the home of the turntable

MOSS FETT amps

amplifiers, receivers and loudspeakers

Re: MOSS FETT amps

Postby rbbugs » 18 Jul 2018 18:40

Thank you guys, I appreciate the input. Leg pulling is fun as long as you get around to the subject, rather sooner than later. As I am rebuilding my speakers it will be a while before I get to hear this amp perform.
rbbugs

Postby cats squirrel » 18 Jul 2018 19:01

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:Thank you aardvarkash......it is a decent piece of audio equipment...not for the purists, but then again, purists are really chasing their own particular squirrels...

Hey, what are you saying?

I'm building what will be my last amplifier, and it is one with FET output transistors, the ones designed for audio. Design is Indian, and super symmetrical, with current feedback.

I listen mostly to classical music (well Baroque, mostly), where 'pure' is king. That is why I chose a design using Lateral MOSFET's. Two amplifier boards per stereo channel, feeding two mid range units per channel (one with a real ribbon tweeter).
cats squirrel
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby justjed0001 » 19 Jul 2018 00:39

The two most important things in an amp are the power supply, followed the circuits. In stereo, you should have more than enough clean power for almost any reasonable pair of speakers. I'd try to stick to 8 ohm speakers, but it isn't mandatory. Other than that, have fun with it.

As I said in post #3, I like the MOSFET sound, if it's done well. I've been using a 1981 Soundcraftsmen A2502 MOSFET amp in my main system for at least 15 years, and it's the only component that hasn't changed at least twice.
justjed0001

United States of America

Postby Audie » 23 Jul 2018 18:06

My Perreaux PMF2150B Mosfet amp has been with me since mid 1980, and has since been reworked with premium parts. It compares very well against the best of my other 6 amps.
Audie
contributor

Australia

Postby jusbe » 24 Jul 2018 22:45

The Sirius (GamuT) D-200 is a stupendous amp. Now way out of my price range, I wish I had bought one when it first came out!
jusbe

United Kingdom

Previous

Return to Amplifiers and Loudspeakers