthetical details are also very important to me personally, need to mention 2 large analog indicators behind front glass on the A-S3000...love them, but along with two additional balanced inputs and cartridge switch in front is it worth an extra $3000. I'm also looking in to a used A-S3000 as they start to getting less expensive. Finally this will be my last amplifier as I do not want to keep on buying any more of these, and I don't think they could top this one significantly with new ones. Why the A-S3000 is so much more then the other two? yeah, we could speculate on this one forever. Well, I'll sit on the information and opinion provided by you for a while now and will not hurry with the decision...after all the receiver is still working why to buy new amp (my wife is saying), she is more reasonable and calculative, or is she?

jeep1+
United States of America

Post by jeep1+ » 23 Aug 2019 18:40

Well I finally got both Yamahas, the A-S3000 Integrated amplifier and RX-A Receiver. Going through process of learning and setting up. I have a couple of questions, first would be the XLR Stereo (L, R) best connection between them both? Right now I have the coupled through regular Male to Male RCA cable from pre out of the receiver to Amplifier. Question N0.2 is the subwoofer amplifier has balanced XLR terminal and the RX-A receiver has LXR terminals, can I connect my subwoofer's amplifier to my receiver using those XLRs? Right now I have XLR plugged in to sub amp and the other end are 2 RCA coming from Receiver. Please forgive my questions but I just don't know and Owners manual won't say anything about it.