Tuner not picking up all stations

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
tomanter

Tuner not picking up all stations

Post by tomanter » 15 Apr 2019 01:41

I bought a Sony vx 1 receiver 22 watts it works with no crackle but only tunes in the upper band of FM stations. It is perplexing to me. Can anyone help me? the analog dial(string and wheel assembly) seems to be okay with free movement to both ends of the scale. The stations I can pick up are clear and separated. All the other functions work how would I know what was out of adjustment?

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Tuner not picking up all stations

Post by Sunwire » 15 Apr 2019 02:02

What kind of antenna are you using?

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Apr 2019 03:07

Here in the Pacific North West, all the better FM stations will be found clustered between 90 hz and 105 hz. Very little to be found lower, except for some info radio and chat shows. AM tends to cluster lower scales. So possibly nothing more than what the local market for FM listeners in your area provides. Certainly not as common as once was, and good stations much harder to find generally. A good antenna may help bring in stations from farther away, but likely to be in the same range. :)

tomanter

Post by tomanter » 15 Apr 2019 04:17

I am using a plain piece of single strand wire 6 to 10 ft long. The stations I cant pickup are local stations. Also the dial is not in alignment with the station being received. I dont know if the string is slipping or the tuner is partially fried.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 15 Apr 2019 06:07

If you bought it new, I would return it.

But to give it at least a decent chance, use a folded dipole antenna, which can be made pretty easily or bought very inexpensively.
If you have an old pair of "rabbit ears" from a TV, that's even better.

https://sharedreviews.com/article/make- ... fm-antenna

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FM-Dipole-Ante ... Swf0dcrcGH

If using this type of antenna, connect the two ends to the 300 ohm antenna connections on the back of the receiver.
Stretch the "arms" of the T-shape out as far as they will go and point the antenna so the two arms are 90 degrees from the transmitter you are trying to receive.
In other words, if you have a rough idea where the broadcasting tower is, point the antenna so that if you imagine a baseball flying at your antenna from that tower, it would hit the broad side of the "baseball bat" that is your antenna.

The best is to connect to an outdoor antenna placed as high as you can get it and pointed at the stations you want to receive.

DL110luvr
United States of America

Post by DL110luvr » 15 Apr 2019 08:35

tomanter wrote:
15 Apr 2019 01:41
I bought a Sony vx 1 receiver 22 watts it works with no crackle but only tunes in the upper band of FM stations. It is perplexing to me. Can anyone help me? the analog dial(string and wheel assembly) seems to be okay with free movement to both ends of the scale. The stations I can pick up are clear and separated. All the other functions work how would I know what was out of adjustment?
If a previous owner was rough with it and "ham-fisted" the tuning dial, it MAY be out-of-line -- ie., it can't tune the entire length of the band. If the tuner has an older style tuning capacitor (known as an "egg slicer") see if the moving plates are FULLY MESHED when tuning the LOW end of the band and are FULLY UN-MESHED at the top end. If not, you'll need to re-calibrate the dial. Check out YouTube for dial re-stringing tutorials....Good luck!

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 15 Apr 2019 09:10

DL110luvr gave good advice.

I looked for a service manual for your receiver online but couldn't find one.
Once you have taken the cover off and taken a good look inside, you may be able to find a service manual for a similar model on the hifiengine site.
There are LOTS of Sony models.
If you can't find a similar receiver model, try the manual for tuners.

For the quickest solution, I recommend you join the FMTuners Yahoo group.
Try this link:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo

Then search for FMTuners.
The guys there know EVERYTHING about aligning FM tuners and receivers.

tomanter

Post by tomanter » 16 Apr 2019 04:23

Thanks everybody, I appreciate all the tips and tricks
Tom