Yamaha A-S1000 Amp - how to transfer vinyl to cd??

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
rebkohayn

Yamaha A-S1000 Amp - how to transfer vinyl to cd??

Post by rebkohayn » 19 May 2019 02:35

My 40 years old Yamaha A-1060 finally went on the blink twice in one year. It's back at the tech again, who previously replaced nearly all the old caps.
The problem is, that integrated amp (140W/Ch) had so much flexibility that I now miss. I transferred scores of old vinyl from the 1960s that I bought in college to cds.
But this new A-S1000, although sound quality is exceptional, has far, far fewer controls than my old A-1060. So far, I am stumped on how I could source vinyl through the phono jacks to be sent to my cd recorder, including how I could even monitor what was being recorded.
Am I right that moving vinyl to cd through this A-S1000 amp just can't be done?
Thanks for any help.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Re: Yamaha A-S1000 Amp - how to transfer vinyl to cd??

Post by lini » 19 May 2019 08:30

rebkohayn: Well, you could still connect your CD recorder via the Line 2 record-outs (which will work for all other source inputs except Line 2, in order to prevent a feedback-loop). However, unlike older Yamahas and just like so many other current preamp, integrated amp and receiver models the A-S1000 (or respectively it's preamp section) neither is a true record-selector design anymore, nor would it sport one or several classic, full-featured tape-loops with monitor function anymore. Hence no more simultaneous confidence monitoring for you - unless you'd do that via headphones, provided your CD recorder model would sport its own headphone-out.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

rebkohayn

Post by rebkohayn » 19 May 2019 17:55

Thank you, Manfred. Yes, my dual tray CD recorder/player has a headphone jack. But I think I will swap out my A-S1000 Yamaha integrated amp for my 40-years-old Yamaha A-1060, which had the dual tape loops and speaker output monitor while I am transferring vinyl to cd. I also have an Onkyo 8190 (100 watts/ch) that I also could use that also has dual tape loops and speaker-produced monitoring.
Which makes me start to think -- after the A-1060 comes back -- whether I should ditch the A-S1000. However, the sound is fabulous from the A-S1000.
I think it is strange that, with the incredible revival of vinyl, that manufacturers are forgoing the ability to easily move vinyl to cd.

rebkohayn

Post by rebkohayn » 19 May 2019 18:08

Manfred, I have thought about your kind response, and, since I am not so smart, I am not sure I still fully understand.
Are you saying that I connect the CD recorder for input of the vinyl signal to the CD jacks? That can't be, because they are play-only output jacks. Or are you implying that I connect the cd recorder to Line 2 for monitoring, and to the input jacks for Line 1 to record? And then monitor the signal through headphones connected to the cd recorder/player jacks? I am confused......

zlartibartfast
United States of America

Post by zlartibartfast » 19 May 2019 19:33

You should be thinking of your CD recorder as a Tape recorder not a CD player. So, the Record (Line) Out from the integrated amplifier (I believe Line 2 was suggested) into your Record (Line) In on the CD recorder. I'm sure you had a similar arrangement with the old integrated amplifier. The real difference here is there is no Monitor Loop on the new amp.

rebkohayn

Post by rebkohayn » 19 May 2019 23:05

And then Record Line Out from the CD Recorder aka tape recorder to the Record Line with the Line 2 jacks? But then how does the phono signal from the phono selector switch setting get to the Record (Line) In on the CD Recorder??