amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: Sub woofer and Bass crosover in HZ

Post by JDJX » 11 Dec 2018 03:11

FWIW.. I bought a pair of L-100 new in the '70s.
I paid $250 each for them... lot of money back then but, well worth it .
Interestingly some thought they were slightly bass heavy... probably due more to how they were positioned in their environment .
So, many just increased the volume slightly on the mid range driver and they sounded amazing .

BTW, they were driven by a Heathkit 1640 amp and Heathkit pre amp.
I even had a Heathkir 5 band EQ whic was a matched companion piece for the pre amp
I also had a Thorens 145 .... eventually with a Shure V-15 type IV.
It was a great system of course from an era when you built a system, there were times when you actually did build it for the most part . :)

I actually still have the meter that came with the 1640 amp....to be built first and used to check things as you built the amp
Somehow, against all odds, I manged to hold on to is all these years.
It still works perfectly after 45 years and I still use it occasionally.... like for a quick battery check and continuity tests ... instead of my modern multi meter. :)
319metxxxx.jpg
(69.08 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 13 Dec 2018 18:59

Sterling1 wrote:
09 Dec 2018 17:37
fscl wrote:
09 Dec 2018 15:20
An aside here, since I cannot find topic (locked ?) "How Low Does Your Source Material Go"

Thought this might be interesting, have not tried to play this through the main system with sub yet:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/07/scie ... ounds.html

Fred
I could barely discern, my sub only goes down to 24 Hz. But, kind of neat hearing sounds literally out of this world, what little I could hear.
Finally =D> =D> =D>

Otherworldly is right :shock: not quite what I call sound as in music, but definitely there :shock: Lower than any note on the organ and more like a modern movie soundtrack special effect....... :shock:

Like posts / experiences above, my sub is basically "not there" not audible when playing music, however movement of the InSight probe seismic sensors by the Martian wind is pretty impressive and I found myself playing the 20sec clip over and over again....... =D> =D> =D> Talk about the ability of "music" time / location teleportation....... :shock: =D>

I've hooked the 4 - 2.0 stacked speakers in series through the 0.1 powered sub, for minimal setup / playback fuss. Will need a mirror to see the crossover setting (can't remember) and have the level set to no more than 1/4 turn, if that much. :-k

FWIU, the trend in subs is for smaller and faster acting woofers so bass is nice and tight. Still wondering if size does matter in cases like this. Does the diameter make my sub sound flabby..... [-X [-o< :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy reproducing those low notes and dancing at the bottom end...... :)

JDJX, love the meter ^ =D> =D> =D>

Fred

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 13 Dec 2018 19:36

FWIU, the trend in subs is for smaller and faster acting woofers so bass is nice and tight. Still wondering if size does matter in cases like this. Does the diameter make my sub sound flabby.....
[/quote]

The answer is NO, size has nothing to do with it as you will read about it in this article written by the grand master of subwoofer designers Dan Wiggins:

http://web.archive.org/web/200404032057 ... _speed.htm

Everyone on here should read this.

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 14 Dec 2018 12:12

hobie1dog wrote:
13 Dec 2018 19:36
FWIU, the trend in subs is for smaller and faster acting woofers so bass is nice and tight. Still wondering if size does matter in cases like this. Does the diameter make my sub sound flabby.....
[/quote] Over all, size does matter. It's clear, as the size of the venue increases so does the need for sound reinforcement, through size and quanity. 15 inch and 18 inch subs still rule for a multitude of reasons when the lowest bass at proper volume is desired from larger listening rooms. www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-b ... ZFxjohttps:// www.jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/s2s-ex.html

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 14 Dec 2018 15:24

Sterling1 wrote:
14 Dec 2018 12:12
fscl wrote:
Over all, size does matter. It's clear, as the size of the venue increases so does the need for sound reinforcement, through size and quanity. 15 inch and 18 inch subs still rule for a multitude of reasons when the lowest bass at proper volume is desired from larger listening rooms. www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-b ... ZFxjohttps:// www.jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/s2s-ex.html
[/quote]

I was addressing the question that "fscl" made on sound quality in relationship to the size of the driver, not spl as you are referring to.

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 08 Jan 2019 20:21

As I stated before, I've got my left/right amp output going into my sub woofer and then out to my speakers.
Using the adjustable crossover on the sub to dial in where my speakers are lacking in bass.

Which got me thinking,
If the speakers are 8 ohms each and the sub is stated at 1.2kohms, what exactly is the ohms draw on my amplifier?

The sub woofer manual just states it is of no concern and will not adversely affect the amp output drivers.

How is this possible?

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 08 Jan 2019 23:45

hobie1dog wrote:
14 Dec 2018 15:24
Sterling1 wrote:
fscl wrote:
Over all, size does matter. It's clear, as the size of the venue increases so does the need for sound reinforcement, through size and quanity. 15 inch and 18 inch subs still rule for a multitude of reasons when the lowest bass at proper volume is desired from larger listening rooms. www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-b ... ZFxjohttps:// www.jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/s2s-ex.html
I was addressing the question that "fscl" made on sound quality in relationship to the size of the driver, not spl as you are referring to.
[/quote] One quality is SPL.

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 09 Jan 2019 21:32

Sterling1 wrote:
08 Jan 2019 23:45
hobie1dog wrote:
14 Dec 2018 15:24
Sterling1 wrote:

One quality is SPL.
[/quote]
But he is not concerned with spl according to his question so that is not relevant here.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 09 Jan 2019 22:40

noisefreq wrote:
08 Jan 2019 20:21
As I stated before, I've got my left/right amp output going into my sub woofer and then out to my speakers.
Using the adjustable crossover on the sub to dial in where my speakers are lacking in bass.

Which got me thinking,
If the speakers are 8 ohms each and the sub is stated at 1.2kohms, what exactly is the ohms draw on my amplifier?

The sub woofer manual just states it is of no concern and will not adversely affect the amp output drivers.

How is this possible?

What it means is that the high impedance load the sub presents to the amplifier has no real effect on the power output.