Amplifier and speaker recommendations wanted

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
levitate
Great Britain

Amplifier and speaker recommendations wanted

Post by levitate » 18 Jan 2019 14:57

Hi all,

I'm putting together a turntable setup for the spare room in my flat. I've recently picked up a Thorens TD166 MK V TT with an AT95E cartridge, and now I'm looking for some recommendations on an amplifier/receiver and speakers to match up with it.

The room is only a small box room, about 8.5 ft by 8ft, and my budget for the amp is about £200-£250, the same goes for the speakers. I don't mind buying vintage equipment either, as if I can get a lot more for my money going the vintage route then that's fine by me (eg. what would have been a high/top end piece of equipment going back a number of years).

Looking for any recommendations, tips and help on where to go from here.

Thanks in advance.

Levitate

hobie1dog
United States of America

Re: Amplifier and speaker recommendations wanted

Post by hobie1dog » 18 Jan 2019 16:16

A used NAD unit would be my first suggestion. Speakers? .....where do I even start, with hundreds of choices, with your limited budget, buy used speakers, more speaker for your dollar that way. Bookshelf, floorstanding, you just need to look around and see what is available in your area at a good price, but with the small size of your room, lots of speakers will fill it up with great sound. PSB, Mirage......but I would get something with great bass so that you won't need a subwoofer, as no audiophile can ever ignore the importance of bass.

levitate
Great Britain

Post by levitate » 18 Jan 2019 22:54

Thank you for the recommendation, I appreciate it.

I've been doing a bit of research myself and am considering a Mission Cyrus One/Two or a vintage Sansui amp.

Which would be the better option there? Especially with regards to Sansui, as there seem to be so many options within my £250 limit that I don't really know what to go for.

With regards to speakers, I'm looking at either a pair of Mission 770 or Epos ES11.

Davids_CA
United States of America

Post by Davids_CA » 19 Jan 2019 00:11

I'm really happy with my ADS speakers - L780 series 2 at home and L300c's at work. They are older, so they tend to be affordable, and I'm really happy with both of them. I picked up a Luxman R-115 back in the summer for $100 in near perfect condition. The L780's and R-115 make a great combination that's quite affordable.

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 19 Jan 2019 12:42

A Mission / Mission combo would be my choice! ...

I seem to remember Missions Henry Azima designed all his components to play together nicely! ... gotta be a load of good system synergy going on there!

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 19 Jan 2019 20:14

With any speaker purchase try to arrange for an audition before buying.

Rahuul
India

Post by Rahuul » 23 Jan 2019 05:27

I recommended the Cambridge Am10 to a friend recently and he is extremely happy. This is quite inexpensive, has a nice built in phono stage and puts put 35 watts which should be more than adequate for your room. He is using it with Wharfedale 9.2 speakers and they are an excellent combination. I think there is an AM5 model which is slightly less powerful and a little cheaper as well. All of the above should be well within your budget. The Speakers have been replaced with newer models which should also work fine...