the home of the turntable

Marantz or Superscope

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers

Marantz or Superscope

Postby snorrewiets » 03 Dec 2017 16:29

I would like to ask you guys if the brand Superscope is the same quality build as Marantz or less? For instance I have seen a very nice Superscope R-1270. I know that Superscope was the owner of Marantz and later Philips. :wink:
snorrewiets

Poland

Re: Marantz or Superscope

Postby Tinkaroo » 03 Dec 2017 17:20

It should be similar to the Marantz 2235 but without the gyroscopic tuning dial, plus should be more reasonably priced. They are supposed to be good build quality and use some of the same components as the Marantz.
It would be worth it if the price is fair.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby snorrewiets » 03 Dec 2017 20:01

Thanks, Tinkaroo.
The price I don't know yet, because I have to place a bid. So lets find out...
snorrewiets

Poland

Postby gofar99 » 03 Dec 2017 22:30

I have had both early Marantz and ones later after Sony bought them. The Sony ones are IMO only about equal to 80% of the quality of the earlier ones. The pre (about) 1977 Marantz receivers are made and assembled to a really high standard. I still have both a 2250 and a 2265B (which I am listening to at the moment). Neither has needed any service since new and both work perfectly. I suspect the consequence of the quality involved was the price. It made them non-competitive. A much later one (I forget what model now) is long gone.
gofar99
contributor

United States of America

Postby snorrewiets » 05 Dec 2017 11:54

Thanks for the comment Gofar.
@ Tinkaroo , I placed a bid 60 Euro and the seller agreed, so I have to wait now untill it arrives, later I will send pictures. I think it is a fair price. Regards, Ben.
snorrewiets

Poland

Postby Tinkaroo » 05 Dec 2017 12:00

snorrewiets wrote:Thanks for the comment Gofar.
@ Tinkaroo , I placed a bid 60 Euro and the seller agreed, so I have to wait now untill it arrives, later I will send pictures. I think it is a fair price. Regards, Ben.

That sounds like a very good deal Ben, congratulations! =D>

I will look forward to hearing your impressions and seeing some pictures after it arrives. I am sure you are looking forward to receiving it! :mrgreen:
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby snorrewiets » 05 Dec 2017 12:40

Yes thanks...
Now I have to wait, it is send from Holland to Poland where I live.
So, I have to be patient. :wink:
I have seen lately what ridiculous prices they ask for Marantz gear at the moment, even in a bad shape. #-o
snorrewiets

Poland

Postby Tinkaroo » 05 Dec 2017 13:01

I agree with you that the prices for Audio gear in general have gotten out of hand lately, and more so with Marantz. However if someone is patient then they may find a bargain or a sleeper out there.

Besides Marantz there are a lot of good manufacturers out there worth considering. Patience is the key however to not get ripped off and the term haste makes waste is appropriate. Oftentimes it is flippers just out to make a profit who know nothing about the piece they are selling. The sellers reputation is important and I will readily deal again with someone I have found to be trustworthy.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby snorrewiets » 05 Dec 2017 14:21

I have read your chapter about vintage receivers ( all pages ), very nice to read what vintage receivers the members have especially your collection, super ! =D> =D> =D>
snorrewiets

Poland

Postby Tinkaroo » 05 Dec 2017 14:38

Thanks, I really do love them and like to share that with fellow enthusiasts. I'm sure we have a Superscope or two in there somewhere. We would be happy to have a photo of your new receiver on there two some day.

Here are a couple of threads related to the high price of audio equipment lately.:

The first is dedicated to the bargain hunters among us and the deals they have found.
It's called the Cheapskates and Dumpster Divers Club
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=88346

The second is examples of particularly outrageous prices some have been asking for equipment the past while. It's called simply Stop The Insanity.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=74529
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby snorrewiets » 05 Dec 2017 15:42

Oooh my, so I have to read a lot pages about this interesting chapters, thats why we have VE !
=D>
snorrewiets

Poland

Postby jdjohn » 05 Dec 2017 18:41

Interesting topic. In another thread, I listed a few Marantz receivers I have recently "inherited", one of which is an SR-6000. It needs new lamps, so I contacted an eBay seller about getting a lamp kit. He mentioned that the SR-6000 was post-buy-out (1980-ish), and a "throw away" unit :shock: This is very disturbing as it looks to be a decent unit. I haven't poked around too much inside of it yet, but at 70WPC, it would be a shame to kick it to the curb :(
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 05 Dec 2017 20:22

jdjohn wrote:Interesting topic. In another thread, I listed a few Marantz receivers I have recently "inherited", one of which is an SR-6000. It needs new lamps, so I contacted an eBay seller about getting a lamp kit. He mentioned that the SR-6000 was post-buy-out (1980-ish), and a "throw away" unit :shock: This is very disturbing as it looks to be a decent unit. I haven't poked around too much inside of it yet, but at 70WPC, it would be a shame to kick it to the curb :(

Sometimes people can be a bit harsh in judging some of these early 80s models. I would be happy to hear your personal impressions and experience with it since some owners have had good things to say about it even if they are not as highly valued by collectors as the earlier Marantz models.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby theclosetguy » 07 Dec 2017 00:28

SuperScope bought Marantz from Saul Marantz and owned it until 1980 I believe. They sold Marantz to Philips in 1980 or so. .
Marantz and Superscope products never merged. They were completely different lines. Marantz quality faltered after Philips bought it.
Mike M
theclosetguy
contributor

United States of America

Postby snorrewiets » 07 Dec 2017 20:33

I have found this interesting article:
http://audio-room.net/a-poor-mans-maran ... pe-r-1270/
This tells a lot about Superscope R-1270.
snorrewiets

Poland

Next

Return to Amplifiers and Loudspeakers