Amp always on?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Gravitar8
Canada

Re: Amp always on?

Post by Gravitar8 » 12 Jun 2019 00:34

Standy mode! A great feature imo and ime. And since I was just espousing the benefits of a classic earlly 90's Yamaha AVR (solid phono stage, pre-amp out, excellent DTS and Dolby Digital DSP) I realize 'oh yeah- the Yamaha also has a standby mode when you power down with it turned on'. Just keep getting impressed with this 'old girl' and she's been reliable now for 25+ years!
markcass wrote:
11 Jun 2019 22:22
Hi

I used to keep the amp switched on when I ran a Rotel 820BX2, but it was bought second-hand in the 80s, when "always on" was the Linn/Naim mantra and was widely recommended by hi fi 'sages'.

More recently, I have always put my amp into standby, when available, or just switched it off. I feel this has some advantages in terms of longevity and, perhaps, safety. I haven't noticed any downside.

The Rotel amp never gave any trouble BTW, in spite of being left switched on. It was still working when I gave it to someone whose own amp had failed.

HTH

Mark

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 12 Jun 2019 06:48

Well, open it and if the big capacitors are looking good (no leaks apparent, either recent or old or case deformed) they are fine perhaps. Bear in mind that this is a German made devices and at that time the German capacitor industry ruled the world. So there is a great chance that it is in good shape.
Do not worry, and listen to your music. And turn it off when done ;-)

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 12 Jun 2019 08:45

The "pop" on switch off is the inductive spike in the power transformer as its magnetic field suddenly collapses.

It should be partially suppressed by a small capacitor across the transformer primary winding - the service manual for the amp at hifiengine shows the capacitor as C41. A 62v clamping zener diode on the A+ would eliminate it if it becomes concerning.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 17 Jun 2019 03:37

I used to keep my solid state power amp on all the time, it didn't have an on/off. But with exorbitant power costs, I can't afford to do that any more. It now has an on/off switch, which is used.
The tradeoff is that I now have to wait about 1hr for it to warm up and become musical.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 17 Jun 2019 04:38

For me, this is a well yes, and no question, exactly for reasons already stated here. My listening space is in an insulated but basically unheated former workshop. I utilize space heaters to keep the space above freezing in truly chilly weather. Humidity is a factor for me, so will often turn off the volume control and turn on the amp for a while before calling on it to drive my system later on in the evening for example. Moisture in and on components can be an issue, including leakage and arcing across wires and connectors and the like, and CDs often will not be read correctly when humidity is high. Opening the carriage drawer and powering up the unit usually takes care of this in just a few moments, or until the heaters drive off the moisture. I too am sure there is sometimes a notable difference in sound performance once the unit is warmed up. Similarly, things like belts and bearings will function significantly better once warmed a bit by unloaded running for a few moments. After many, many years of debate, the jury is evidently still out on the cummulative effect on electronics whether the power is left on or off for extended periods. I'm still anticipating a definitive answer sometime in the future. Until then, short warm up periods for me do more good than harm, and the amount of electricity "wasted" is miniscule in the grand scheme of things, overshadowed by air conditioning, refrigeration, wasted lighting, excessive use of washers and dryers, and other appliances. Appreciating some relaxing music a little earlier is critical for helping me get over the stress of those real costs in the electric powered world. Pretty much a six of one, half a dozen of the other scenario. And don't get me started on wasted time, energy and overall efficiency generated by computers and smartphones! Bring on the music! :roll:

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 17 Jun 2019 08:24

aardvarkash10 wrote:
12 Jun 2019 08:45
The "pop" on switch off is the inductive spike in the power transformer as its magnetic field suddenly collapses.

It should be partially suppressed by a small capacitor across the transformer primary winding - the service manual for the amp at hifiengine shows the capacitor as C41. A 62v clamping zener diode on the A+ would eliminate it if it becomes concerning.
Thank you for the explanation, and apologies for the late reply! I will keep monitoring the switch pop, and will have the technician do as you suggested if it becomes concerning.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 17 Jun 2019 08:27

I am not in the mood for wasting power, and I usually unplug everything if I am not home, the refrigerator being the only exception. But where I live, it does not matter much if you unplug everything. I have no idea how they calculate the electricity cost.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 17 Jun 2019 17:55

The amount saved by unplugging most devices is extremely small. This is why it's hardly noticeable.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 17 Jun 2019 20:38

Solist: I'd first suggest to check, whether the capacitor C41 (see schematic in the service manual!), which serves as anti-sparking cap for the power switch is still ok. That might as well be dead already...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Oops, haven't noticed the second page of this thread, before I had replied - so this has already been suggested by aa10 above...