Show Us Your Realistic System/Gear

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Show Us Your Realistic System/Gear

Post by vinyl master » 13 Jun 2019 12:42

You just need a record to christen her off with now! Maybe something by The Realistics? :-k

Speaking of the RD-8100, this guy certainly loves his! I like that record clamp, too! :)

He even did a comparison test with the Marantz...

And yes...the 235 is a very nice addition to the system! Check out some of the features!

You might like this, as well! :D

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 13 Jun 2019 13:06

Thanks for sharing those videos vinyl master! 8)

It's like déjà VU all over again 1978 style!

The guy in the first two videos really loves his early Roy Orbison. The third video was really well made and shows what a great receiver the 235 is and the commercial was nice too since it shows my receiver and speakers.

The only sad note was the guy who made the video was only making $3 an hour which also brings back like memories. :cry:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 15 Jun 2019 10:55

Thanks a lot for planting those earworms from in that first video vinyl master! #-o :lol:

I've had that "Billy Don't Be a Hero" stuck in my head and then this morning they played it on the radio to make matters worse!

On a follow up I got my new headshell and installed the Realistic R47EDT cartridge on my RD-8100 turntable and it sounds beautiful. :mrgreen: Much better than the Excel on the Pioneer headshell did.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 15 Jun 2019 17:11

Tinkaroo wrote:
15 Jun 2019 10:55
Thanks a lot for planting those earworms from in that first video vinyl master! #-o :lol:

I've had that "Billy Don't Be a Hero" stuck in my head and then this morning they played it on the radio to make matters worse!
Yes, but was it the Paper Lace version or the one by Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods? :-k

If you want to hear a great should-have-been hit, check out the Bo Donaldson follow-up...

Tinkaroo wrote:
15 Jun 2019 10:55
On a follow up I got my new headshell and installed the Realistic R47EDT cartridge on my RD-8100 turntable and it sounds beautiful. :mrgreen: Much better than the Excel on the Pioneer headshell did.
Just curious, Tink, but what stylus replacements are you using with that R47EDT? Did you get any from Gary? :-k

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 15 Jun 2019 17:32

It was the Bo Donaldson one and that follow up sounds kinda familiar too.

As far as replacement stylii go it is the same cartridge as a Shure M75ED Type 2. I have some original type 2 stylii I bought from Gary as well as some other good quality ones by Nagaoka etc.. With a bit of plastic surgery I could even use the N91ED stylii on it but it's too purty to do that to! :lol:

I will have to order another headshell to try a different cartridge on it but I am pretty impressed with this turntable. It just goes to prove what you have been saying about not having to spend a fortune for good audio if you use your noodle.

kingpin1935
Wales

Post by kingpin1935 » 20 Jun 2019 12:33

I had a Realistic CD player,ex display bought cheaply from Tandy.I forget the model.It failed after about 15 years and I now have a Marantz CD5003.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 21 Jun 2019 11:23

kingpin1935 wrote:
20 Jun 2019 12:33
I had a Realistic CD player,ex display bought cheaply from Tandy.I forget the model.It failed after about 15 years and I now have a Marantz CD5003.
That sounds like a nice CD player which served you well for quite a long time! =D>

Here is a personal cassette player I have by Realistic.
The SCP-5 is solidly built and features Auto Reverse and Dolby B.
Here it is in their 1988 catalogue:
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/html/1988/h037.html
Realistic SCP-5 1.jpg
(76.45 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Realistic SCP-5 2.jpg
(75.98 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Realistic SCP-5 3.jpg
(102.44 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 21 Jun 2019 19:10

Been reading reviews from the 60's through the 80's of the better Realistic gear. This was some really good, well designed, and, of course, rebadged, stuff. In some cases, you can tell who the oem' were.s

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 22 Jun 2019 11:20

lenjack wrote:
21 Jun 2019 19:10
Been reading reviews from the 60's through the 80's of the better Realistic gear. This was some really good, well designed, and, of course, rebadged, stuff. In some cases, you can tell who the oem' were.s
Yes some of their better stuff was very good indeed, although they are often slagged off by some who haven't ever tried any of it out.

Yes, it is all rebadged or built specifically for them by the likes of Hitachi, Shure, Koss or whomever, but the build quality is very good on some of it. =D>

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 22 Jun 2019 15:53

At least some of the tables were Technics built.

lavellenb
England

Post by lavellenb » 05 Jul 2019 03:50

I was going to ask who were the manufacturers behind the badge because there are some clearly well made gear in the crypt! I remember the portable stuff, but was never aware enough at the time that such stuff was in a hierarchy. I just enjoyed it.

Not only were there a habit of audio companies building stuff for others, or at least creating 'off the shelf' parts, but I believe engineers/designers were keen to lend a hand cross brands as well. There's one fella who comes to mind (though I cannot remember his name, ha) who worked with Creek, Naim, early mission electronics, Cambridge Audio, as well as wrote for DIY magazines et al. A freelancer if you will.

Anyone please feel free to correct me as I go along; I'm here to expand, not bank.

Some of those earlier posts on this thread do have a pioneer ring to them......

Awesome sauce