the home of the turntable

Magnaplaner speakers

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers

Magnaplaner speakers

Postby mgl99 » 21 Apr 2018 06:47

I purchased a pair of Magnaplaner speakers about 15 years ago. Sorry to say that I haven't yet set them up. They are safely stored and I am committed to getting them out and hooking them up this summer. You might think "Who would buy a set of speakers and then not hook them up and use them?" Well . . . .me I guess. I finally have a place for them and to tell the truth, I've been enjoying other speaker systems I have and hadn't given them a thought for quite awhile. Anyway, does anyone have first hand listening experience with a pair of them? If so, how would you rank their sound and performance.
mgl99

United States of America

Re: Magnaplaner speakers

Postby katana1100 » 21 Apr 2018 22:22

To add what I said in another thread, they are a speaker you have to listen in a sweet spot. Moving out of it , they will sound flat and weak, in the sweet spot, very detailed and 3d like.
Don’t be surprised if they need a little work as they usually do over time. A lot of people love them
and you can find info on the net to fix them.Every now and then, a pair comes up for sale in my area, the only thing keeping me from buy them is a wife who says I can only own one pair of large ugly speakers.
katana1100

Postby jdjohn » 22 Apr 2018 00:06

I agree with katana on how they sound and the necessity of the sweet spot listening position. I will add that using a sub-woofer is almost a necessity as well, but it may depend on the type of music being played.
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby katana1100 » 22 Apr 2018 03:01

Here’s a way to adjust if you have a home theater receiver laying around with room correction.
1) hook up that receiver to the speakers. If it can’t drive them, use it as a preamp.
2) run the room correction
3) right down the adjustments it made. Pay close attention to high and low ranges!
Write down the adjustments
Move your speakers inward an equal distance , repeat calibration. Look at adjustment screen. If it adjusted more, then your going the wrong way, try inward more.
! The goal is for no band to be adjusted more than 3db!! You might need to do stuff like put a rug on wall to Help things out.
Once you have them optimized, remove the receiver , banish it back to that shelf in the garage.

Although I have esl speakers, I think setup is similar for Maggie’s . Get them dialed in, room treat if necessary. Keep them at least 3’ away from walls. It is possible that you won’t need a sub if everything is dialed in just
right.
My current method- my 24 daughter has excellent hearing. I run just one speaker with music , she sits in sweet
spot and while I slowly turn speaker , she says “better” or “ getting worse”.
katana1100

Postby mgl99 » 22 Apr 2018 08:50

I appreciate the advice and I definitely will spend the time to get them dialed in to a listening position. I built my own audio sub using a monitor audio sub amp I got from a friend. I used a Polk Eosone 10" subwoofer driver. I've got probably 10 or 12 subs. I'm using 4 of them in my home theater set up. Anyway, if I need it, I've got it to use with the Magnaplanners. I'm looking forward to trying things out. Interesting that you said they need maintenance once in awhile. Since they've been boxed up all these years, do you think they have deteriorated in the box?
mgl99

United States of America

Postby katana1100 » 22 Apr 2018 17:07

I honestly don’t know. Try visiting this site for more info:
http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/
katana1100

Postby JoeE SP9 » 22 Apr 2018 20:57

I'm a Magnepan owner and have been so on and off since buying a pair of MG-1's in 1976. MG1's, MG-2's and MG-3A's have passed through my room. When I wasn't using Magnepans I was using Acoustat ESL's. Currently a pair of 1.7's is in residence in my room.

Yes, it may seem as if the sweet spot is very small. IME it's wide enough for two people. However, IMO if your not in the sweet spot you're probably doing something else while music is playing anyway. IOW the music is background. If so, who cares that it doesn't sound as good as the sweet spot?

As for bass response; IME MMG's and SMG's have bass response equal to small bookshelf speakers. This for me is inadequate no matter what kind of speakers they are. However, bear in mind "Maggie" bass does not sound like bass from a box. My current 1.7's have "adequate" bass. However, I supplement them with a pair of TL subs. It's entirely possible that Magnepans without assisted bass produce enough bass for you. This is something only the listener can determine.

The lower height of MMG's and SMG's requires a reasonable listening distance (they are tilted back slightly for better high frequency dispersion). The 1.7's and larger are taller so standing up when close doesn't have such an audible difference. Maggie models from 3.7's up have a 50" long true ribbon tweeter that some consider to be among the best tweeters ever made.

The only caveat I have is that they need a minimum distance of ~3' from the front wall. You should have minimal damping on that wall. A mix of dispersion and absorption IME works best. These positioning suggestions apply to all planar speakers.

You'll either like or dislike the sound of Magnepans. There seems to be no middle ground. Obviously I like their sound. FWIW: I listen to mostly Jazz and classical with a smattering of everything but Bluegrass and Gospel/religious music. If you're a rock fan who likes it concert level loud I suggest you listen elsewhere for speakers.

With older Magnepans the glue holding the wires to the diaphragm tends to degrade when exposed to UV light. Maggies that have been boxed up most likely haven't been exposed to UV light. Try them and decide for yourself.
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby jdjohn » 22 Apr 2018 21:32

@JoeE_SP9, wouldn't you also say that Maggies require lots of power? Aren't most (all?) of their speakers 4 or 6 ohm? I would venture to say that a solid state amp with at least 100WPC of continuous power is necessary...probably more to get the best sound out of the Maggies. A tube amp would be a different situation.
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby jdjohn » 23 Apr 2018 03:42

For reference, here's a link to a thread where some of us had to repair old Maggies: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=96179&hilit=maggies
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby katana1100 » 23 Apr 2018 04:46

I wouldnt get too hung up on their power needs as you can find used amps cheap that could drive them. For example, I picked up hafler xl280 off of cl for $140 ( i think its 145wpc) and it can play into 2 ohms, I bet it would be fine with Maggie’s, if I ever get a set, it will get tapped to drive them. I’m sure Maggie owners can give recommendations on good cheap used amps.
katana1100

Postby mgl99 » 23 Apr 2018 04:50

You mentioned the 3a model and if memory serves that is what mine are. As far as the "socks" are concerned, I know that they are removable, but how would a person best wash them in order to avoid damage? Can new ones be obtained or even made? My wife is very adept at sewing etc. With the right material, I would think a person could make new ones if necessary. But of course there is the concern; the right material. I will most likely add a subwoofer in parallel at the amp outputs using the sub line inputs.
mgl99

United States of America

Postby mgl99 » 23 Apr 2018 04:51

What is "cl"?
mgl99

United States of America

Postby ammarmariti » 23 Apr 2018 05:33

Craigslist.
ammarmariti

Malaysia

Postby mgl99 » 23 Apr 2018 07:54

How about this one to power the maggies? Ebay item number 132309281650.
mgl99

United States of America

Postby katana1100 » 23 Apr 2018 15:30

I’d hold off on buying anything until you unbox them and hook them up to the pioneer amp you already have.
katana1100

Next

Return to Amplifiers and Loudspeakers