the home of the turntable

What Speakers Should I Get?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers

What Speakers Should I Get?

Postby Gelid » 13 Nov 2017 07:30

What brand new speakers do I need to complete my system?

What I'm presently using are thrif-store Sony 3-ways (SS-D115) from an all-in-one unit sold in the 80's. They measure 17-3/8" tall, 10-1/4" wide and 6-7/8" deep.

Receiver is a Pioneer SX-850 (65 watts per-channel @ 8 ohms, freq 20 to 20,000 hertz)
Turntable is a Pioneer PL-71 with a Shure V15 MK III & MK IV.

My listening habits tend to older rock, prog, and jazz.

Prefer bookshelf speakers... otherwise I'd be moving furniture, and that would involve you-know-who.
Gelid

United States of America

Re: What Speakers Should I Get?

Postby cafe latte » 13 Nov 2017 10:10

Gelid wrote:What brand new speakers do I need to complete my system?

What I'm presently using are thrif-store Sony 3-ways (SS-D115) from an all-in-one unit sold in the 80's. They measure 17-3/8" tall, 10-1/4" wide and 6-7/8" deep.

Receiver is a Pioneer SX-850 (65 watts per-channel @ 8 ohms, freq 20 to 20,000 hertz)
Turntable is a Pioneer PL-71 with a Shure V15 MK III & MK IV.

My listening habits tend to older rock, prog, and jazz.

Prefer bookshelf speakers... otherwise I'd be moving furniture, and that would involve you-know-who.

Move furniture and if she moans change the you know who. :D
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby Tinkaroo » 13 Nov 2017 10:22

That is a question that will best be answered by your own ears and auditioning in person. The room size, listening location and speaker positioning can also be important factors.

I have a Pioneer SX-939 which is from the series just before yours that is rated at 70 watts per channel and right now I have it hooked up to some Paradigm 7Se speakers. One of the nice things about your receiver is that it has a very versatile tone control compared to most amps/receivers.

I also have a Pioneer SA-9500II amp which is probably closer in design and tone to your receiver, which is rated at 80 watts/channel. I have run that with Klipsch KG2 and Dynaco
A-40XL or A-25 speakers.

You can read about the Dynaco line here. The XL line is an updated variation on the older versions such as the A-25. The drivers are completely different from the older versions and they sound a bit brighter plus will handle more power with greater efficiency. Some prefer one over the other but that all depends on the person. There is another model of Dynaco speakers not listed there in the D-20XL which also sound excellent and are more rare.

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/c ... /speakers/
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby Lazarus Short » 14 Nov 2017 15:11

You should consider some high-performance bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. Keep in mind that small, unobtrusive subs are not really worth the money. To balance that, they do no need to be front-and-center. Even Realistic Minimus Sevens, which can be found cheap, with crossover mods, can sound great with a good sub.
Lazarus Short

United States of America

Postby TudorTurtle » 14 Nov 2017 15:24

^ What LS said.
I just heard the Cambridge Audio bookshelfs and was stunned. The sound quality was superb, and at $600/pair amazing bang for the buck. Used to recommend the entry Focals for bookshelves in this price range, but the Cambridge Areos are better.
TudorTurtle
contributor

United States of America

Postby Gelid » 14 Nov 2017 16:08

TudorTurtle wrote:^ What LS said.
I just heard the Cambridge Audio bookshelfs and was stunned. The sound quality was superb, and at $600/pair amazing bang for the buck.

Are you referring to the Aeromax 2?
Gelid

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 14 Nov 2017 21:46

Lazarus Short wrote:You should consider some high-performance bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. Keep in mind that small, unobtrusive subs are not really worth the money. To balance that, they do no need to be front-and-center. Even Realistic Minimus Sevens, which can be found cheap, with crossover mods, can sound great with a good sub.

As long are you using a sub for its original purpose with restively good mains.... meaning only frequencies below about 60 hz, a sub does not need not be front and center.... just in the general vicinity of the mains

However, if you using a sub for also much higher frequencies because of less then adequate mains, all bets are off. :)

Also, one has to qualify "small" as larger is not always better and there are many 8" subs that can blow larger subs away. :)
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby TudorTurtle » 14 Nov 2017 23:14

Gelid wrote:Are you referring to the Aeromax 2?

Yup.
TudorTurtle
contributor

United States of America

Postby Gelid » 15 Nov 2017 00:39

I didn't think a subwoofer was an option with my old pioneer.

Although, I do kind of remember reading about wiring one into to a two-channel system. I'll have to look at that, too.
Gelid

United States of America

Postby JoeE SP9 » 15 Nov 2017 21:17

Gelid wrote:I didn't think a subwoofer was an option with my old pioneer.

Although, I do kind of remember reading about wiring one into to a two-channel system. I'll have to look at that, too.

Just look for a sub with speaker level inputs.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 17 Nov 2017 01:46

JoeE SP9 wrote:
Gelid wrote:I didn't think a subwoofer was an option with my old pioneer.

Just look for a sub with speaker level inputs.

Yeah... :)

I tried both the low level and the high level (speaker) inputs on my sub and found no noticeable difference in the two as far as frequency response or over all sound quality.

So, I settled on the speaker inputs as it make the most sense and is the most convenient in my system. :)
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby SpeakerMania » 17 Nov 2017 03:57

Whenever I hear "subwoofer", I immediately think home theater, and your speakers are too small to adequately produce convincing bass. Your music preferences are all types that tend to focus on midrange as well, so I'd have to say it is time to put your foot down and man up with a decent pair of three ways. That being said, it is sometimes necessary to condescend to the wishes of significant others. I have a personal space for my music listening, so indulge in my favorite 3way speakers. Lots of modern multi-driver speakers will certainly play loud, but will never produce the distinct layers of treble, mid-range and bass that classic style three way speakers can. It is hard to escape the distinctive boom boom of a subwoofer in the background somewhere, distinct from the other ranges. And as mentioned by others....never take anyone else's suggestion as your choice until you've actually listened to them yourself. Your setup is totally unique to your space and your ears are different than others as well.....it is critical that you serve yourself here....... :D
If you aren't part of the solution,
then you are part of the problem.
SpeakerMania

Canada

Postby TudorTurtle » 17 Nov 2017 16:23

SpeakerMania wrote:never take anyone else's suggestion

Especially when the recommendation is What I Have!
Though the internet machismo is rather compelling. :lol:
TudorTurtle
contributor

United States of America

Postby Gelid » 20 Nov 2017 00:42

Right now I'm considering either Cambridge Audio Aeromax 2, or Bower &Wilkins 685 S2, with a strong lean towards the B&W's.
Gelid

United States of America

Return to Amplifiers and Loudspeakers