Budget System Combo questions

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
vintagevinyllover
Great Britain

Re: Budget System Combo questions

Post by vintagevinyllover » 14 Jun 2019 20:51

Try this thread...https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=79790. Gist is, could try and resolder the plug but also consider an entire cable repacement, given soldering at the Tt end. Meanwhile for soldering maybe find a friend?

Pettsvaldo
Great Britain

Post by Pettsvaldo » 14 Jun 2019 21:21

vintagevinyllover wrote:
14 Jun 2019 20:51
Try this thread...https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=79790. Gist is, could try and resolder the plug but also consider an entire cable repacement, given soldering at the Tt end. Meanwhile for soldering maybe find a friend?
OK, suddenly gone from shallow to deep end!

Onward...

vintagevinyllover
Great Britain

Post by vintagevinyllover » 15 Jun 2019 08:02

you might want to ask manfred in munich (lini). He seems to know a lot about Dual decks...

Pettsvaldo
Great Britain

Post by Pettsvaldo » 15 Jun 2019 17:24

Thanks, VVL - I've PM'd him to take a look.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 16 Jun 2019 13:13

Pv: Got your PM - and yup, looks like the signal ground/minus connection has broken. I'd suggest to get rid of these rather shabby plastic RCA/Cinch plugs and replace these with Neutrik/Rean NYS373 or Amphenol ACPR instead.

And sorry, but I'm not aware of any decent RCA/Cinch plugs designed for screwing instead of soldering - but if you don't have a DIY buddy, who could do it for you, as VVL suggested, learning to solder really isn't all too difficult. My suggestion would be to simply grab a couple more of those plugs and a few metres of some suitable coax cable type and practice a bit by making yourself an RCA to RCA interconnect (or maybe an RCA to miniTSR (3.5 mm) adaptor cable for connecting your smartphone or mp3 player to your Rotel - or whatever else you might currently have a use for...).

As for the tool of choice: There are plenty of good, electric soldering irons from brands like Ersa, Weller, Hakko et cetera, and a priceworthy 25 to 30 W model like for example an Ersa 30S will already do for most electronic jobs. Personally I prefer gas-powered models like the Iroda SolderPro 50 or the Portasol ProPiezo 75, though - because these thingies aren't only light, compact and cordless, but also ground-free by principle, adjustable (e.g. 30 to 70 W in case of the SolderPro 50 and 15 to 75 W in case of the ProPiezo 75) as well as also good for other tasks, depending on the tip, like for example working with heat-shrink tubing.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Pettsvaldo
Great Britain

Post by Pettsvaldo » 16 Jun 2019 19:22

Thanks Manfred - that's brilliant detail and has given me a lot to think about.

I will need to develop some new skills, it seems. And that's always a good thing. I'll come back when I start getting knee deep for further advice.

Thanks all.

Kristian

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 16 Jun 2019 22:34

Kristian: You're welcome. And I'd also suggest you to grab a priceworthy digital multimeter for hobby use (e.g. Peaktech 2005), if you haven't got one yet - always good to have one of these for various purposes like for example checking the cables one has made or determining, whether an old cartridge without or with completely broken needle is still worth investing in a replacement needle, et cetera...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Pettsvaldo
Great Britain

Post by Pettsvaldo » 24 Jun 2019 15:06

Hi

I've got my soldering kit and a pair of Rean Neutrik NYS373. So I'm about ready to replace the plugs.

Then I found in my cable cupboard some old Cambridge Audio Arctic Interconnects so I'm thinking it'd make sense to strip one pair of plugs and solder into the back of the Dual, rather than solder the Rean Neutrik plugs onto the Dual cabling.

Is that the better option?

Looks a bit more complex so any advice on how the cabling needs splitting, etc?

(Bear in mind, I have no electrics knowledge whatsoever!)

Pettsvaldo
Great Britain

Post by Pettsvaldo » 24 Jun 2019 16:56

Definitely betraying my ignorance here...

I've stripped the CA Arctics back - there are three layers of wiring. However, the old cables had two wires (per cable) connected into the Dual 505.

Which, if any, of the layers of CA wiring are redundant?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attachments
IMG_20190624_165457.jpg
(153.6 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 24 Jun 2019 23:32

The wire the furthest back is a shield. The other two are signal (center conductor) and ground. Many people connect the shield to ground only at the signals start end. Hence: why some cables have direction markings on them.

Pettsvaldo
Great Britain

Post by Pettsvaldo » 25 Jun 2019 08:08

Hi Joe and thanks for the help

So, which wire attaches to which terminal under the hood of the Dual?

(I warned you I was clueless!)

Thanks in advance

Kristian

vintagevinyllover
Great Britain

Post by vintagevinyllover » 07 Aug 2019 18:16

Was there a happy ending?

Pettsvaldo
Great Britain

Post by Pettsvaldo » 07 Aug 2019 18:45

Hi VVF

A happy ending of sorts but a circuitous journey.

I eventually got the wiring soldered in the Dual and it's working fine now (though I'd win no prizes for how it looks under the hood now).

Once I'd soldered the cable above I discovered it was too short so I had to take it off and start again with another I had (not as good quality, I fear but - hey - it's working!)

Issues still to sort - new stylus, new belt, fix whatever is wrong with my amp (when I plug headphones, it continues to play out of the speakers) and some new LPs. All with f*** all money!

Other than that, it plays and I'm a happy bunny!

vintagevinyllover
Great Britain

Post by vintagevinyllover » 08 Aug 2019 08:14

Good to hear it’s working, ps the headphone thing could just be dirt in the socket, try some solvent on a cotton bud before you take it to bits

Chris_top

Post by Chris_top » 11 Aug 2019 20:07

Hi Pettsvaldo
I think you need to connect your speakers to the B set of terminals on the back, and set the speakers button to b on the front panel, then the speakers should mute when you plug in headphones. The A terminals bypass the headphone circuit for a purer signal, just the way Rotel amps work. An owners manual can be downloaded from Hifiengine