Latest fix for my vintage audio addiction

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Adamo0926
United States of America

Latest fix for my vintage audio addiction

Post by Adamo0926 » 16 Jun 2019 23:01

Just picked up a pair of Ohm C2s. They are in near mint condition. They had been sent back to Ohm to have the driver and crossover upgrades. The walnut cabinets are in beautiful condition. 300.00 for the pair which I think is a bargain given that Ohm did all the upgrades.

My best friend had a pair of these back in college and I loved them back then. I just treated the cabinets with some wood oil and they look even better now. I've yet to listen.....just relaxing a bit first and letting the anticipation build...lol.

I now have 3 pairs of speakers....with the 3 different enclosure designs. The Boston Acoustics HD10s (passive radiator), the ADS L730s (acoustic suspension), and now the Ohm C2s (ported). If this continues I still have electrostatic I could add to the collection, like Martin Logan for instance....though I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Here are a few pictures of these beauties...
Ohm1.jpg
(41.18 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Ohm2.jpg
(48.53 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Ohm3.jpg
(63.73 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Ohm4.jpeg
(54.28 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Ohm5.jpeg
(55.61 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

Jim Leach
United States of America

Re: Latest fix for my vintage audio addiction

Post by Jim Leach » 16 Jun 2019 23:53

Yeah, those are $300 all day long, and twice on Sunday!

Beautiful!

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 17 Jun 2019 01:23

Jim Leach wrote:
16 Jun 2019 23:53
Yeah, those are $300 all day long, and twice on Sunday!

Beautiful!
Yes.....but now I think I may have gotten burned. Just tested the speakers not long ago only to discover that on
one of the speakers there is no output at all from the tweeter and the mid range drivers. I just sent 2 text messages
to the guy I purchased them from and also called. Got no answer when I called and got a message that the user has not
yet set up voicemail. I have also not received a reply from either of my text messages.

I will give him some time to make this right.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 17 Jun 2019 02:05

Maybe open them up and see if a wire is off or there is an internal fuse that’s blown.

I’ve seen unannounced internal fuses in speakers before...

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 17 Jun 2019 16:25

Jim Leach wrote:
17 Jun 2019 02:05
Maybe open them up and see if a wire is off or there is an internal fuse that’s blown.

I’ve seen unannounced internal fuses in speakers before...
I thought about doing that but I have absolutely zero experience working on stuff like that and I don't want to risk
making anything worse. The guy I bought them from works on speakers and electronics and I got a reply from him to my text messages. I'm going to bring him the speaker on Wednesday and he will take a look at it for me.

If it is something minor like you indicated it could be, then he might be able to take care of it while I'm there with the
speaker. In any case he is less than 30 minutes from me so it's pretty convenient to take it back to him for a look see.

He knows what he's doing, while I do not.....lol

Adamo0926
United States of America

Post by Adamo0926 » 26 Jun 2019 16:51

My Ohm C2s are now up and running. It turns out that the two drivers were blown. The guy I bought them from was going to find 2 other drivers online and put them in for me. But I opted to order new drivers directly from Ohm. So I purchased the new updated drivers for both speakers. They already both had the updated woofers from Ohm(goodbye to the paper cone and foam surround).

Well let me tell you, it's been like 35 years since I last heard the C2s and I remember I loved them back then and that goes double today. They are one sweet sounding speaker. The upper mid-range and high frequency detail is stunning. Percussion is fabulous, even at lower listening levels it sounds like drums, cymbals, etc are being hit right from the actual instrument in the room.

My other equivalent speakers that I have are the ADS L730s. The C2s are a bit brighter but they have a 3 position attenuator for both the high and low tweeters (Ohm refers to the mid-range as a low tweeter). I love the versatility these attenuators give the speaker. For brighter recordings you can tone down the brightness without losing any detail. I can do that by setting the low tweeter in the mid or low position and the high tweeter in the high position. That's just one example. You can also use them to breathe new life and detail into a dull or overly warm recording.

Comparing the Ohm C2s to the ADS L730s.....right at this moment I am preferring the C2s, but only by the slimmest of margins. The C2s are a ported design while the L730s are acoustic suspension, so while the bass on the C2 sounds a bit deeper, it's not as defined and as tight as on the L730s. But the detail in acoustic guitars and percussion beats out the L730s by a thin margin. Overall the L730s are a more "refined" sound, if you will. I'd really be hard pressed to choose one over the other.

Let's just say I am gloriously happy with my purchase of the Ohm C2s but still love my L730s.

Hey, there is a reality show called Sister Wives where men have 2 or more wives....so why can't I keep both speakers ? Which I will be doing because neither of these wonderful speakers will be going anywhere anytime soon.

Here is one of the C2s with the updated drivers, although you can really only see the difference in the tweeter from my earlier pictures...
OhmUpdate.jpeg
(58.69 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 01 Jul 2019 14:58

Away from the back wall! [-o< [-o<