Vintage speakers

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
mgl99

Re: Vintage speakers

Post by mgl99 » 21 Apr 2018 07:46

I appreciate the input guys. I think I might try my Pioneer 9500II integrated amp to power them and see how they do, that is when I finally get them down and set up. I don't necessarily want crazy high volume since I don't really listen to music that way. I'm just hoping they are detailed and can produce the bass as well as the ribbons probably do on the high end. In other words, I would hope that they present a good listening sound stage. I have several nice Marantz receivers such as a couple of 2270s and a 2275 etc, but from what I've read, it's ify with Marantz when you use even 4 ohm speakers. People have reported that their Marantz starts kicking the protection relay in and out with lower ohm speakers, but most of that is subjective since many people are running them with 40+ year old caps and out of tolerance voltages. Mine are all rebuilt (by me). I guess I'll have to see, but from what I'm hearing, they are worth the effort to set up.

mgl99

Post by mgl99 » 21 Apr 2018 08:15

I just went to the magnapan web page. This pair I bought are quite old. I'm sure there was no home theater back then. If I remember correctly, these panels were on stands, not hinge mounted to a wall. I seem to remember the alpha numeric designation 3a in association to them, but that was a long time ago.

katana1100

Post by katana1100 » 21 Apr 2018 18:23

I remember hooking up my acoustats to pioneer home theater receiver and it quickly got so hot that I could smell
it!
Make sure you place those Maggie’s away from the wall; they need space. The bad dispersion of them is a strength; without sound going all over, you get great detail.

I use a keychain laser to help aim my acoustats to the listening sweet spot.Assuming your amp can drive them, if they don’t sound good, work on aim and you might have to sound treatments.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 21 Apr 2018 18:51

Acoustats are more difficult to drive than Magnepans.
Although they are both large planar speakers, the operating principle is totally different and the load presented to the amplifier is very different.
Magnepan has a little guidance concerning amplifiers on their web site:
http://www.magnepan.com/faq#receivers

mgl99

Post by mgl99 » 22 Apr 2018 01:15

I went to the magnepan website and read what they had to say. It is helpful and I think my choice to drive these with my Pioneer 9500II integrated amp might be the right one. One thing about that amp that initially appealed to me was the fact that it has two power supplies, one for each channel. There are two big power transformers under the cover. Since this is a 70's vintage amp, the power rating is conservative as compared to today's manufacturers ratings. When I first try these panels, I will try that amp first. I've also got a couple of home theater amps that I don't use any more since I went to 7.1 with my home theater. They are up there around the 110 wpc range which might be an option.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 22 Apr 2018 19:59

You can find the owners manuals for the MGIIIA speakers and the Pioneer SA-9500II amp on the HiFiEngine site.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_libra ... -iii.shtml
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_libra ... 9500.shtml

I'm sure the SA-9500II will work.
But, if you follow Magnepan's advice (see their website FAQ), you may want to look for a power amp that puts out closer to twice the power at 4 ohws that it puts out at 8 ohms.
This indicates a high current capability, which is what the speakers need.
It's actually pretty rare that an amp puts out twice the power into 4 ohms, but the closer you can get to that, the better.
They are only 4 ohms impedance at low frequencies and 3 ohms at higher frequencies, so they will draw a lot of current from the amp, which generates heat, which shortens the life of the amp if it's not designed for such use.
The SA-9500ii is a fine amp, but it puts out 80W into 8 ohms and only and additional 20W into 4 ohms, indicating it doesn't have a high current capability.
There are some fairly inexpensive amps from NAD that might be a better match for not too much money. You could use the SA-9500ii as a preamp to drive the power amp.