KLH Model 17

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
brentfordthomas
United States of America

KLH Model 17

Post by brentfordthomas » 22 Feb 2019 19:28

Hi all. I am attempting to do some research on KLH Model 17 speakers as I see some for sale in my area and think they may be a good addition to the setup. I'm currently running a Pioneer PL 518 on a Sansui G5700 with some Klipsch bookshelf reference speakers. I like the idea of having some vintage speakers for look but also some reviews point to these having a welcome sound to any vintage setup.

The asking price is $100 and I think they will come off of that a bit, but is it worth it? Or should I just hold out until a real steal comes along? Thanks!

phivates

Re: KLH Model 17

Post by phivates » 22 Feb 2019 19:44

The Model 17 and its brethren (20, 38) are revered by some in vintage circles. They have fabric surrounds and cone tweeters so two of the usual problems, rotted foam and congealed ferrofluid, don't happen. A fresh tweeter cap and you have a reliable representative of the standard entry level two way from back in the day. Good not great but hey they do not offend and are tough. I better fire up my pair...

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 22 Feb 2019 20:22

Definitely try to get them down on the price. Unless they have been refurbished or are in just immaculate shape, $100 is too steep IMO. As phivates said, they were entry level back in the day, and are good, but not great. Cool vintage look, though, for sure. I've got a pair of Model 20 that need some love.

brentfordthomas
United States of America

Post by brentfordthomas » 22 Feb 2019 21:50

Thanks for insights. I offered him $60, they do seem to be in pretty great condition and he claims they are plug and play ready. That could be worth something, but I'm not too sure I want to pay much more than that for them.

phivates

Post by phivates » 22 Feb 2019 23:48

Yeah I would rather find some refoamed Smaller Advents for that money, or any number of other choices from back then. One that surprised me was the Boston A-120, which has a 7" bass-mid and dome tweeter plus a 10" passive radiator. Look for ADS. Again, no foam to wrestle with and maybe, like Polk, film caps in the crossover. Lots of good stuff out there

MoPho
United States of America

Post by MoPho » 24 Feb 2019 15:18

I have a pair! Thinking about selling. I re-doped the surrounds. Tweeters and midrange are great. If you buy these, you will definitely need a subwoofer as they do not go low enough. But in a 2:1 set-up, you should be happy.

Nnicola
United States of America

Post by Nnicola » 02 Mar 2019 06:43

I owned a set of KLH Model 20's years ago and still wished I had them. The Model 20 was the 4 ohm version of the Model 17 speaker.

You should definitely recap them if that was not done by the previous owner. I've read some conflicting things on automatically recapping vintage speakers, but KLH speakers are the exception. They used a type of capacitor that did not last.

The cloth woofers may need to be redoped, but that's much easier than refoaming paper woofers. Cloth woofers should last forever.

If the cabinets are airtight and your amp has sufficient power you should get decent bass response from the Model 17's. I don't think you'll need subwoofers unless you are looking for home theater type bass.

KLH Model 17's weren't very expensive and were not considered "high end" back in the 1970's. That said, Henry Kloss always delivered a product that sounded a great deal better than the price, and that holds true for the Model 17 speaker.

brentfordthomas
United States of America

Post by brentfordthomas » 14 Mar 2019 20:43

Update everyone (sorry for the delay). He would not come off the price at all, probably why they are still listed for sale. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for the ones you all mentioned on this thread. Thanks for the feedback!