Adding a giant subwoofer

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
jc_the_trucker

Adding a giant subwoofer

Post by jc_the_trucker » 03 Aug 2018 20:59

I know, heresy to some. However I have the opportunity to purchase an SVS subwoofer from my dad at a darn reasonable price. I could have bought it off him a lot sooner, but I couldn’t think up a way to hook it into my system since I really don’t want to spend money on a pre-amp any time soon. So as I was driving across Oklahoma today the thought randomly popped into my head that all I would really need is a crossover that has rca jacks for its ins and outs. Having googled, I found this little guy that seems like it would fit the bill:

https://www.parts-express.com/rolls-sx4 ... mpaign=pla

My question is, has anyone had experience with that particular device? Could anyone recommend something similar at around the same price point that might do the job better? Am I absolutely insane for wanting a 1000 watt 12 inch sub in my system?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Adding a giant subwoofer

Post by Alec124c41 » 04 Aug 2018 05:03

The more speakers, the merrier. ;)
We both know that you will never use 1000 watts of power, but that headroom should deliver impressive transient peaks.
That device should work. You could hook it into a tape loop, if you have one, or pre-out/main-in.

Cheers,
Alec

Budddhacide

Post by Budddhacide » 04 Aug 2018 05:19

I wouldn't be without one. I just had to replace mine actually.

jc_the_trucker

Post by jc_the_trucker » 04 Aug 2018 16:17

Cool! Thanks for the Help guys! I was going to get the sub in some kind of way whether others like subs or not! :lol: I'll order that at some point and I'll have something new, well I guess more like 12 years old, to play with when I get home!

I had planned to put it between the the stepped attenuator on the tape out of my yamaha receiver, then the outs would go to the sub and the st-70. But now I'm debating getting a more modern preamp too (nothing expensive enough to have it's own sub out and crossover control); I really want a remote control for volume. I'm sure I can figure that part out. Laziness is the American way after all.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 05 Aug 2018 18:08

SVS subwoofer is good candidate for integration into 2 ch system. Especially when involving separate preamp along with sub hipass feature.

This approach involve connecting preamp output into line level inputs of sub, and taking advantage of SVS 80 hz hipass feature. SVS outputs then connect into ST70 inputs. Sub volume and amp volume are having common control and will vary in tandem. As sub is uniquely assigned lowest frequency range negative interaction with main speakers are mitigated. Another benefit is power demand to main speakers are reduced since low bass is demanding highest power. It is variation on bi-amping principle. With this arrangement SS amp in sub handle lowest freq's, whereas tubes only deal with higher ranges where power demands are lower. Good bass integration and overall more expansive sound are standard outcomes IME.

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 05 Aug 2018 19:09

Alec124c41 wrote:The more speakers, the merrier. ;)
We both know that you will never use 1000 watts of power, but that headroom should deliver impressive transient peaks.
That device should work. You could hook it into a tape loop, if you have one, or pre-out/main-in.

Cheers,
Alec
I would not hook a subwoofer to a tape loop because the output level on a tape loop is fixed. Ideally you want to use an output that varies with the position of the volume control Otherwise every time you change the main volume you have to separately re-adjust the level on the subwoofer. Bear in mind that a properly adjusted and connected subwoofer should need no further adjustment once you have dialed it in.

Using pre out jacks or speaker level connections will solve this problem.

jc_the_trucker

Post by jc_the_trucker » 05 Aug 2018 22:45

Good info guys. The crossover is ordered. I was reading the manual for it and it appears to have level controls for input as well as output, so theoretically it can be used from a tape out directly. I'll experiment with it and see what I think, I can live without a remote a while longer.

As far as running into the svs and using is crossover, then out to the st70, I'm not sure that's possible on this model. It's an older, discontinued model and I haven't looked at the back of it in years. I know when my dad had it in his home theater, the onkyo receiver was doing the crossover work. All I know is that it's in perfect shape, and a heck of a lot cheaper than it would be new.

I will report back when I get it all set up. Should be a couple of weeks.

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 06 Aug 2018 01:59

It doesn't make any difference whether the crossover has level controls or not. Well, actually it does. However, those adjustments are in the set once and forget category.

You want the subwoofer's level to automatically track the overall level. This will not happen if you use a tape or external processor loop. The output signal level on any tape/processor loop is fixed and does not track the volume control. You need either preamp level outputs or speaker level outputs depending on you gear and the subwoofer.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 06 Aug 2018 14:44

For greatest satisfaction, the means to crossover your left and right channel low frequency drivers at about 60Hz will assure sub's proper integration. Interestingly enough, for most genres of music recorded to vinyl there's not enough subwoofer content to make the sub useful. In other words, when engaged the music is not effected by the sub's presence. I have a JBL B-380 powered with a 560 watt amp. It adds dimension to some music on CD but rarely from vinyl.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 07 Aug 2018 04:30

Sterling1 wrote:For greatest satisfaction, the means to crossover your left and right channel low frequency drivers at about 60Hz will assure sub's proper integration. Interestingly enough, for most genres of music recorded to vinyl there's not enough subwoofer content to make the sub useful. In other words, when engaged the music is not effected by the sub's presence. I have a JBL B-380 powered with a 560 watt amp. It adds dimension to some music on CD but rarely from vinyl.
Sterling, you need some better vinyl. ;)

Cheers,
Alec

jc_the_trucker

Post by jc_the_trucker » 07 Aug 2018 05:03

LOL, sorta thought the same thing! I find that to be true though for most rock and roll albums. You’ll get some extra bass drum, but not much else. Although most orchestral records, and nearly all edm records can get a lot from a sub. May even see some extra bass fiddle in a bluegrass record. Just my experience.

Frankly, I’ve never really felt the need for a sub with my current setup. My speakers supposedly reach as low as 37 hz. Athough I haven’t got the equipment to measure this, so I just have to trust the specs. They have plenty of bass authority as is. However the reasons mentioned in above posts for having a sub are compelling.

I probably wouldn’t go for it except that pops was gonna sell the thing anyway. The whole WAF issue. Better in my system than someone else’s right?

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 07 Aug 2018 10:55

Alec124c41 wrote:
Sterling1 wrote:For greatest satisfaction, the means to crossover your left and right channel low frequency drivers at about 60Hz will assure sub's proper integration. Interestingly enough, for most genres of music recorded to vinyl there's not enough subwoofer content to make the sub useful. In other words, when engaged the music is not effected by the sub's presence. I have a JBL B-380 powered with a 560 watt amp. It adds dimension to some music on CD but rarely from vinyl.
Sterling, you need some better vinyl. ;)

Cheers,
Alec
Well, I'm certain I do indeed need better vinyl, in all manner that better can be discerned. I'd also welcome suggestions. Now, I just can't get enough dance music, the kind that makes ya want to get up and shuffle dance. This music is rich with synthesized bass, bass like I've never encountered from an LP. I usually satisfy my desire this sort of music through Apple Music or CD's.

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 07 Aug 2018 20:24

If you want bass from vinyl try some 12" DJ singles.

jc_the_trucker

Post by jc_the_trucker » 07 Aug 2018 20:44

JoeE SP9 wrote:If you want bass from vinyl try some 12" DJ singles.
Bingo.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 07 Aug 2018 23:19

The electric bass hits about 43 Hz, sometimes 37.

Cheers,
Alec