Dead Polk Audio Subwoofer Again

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers
Analogd
New Zealand

Dead Polk Audio Subwoofer Again

Post by Analogd » 11 Aug 2019 22:32

I have a small Polk Audio PSW111 subwoofer that is only used for occasional home theatre duties.
It has stopped working for the second time. The local agent replaced the plate amp last time but I am reluctant to do this again as looking on the internet this model has a bad track record of this amp being unreliable.
As an alternative it occurred to me that I could use a stand alone subwoofer mono amp, such as supplied by Nobsound ( great name ), which could be connected to the internal speaker.
I use the subwoofer connection on the back of my Denon AVR to feed the subwoofer with everything below 80hz, and don't use the internal crossover or adjustments other than volume.
Is there any logical reason why this wouldn't work or be a good idea ????? :D
Last edited by Analogd on 11 Aug 2019 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Dead Polk Audio Subwoofer Again

Post by jdjohn » 11 Aug 2019 22:42

:-k Do you mean less than 80Hz? Couple of thoughts:
- Try Polk customer service. They are usually pretty good.
- Try registering at Polk Audio forum, and asking there. They're a good bunch of guys, and it is a very active forum.

Analogd
New Zealand

Post by Analogd » 14 Aug 2019 10:29

jdjohn wrote:
11 Aug 2019 22:42
:-k Do you mean less than 80Hz? Couple of thoughts:
- Try Polk customer service. They are usually pretty good.
- Try registering at Polk Audio forum, and asking there. They're a good bunch of guys, and it is a very active forum.
Thanks for the input, but I have already done both of those things.
It appears that if Polk Audio do provide a replacement amp it is just the same as the one that has a history of failure after two or three years. They have never corrected this design fault.
For that reason I was considering just using a separate 100 -150 watt mono amp from the avr subwoofer line output to the subwoofer speaker. I don't use or need the crossover in the subwoofer amp as this is provided by the avr.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 14 Aug 2019 16:33

I frequent the Polk forum pretty regularly, but couldn't find your post searching for PSW111. Anyway, I did find this thread where replacing a few capacitors in that model helped cure various maladies: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/ ... nt_2511524 In another thread there, someone mentioned just replacing it due to its age...not worth the additional cost and effort to put a band-aid on it. The direct quote was:

"Sorry to be blunt, but its a $200 big box sub. It probably cost $50-75 max to make, but the cost to repair or replace the amp will be almost as much as the sub. 10 years is a LOT of use. You should be pleased honestly."

SpruceMoose

Post by SpruceMoose » 18 Aug 2019 22:08

I have changed a couple of subs over to passive with external amps. If you are feeding it a low-passed signal from an AV system you can use just about anything to power it. I have even used a JVC A/V receiver with a blown channel to power one. The maximum volume will be compromised, but probably not too badly.

Analogd
New Zealand

Post by Analogd » 19 Aug 2019 06:29

I've ordered a 100 watt mono amp from ebay which I will hook up instead of the dead plate amp.
It will be interesting to see and hear how it performs compared to the original.
Cheers.

Analogd
New Zealand

Post by Analogd » 26 Aug 2019 03:55

Sorted !
I've connected up the little $20 class D mono amp as discussed and it works brilliantly.
You really have to question the original rating of 100 watts that Polk Audio claim for this subwoofer as I find with this little wonder connected I only have to use about 1/3 volume to achieve excellent listening levels.
I have powered it with an ex laptop 19volt dc switchmode psu.
Cheers.
Attachments
Subwoofer Amp 002.JPG
(174.57 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Subwoofer Amp 001.JPG
(113.07 KiB) Downloaded 22 times