Advice with phono

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Casanova
Scotland

Advice with phono

Post by Casanova » 15 Apr 2019 15:35

Hello everyone.

Hoping for some advice from some more experienced vinyl connoisseurs than myself.

I’ve got a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and a set of Klipsch RP-160M speakers so now all I need is a phono.

I’ve been looking over the last couple days but there seems to be so much choice on my budget range it’s hard to pick.

Outlaw Audio RR 2160 -
Yamaha R-S202 -
Rega Fono MM MK3 -
Cambridge Duo MC/MM -
Arcam rPhono -
Onkyo A-9010 -
Marantz PM6006 UK Edition -
NAD D3020 V2 -

All the above have good reviews so to pick one is hard or maybe there is an even better choice out there?

Also if I go for just a phono amp will I still need to purchase a kind of stereo receiver as well?

My budget is £200-£500 although if there is something that is a little above budget but a lot better end product please still mention it.

I don’t mind buying 2nd hand either if it means a better end product.

Headphone jack as well would be much preferred.

Regards,
Martin

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Advice with phono

Post by jdjohn » 15 Apr 2019 16:51

Hi Martin,

Your list is a mixed bag of receivers, phono preamps, and integrated amps. You need either a receiver/integrated amp with a PHONO input, or separate phono preamp and receiver/amp if no phono input is present.

I have an Outlaw RR-2150, and can highly recommend it or the 2160 as you have listed. These have a PHONO input along with some other very nice features, and they have plenty of power to drive just about any speaker you throw at them.

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 15 Apr 2019 20:37

Yo Casanova:

jdjohn is absolutely right. The Klipsch RP 160M is just a speaker. This means that to get music out of it, you will need an amplifier or a receiver with a phono stage. Just look at the input list on whatever you're considering and be sure that it has an input labeled "phono." Myself, based on conversations with friends, I would recommend the NAD 3020. I would avoid anything labeled Yamaha. I have been connected with 5 Yamaha receivers in my lifetime, and 4 of them have been unreliable. You might also consider a Technics receiver as a budget item. I have one that I inherited from a deceased friend, and it tunes reliably and plays my Lenco L75 with pretty good sound through a small set of slightly modified Dayton Audio BR-1s. (6 1/2 inch woofer).

And good luck from that speaker-cobbling old cheapskate,

Joe Z.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 15 Apr 2019 22:09

keep in mind that a "phone pre amp" and a pre amp for a power amp are two totally different things.

They get connected like this.

phono pre amp > integrated amp > speakers

An integrated contains a pre amp and power amplifier.

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 16 Apr 2019 10:03

The Marantz looks like a winner ... won a few awards and easy to get hold of for £299!

If you have a Richer Sounds nearby you can have a listen too which is always a good thing!