What Speakers Should I Get?

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Gelid
United States of America

What Speakers Should I Get?

Post by Gelid » 13 Nov 2017 07:30

What brand new speakers do I need to complete my system?

What I'm presently using are thrif-store Sony 3-ways (SS-D115) from an all-in-one unit sold in the 80's. They measure 17-3/8" tall, 10-1/4" wide and 6-7/8" deep.

Receiver is a Pioneer SX-850 (65 watts per-channel @ 8 ohms, freq 20 to 20,000 hertz)
Turntable is a Pioneer PL-71 with a Shure V15 MK III & MK IV.

My listening habits tend to older rock, prog, and jazz.

Prefer bookshelf speakers... otherwise I'd be moving furniture, and that would involve you-know-who.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Re: What Speakers Should I Get?

Post by cafe latte » 13 Nov 2017 10:10

Gelid wrote:What brand new speakers do I need to complete my system?

What I'm presently using are thrif-store Sony 3-ways (SS-D115) from an all-in-one unit sold in the 80's. They measure 17-3/8" tall, 10-1/4" wide and 6-7/8" deep.

Receiver is a Pioneer SX-850 (65 watts per-channel @ 8 ohms, freq 20 to 20,000 hertz)
Turntable is a Pioneer PL-71 with a Shure V15 MK III & MK IV.

My listening habits tend to older rock, prog, and jazz.

Prefer bookshelf speakers... otherwise I'd be moving furniture, and that would involve you-know-who.
Move furniture and if she moans change the you know who. :D
Chris

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 13 Nov 2017 10:22

That is a question that will best be answered by your own ears and auditioning in person. The room size, listening location and speaker positioning can also be important factors.

I have a Pioneer SX-939 which is from the series just before yours that is rated at 70 watts per channel and right now I have it hooked up to some Paradigm 7Se speakers. One of the nice things about your receiver is that it has a very versatile tone control compared to most amps/receivers.

I also have a Pioneer SA-9500II amp which is probably closer in design and tone to your receiver, which is rated at 80 watts/channel. I have run that with Klipsch KG2 and Dynaco
A-40XL or A-25 speakers.

You can read about the Dynaco line here. The XL line is an updated variation on the older versions such as the A-25. The drivers are completely different from the older versions and they sound a bit brighter plus will handle more power with greater efficiency. Some prefer one over the other but that all depends on the person. There is another model of Dynaco speakers not listed there in the D-20XL which also sound excellent and are more rare.

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/c ... /speakers/

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 14 Nov 2017 15:11

You should consider some high-performance bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. Keep in mind that small, unobtrusive subs are not really worth the money. To balance that, they do no need to be front-and-center. Even Realistic Minimus Sevens, which can be found cheap, with crossover mods, can sound great with a good sub.

TudorTurtle
United States of America

Post by TudorTurtle » 14 Nov 2017 15:24

^ What LS said.
I just heard the Cambridge Audio bookshelfs and was stunned. The sound quality was superb, and at $600/pair amazing bang for the buck. Used to recommend the entry Focals for bookshelves in this price range, but the Cambridge Areos are better.

Gelid
United States of America

Post by Gelid » 14 Nov 2017 16:08

TudorTurtle wrote:^ What LS said.
I just heard the Cambridge Audio bookshelfs and was stunned. The sound quality was superb, and at $600/pair amazing bang for the buck.
Are you referring to the Aeromax 2?

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 14 Nov 2017 21:46

Lazarus Short wrote:You should consider some high-performance bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. Keep in mind that small, unobtrusive subs are not really worth the money. To balance that, they do no need to be front-and-center. Even Realistic Minimus Sevens, which can be found cheap, with crossover mods, can sound great with a good sub.

As long are you using a sub for its original purpose with restively good mains.... meaning only frequencies below about 60 hz, a sub does not need not be front and center.... just in the general vicinity of the mains

However, if you using a sub for also much higher frequencies because of less then adequate mains, all bets are off. :)

Also, one has to qualify "small" as larger is not always better and there are many 8" subs that can blow larger subs away. :)

TudorTurtle
United States of America

Post by TudorTurtle » 14 Nov 2017 23:14

Gelid wrote: Are you referring to the Aeromax 2?
Yup.

Gelid
United States of America

Post by Gelid » 15 Nov 2017 00:39

I didn't think a subwoofer was an option with my old pioneer.

Although, I do kind of remember reading about wiring one into to a two-channel system. I'll have to look at that, too.

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 15 Nov 2017 21:17

Gelid wrote:I didn't think a subwoofer was an option with my old pioneer.

Although, I do kind of remember reading about wiring one into to a two-channel system. I'll have to look at that, too.
Just look for a sub with speaker level inputs.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 17 Nov 2017 01:46

JoeE SP9 wrote:
Gelid wrote:I didn't think a subwoofer was an option with my old pioneer.

Just look for a sub with speaker level inputs.

Yeah... :)

I tried both the low level and the high level (speaker) inputs on my sub and found no noticeable difference in the two as far as frequency response or over all sound quality.

So, I settled on the speaker inputs as it make the most sense and is the most convenient in my system. :)

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 17 Nov 2017 03:57

Whenever I hear "subwoofer", I immediately think home theater, and your speakers are too small to adequately produce convincing bass. Your music preferences are all types that tend to focus on midrange as well, so I'd have to say it is time to put your foot down and man up with a decent pair of three ways. That being said, it is sometimes necessary to condescend to the wishes of significant others. I have a personal space for my music listening, so indulge in my favorite 3way speakers. Lots of modern multi-driver speakers will certainly play loud, but will never produce the distinct layers of treble, mid-range and bass that classic style three way speakers can. It is hard to escape the distinctive boom boom of a subwoofer in the background somewhere, distinct from the other ranges. And as mentioned by others....never take anyone else's suggestion as your choice until you've actually listened to them yourself. Your setup is totally unique to your space and your ears are different than others as well.....it is critical that you serve yourself here....... :D

TudorTurtle
United States of America

Post by TudorTurtle » 17 Nov 2017 16:23

SpeakerMania wrote:never take anyone else's suggestion
Especially when the recommendation is What I Have!
Though the internet machismo is rather compelling. :lol:

Gelid
United States of America

Post by Gelid » 20 Nov 2017 00:42

Right now I'm considering either Cambridge Audio Aeromax 2, or Bower &Wilkins 685 S2, with a strong lean towards the B&W's.

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 20 Nov 2017 18:33

SpeakerMania wrote:Whenever I hear "subwoofer", I immediately think home theater, and your speakers are too small to adequately produce convincing bass. Your music preferences are all types that tend to focus on midrange as well, so I'd have to say it is time to put your foot down and man up with a decent pair of three ways. That being said, it is sometimes necessary to condescend to the wishes of significant others. I have a personal space for my music listening, so indulge in my favorite 3way speakers. Lots of modern multi-driver speakers will certainly play loud, but will never produce the distinct layers of treble, mid-range and bass that classic style three way speakers can. It is hard to escape the distinctive boom boom of a subwoofer in the background somewhere, distinct from the other ranges. And as mentioned by others....never take anyone else's suggestion as your choice until you've actually listened to them yourself. Your setup is totally unique to your space and your ears are different than others as well.....it is critical that you serve yourself here....... :D
Much of this post is so full of incorrect BS I'm not sure where to begin.

My recently retired Acoustat Spectra 22's (purchased new in 1989) came with their own subwoofer. This was way before HT became popular. The truth is, a decent subwoofer(s) properly integrated will improve the sound of even the best 3 way 12" woofered "vintage" speakers.

For 20+ years I've been using a pair of DIY 12" TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O's) that are currently crossed over at ~50Hz and equalized flat to ~18Hz. Those subwoofers are currently enhancing the bass of my Magnepan 1.7's (with the Acoustats I used an 80Hz crossover frequency). Other than being a large visual presence in my dedicated acoustically treated room, the only time anyone audibly knows they are there is when I turn their amplifiers off. The lack of deep bass is instantly and easily audible to anyone. The two biggest problems with many subwoofer setups are.
1. It's a cheap HT oriented sub that came with an inexpensive HT in a box. This usually means it doesn't have any deep bass.
2. It's set up with a crossover point to high and most often turned up to loud.

Any "decent" properly adjusted sub woofer will only announce it's presence by the lack of deep bass when it's turned off. If you can tell there is a sub present it's almost always too loud.

The speakers that won't benefit from a properly adjusted subwoofer tend to be all out assaults on the state of the art and most of them include their own subwoofers. In 50 years with this hobby I've never heard any 3 way 12" woofered speaker that wouldn't benefit from the addition of one or preferably multiple subwoofers.

For those who are curious there are a number of threads on Audio Karma that discuss this very subject. The general consensus is that subwoofers improve the low end with the only drawbacks being the cost and the space required. The only question is, distributed (multiple mono) or stereo subs. I use mine in stereo. But then, I also use a separate electronic crossover.

BTW: I use a calibrated microphone, REW (Room Equalization Wizard) and a parametric DSP to equalize my system to be flat to ~18Hz at 85dB at my listening position. REW is available as a free download from the REW web site. Mini DSP has the Umik1 calibrated microphone for $75. Parts Express carries the same mic for a slightly higher price. Both microphones come with an individual calibration curve that can be plugged into REW.

If you can "hear" a subwoofer it's turned up too loud.