Speaker/amp advice?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
ChrisLovesRock
United States of America

Speaker/amp advice?

Post by ChrisLovesRock » 22 Feb 2019 03:24

My folks and I are planning on upgrading from my headphones and clock radio to full-fledged speakers and an amp. I'm planning on getting either the Klipsch R820F or the 620F.

I was looking at a dirt-cheap vintage Denon integrated amp from 1995, but eBay says the sale has ended. Ditto a vintage A-7 that would have been $300.

I'm willing to buy new, used, or vintage, as long as the price and quality suit my needs. Our budget will probably be <$400, probably $300.

I've found two that look interesting:

Onkyo A-8067

Onkyo A-9010

820 specs:

600W peak (150 RMS)
Dual 8-inch woofers
1" tweeter
Two-way
35Hz - 21kHz
97db sensitivity
8 ohms impedance

620 specs:

400W peak (100 RMS)
Dual 6 1/2" woofers
1" tweeter
Two-way
38Hz - 21kHz
96db sensitivity
8 ohms impedance

I'm happy with either speaker. As per the current sale (ends Saturday), the 620 (not part of the sale) is $80 more. Again, I'm not 100 percent certain of my budget, but <$400 is a good estimate. Would any of these be a good combination? How much power do I need? My headphones are similarly efficient and are pretty easy to drive. My cheap computer speakers, on the other hand, take more effort. I have other headphones that are almost impossible to drive.

Both speakers are on backorder at Klipsch.com, only 1 820 is left at Best Buy, and Crutchfield is expecting any until March. eBay has the 820, though, for $250, and the 620 for $149.99.

Thanks in advance.

hobie1dog
United States of America

Re: Speaker/amp advice?

Post by hobie1dog » 22 Feb 2019 04:13

I personally would go with the 820's as you will have a more full bottom end and better mid bass.

ChrisLovesRock
United States of America

Post by ChrisLovesRock » 23 Feb 2019 01:35

Now, I'm look at the Onkyo 7070. Any opinions? Would this be a good match for Klipsch 820s?

ChrisLovesRock
United States of America

Post by ChrisLovesRock » 23 Feb 2019 08:01

After much deliberation and research, I think I've settled on the 7090.

Thank you for your help.

ChrisLovesRock
United States of America

Post by ChrisLovesRock » 26 Feb 2019 11:12

Change of plans. Ugh.

The sale ended, the 820 is back to its regular price, and it's on backorder. Now out of my price range. I'm looking at the R-28F on eBay for $250, and it's virtually identical, at least in terms of performance.

The Onkyo 7090 is "local pickup only" in South Carolina. (I'm in Colorado.) (Not to mention, the terminals appear to be proprietary and/or won't take banana plugs.) I found this Pioneer A10AE on eBay for a reasonable price. It seems like a nice, no BS amplifier.

My concern is that it's 30wpc @ 8 ohms. Is this enough power for my proposed setup, or does the wild goose chase continue? Or should I move up to the A50DA, which delivers 65wpc @ 8 ohms?

Thanks again.

Edit: Too expensive. I'm stumped.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 26 Feb 2019 13:47

ChrisLovesRock wrote:
26 Feb 2019 11:12
Change of plans. Ugh.

I found this Pioneer A10AE on eBay for a reasonable price. It seems like a nice, no BS amplifier.

My concern is that it's 30wpc @ 8 ohms. Is this enough power for my proposed setup, or does the wild goose chase continue? Or should I move up to the A50DA, which delivers 65wpc @ 8 ohms?

Thanks again.

Edit: Too expensive. I'm stumped.
The thumb rule for speakers to amp match is a sensitivity to power thing. So low sensitive speakers >80 dB and about will prefer high powered amp >100 Watts and about. High sensitive speakers <120 dB and about will run loud enough with low powered amp <40 Watts and about. Now that is for the general consensus in good audio practice.

About your amp and speakers quest, I'd strongly suggest you to hear them even separately before you try to purchase them down. Even if this should prove more enduring. Depending what music you are mainly playing, on what format/support and the room and it's acoustic, different amp and speakers should make a better match than others.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 26 Feb 2019 17:00

I also strongly suggest auditioning Klipsch speakers before purchase. I feel they are too bright for my taste. Coupled with a Japanese solid state amp, I think they would be far too bright. (I feel Klipsch pair well with tube amplifiers better)

How large is the room you are trying to fill with sound? Is it a "soft" room (lots of furniture, carpets and drapes) or a hard room (wood floor, bare and open)? I can tell you from experience, Klipsch horn-loaded speakers in a hard room with a solid state amp is going to sound harsh.

Then, how loud do you want it?

So, room size, room treatments (if any) and how loud.

Then are you going to be seated, in an "ideal" listening position ("critical listening") or do you want something more dynamic, that fills the room with sound? I prefer the latter. Although the sweet spot is particularly sweet, from other rooms of the house, it sounds as if the band is playing in the room where the rig is set up. I like that.

If you will be critical listening, electrostatics are the winner hands down. But, move your head a few inches from ideal position, and the sound drops off substantially. But in that zone... WOW.

I found my Thiels deliver what I want my system to do. But I also have massive amounts of power behind them for the transients- my amps NEVER have to strain. I always suggest more power than you think you'll need. Just don't turn it up as far.

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 27 Feb 2019 21:54

Perhaps you should consider accessories4less. They have factory reconditioned gear with a full factory warranty for very reasonable prices.

As someone who uses electrostatics (Acoustats) and Magnepans I must say that the sweet spot is not nearly as small as Jim Leach says.

FWIW: I've been using panel speakers (esl, Magnepan) exclusively since 1976.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 27 Feb 2019 22:57

Yeah, I'm probably exaggerating it bit but it was a profound experience when i auditioned those speakers...

ChrisLovesRock
United States of America

Post by ChrisLovesRock » 08 Mar 2019 13:51

Latest update: We're aiming for this weekend on purchasing speakers.

I have decided on:*

Plan A: Klipsch R-820F ($324 via Klipch.com [backorder]; $412.29 via eBay) (eBay lists "Speakers" plural. This means a pair, right?)
Plan B: Klipsch R-28F ($279.99 via eBay) (Sold as individual speakers)

Yamaha S301 ($249.99 on eBay; $269.99 on Accessories4Less)

*Depending on what Klipsch wants to do / eBay wants to do / $$$ / how the planets want to align. :lol:

Thanks to everybody for all your help. :)

TudorTurtle
United States of America

Post by TudorTurtle » 08 Mar 2019 14:14

I think you have good choices for the cost/quality and will be very happy with the system. The amp has a SW out connection, so that is an easy add, off in the future.