Need suggestions/help finding an integrated amp for Klipsch rp160m's

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Paimondaemon
United States of America

Need suggestions/help finding an integrated amp for Klipsch rp160m's

Post by Paimondaemon » 20 May 2019 18:19

Hello, I need some advice or suggestions finding a nice amp to pair with my RP-160M'S.

Right now I'm currently using an old NAD 7140 that honestly sounds great, however the phono stage stopped working (I use a schiit mani now) and the ports are super scratchy despite using some deoxit which helped briefly. The NAD puts out 40w per channel at 8ohms which, for the klipsch speakers, is more than enough for my room (near field listening, volume never really goes beyond moderate levels). However, I'm not sure how much life is left in my amp and have been wanting to upgrade to something new anyway.

I've looked all over the place and besides the NAD 326 or 316bee (which are sold out online as of right now), I haven't really found suggestions for an integrated that matches well not just in compatibility, but sound signature. My problem is that the 7140 is the only amp I've used in my system since I just got into vinyl around 2 years ago, so it's all I have as a reference point. As of now I'm looking at these amps:

Marantz pm6006
Denon pma800ne
Cambridge cxa60
Rega brio (2017)

I'm open to alternatives however. The brio is about as high as I want to go in price. If I had to pick, I'd say I prefer a sound that is slightly warm over bright. Don't know if this factors in at all but my TT is a planar 3 with a Nagaoka mp110.

KentT
long player
long player

Re: Need suggestions/help finding an integrated amp for Klipsch rp160m's

Post by KentT » 21 May 2019 03:40

Try the Rega Brio, it might be a nice fit, and a very nice amplifier. The Denon I am not thrilled with, the Marantz is meh.

Paimondaemon
United States of America

Post by Paimondaemon » 21 May 2019 03:54

KentT wrote:
21 May 2019 03:40
Try the Rega Brio, it might be a nice fit, and a very nice amplifier. The Denon I am not thrilled with, the Marantz is meh.
What did you find wrong with the Marantz if you don't mind me asking? I've read some things about the mid range getting muddled with the Marantz but I'm not sure how much truth there is to that statement.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 21 May 2019 04:16

Things I disliked about the Marantz, build quality, longevity, reliability (same issues which plagued and still plague Denon). Poor support from D&M Holdings now Sound United, overbright sonics. Older Marantz pre cost cutting I like (USA and Japanese built). NAD now is as reliable or more so than Denon/Marantz/Onkyo/Pioneer made now (all now Sound United brands). NAD sounds better. Rega sounds better, and likely both brands are supported better. Cambridge is worth considering, but too forward/bright for Klipsch speakers. Also consider nicer Yamaha offerings (a more stable company, with the same ownership over many years).

Paimondaemon
United States of America

Post by Paimondaemon » 21 May 2019 04:32

KentT wrote:
21 May 2019 04:16
Cambridge is worth considering, but too forward/bright for Klipsch speakers. Also consider nicer Yamaha offerings (a more stable company, with the same ownership over many years).
Good to know that about the Cambridge. I see it has great reviews but I was worried it would sound a little too bright, even if the RP series tamed the tweeter. I'll look into the Yamahas. Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the brio the more I read about it.